Iorio Restaurant

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 BiscuitQueen

BiscuitQueen
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:44 PM

This new Italian place near my house called Iorio just opened up earlier this month. Has anyone on this board eaten there yet?

#2 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:23 PM

I just noticed that it finally opened, so I hope to go there soon.

As a side note, I went to 3 Doors Down last night and had the Vodka Penne with Sweet Italian Sausage. Flat out delicious and I will be going back for it again soon.

Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#3 Leopoldo

Leopoldo
  • Members
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, movies, food and more movies.

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:29 AM

I love a well cooked Vodka Penne but only know one joint in town that makes it 'right' (which is to say the way I like it) and that is unfortunately Assagio in Eastmoreland. I say unfortunate because while their pasta is good, the place as a whole is overrated and overpriced. I have tried the Vodka Penne at various other local eateries but to my taste the plate should 'bite back', that is to say have a bit of spice and a sharp taste to it. Is the VP at 3 Doors down at all spicy?
-Leopoldo
Come over to the dark side. We have cookies!
http://www.geekroar.com/

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

They just did a review of this place in WW, I believe.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:41 AM

The vodka penne at 3 Doors Down is pretty tasty and I remember it as relatively spicy. But it's been about a year and a half or almost two years since I had it.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:23 PM

Leopoldo....for some reason this dish is rarely as spicey as it's supposed to be...My favorite place to have it is unfortunately in SF, Nob Hill Cafe...but 3 Doors Down is a damn close second..a nice bite indeed...& it comes with 2 yummy sausage links! They make sure you have chili flakes if you're one that needs to add them...I usually add chili flakes to nearly every pasta dish...this dish I didn't need to

Kim
Apizza Scholls

#7 Leopoldo

Leopoldo
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

Thank you Kim. I think I should visit 3-Doors Down before they have a chance to change their menu (I am under the impression they rotate menus with some frequency) and try it out.
-Leopoldo

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:02 PM

I've never been into 3 Doors when the vodka sauce wasn't on the menu. It's their signature dish. But if you love it, jump on it. It's relatively close to your house.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:31 PM

Leopoldo...They've told us they can't take it off the menu......too many regulars were very upset..so don't worry about that.

Merry Christmas!
kim

#10 Leopoldo

Leopoldo
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:48 PM

There is some beautiful synchronicity in the air today! I had lunch with a friend (we went to Gravy) who is a Vodka aficionado and learned to cook Italian during the three years she lived there. We talked Vodka Penne (she prefers hers not spicy) over a very different but very good lunch. :)
-Leopoldo

#11 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

I hate to be such a pessimist in my first post, but I just ate at Iorio today for the first time. I have been lurking around this board for a while and wanted to check up on KC's tastes since she just wrote up the joint yesterday in the WWeek. Frankly, the food needs a lot of work, though the staff is nice enough, and the effort seems to be there.

I should have known to run away when I saw that they had a Caprese sandwich on the menu three days from Christmas. The French onion soup was the smash hit of the table, but to me the stock reeked of purchased boullion and had little depth and a wormy consistency.

Gnocchi in porcini cream took some chill off my bones, and was definitely passable, but I have a really hard time believing they were made in house, as evidenced by the grooved exterior that I associate with the cryo-vacced Dececco. The menu did not state that they were house-made.

"Nebbiolo pizza" is something I don't ever want to eat again. Gorgonzola and mascrapone sandwiched between two pizza skins, with a drizzle of black truffle oil. It was a car wreck order, in that, having had the dish described to me as an Italian quesidilla, I had to try it. I ate two pieces of unintegrated flavors mashed together with the excuse of being a "pizza" and pushed the rest to the side. A friend tells me there is a stuffed bread in Liguria and Emilia-Romagna that might be what was getting riffed on with this abortion, but, frankly, I don't care if there is some tradition getting a nod. I will dive into some books tonight to try to figure this out. Don't order this dish.

My friend's pulled pork sandwich was inedible on the foccacio it came on, and when he dumped it onto the plate as a free form salad it became obvious that the cabbage was really spinach and the flavor was not improved.

Other friend had the Mellaneze and found it inedible. The flavorless tomatos were probably the highlight, the eggplant a testament to how much flavor a fryer can impart. There was nothing worthwhile here, and so she ate her soup.

The winelist is thoughtful if not deep, with good glass pours and an easy to read layout. I have no idea what sort of stemware is offered.

KC makes some points about value in her piece. There is no value here. We wound up dropping about 14 dollars a person with the only drink a $2.50 beer. I went and grabbed a burrito about half an hour later.

I wish them the best, but this is corporate chain food rendered in a sterile little environment. I hope they take some time to pull it together.

As a side note, the stupid comments of the owner of the wine shop next door that there are no wines between 13 and 20 dollars that are worth the expense is testimony to the ignorance of food journalists in this town. To publish something like that without a rebuttal, something that could be offered by most consumers in Portland, is shameful.

I promise to be less feisty in the future.

#12 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

I promise to be less feisty in the future.

Why would you want to do that? :wink:

Man, your table must have been littered with uneaten food. I wonder if they knew you didn't like it.

And how was the service?

--mcz

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:02 AM

Welcome to the site.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#14 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:49 PM

MostlyRunning, first welcome.

Second, I went to one restaurant based on a KC WWeek review and was completely disappointed. I think she is more of a shill for new places to get ads for her employer than a serious reviewer. After that experience, I don't give her reviews any regard. The local food websites are far more informative.

And heck we all speak our minds here positive or negative on any subject.

#15 lutece

lutece
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:49 AM

(Moderator note: This post has been merged into an earlier thread)

I just came across an old ad for Iorio. It seems to have slipped under the radar. Willy Week briefly reviewed it in December 05. Their on-line menus don't look bad. Has anyone eaten there? What are your thoughts?

#16 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

A girlfriend and I ate there back in March and had a very pleasant meal. Although I ended up doing something that drives me nuts - eating *way too much* bread before the appetizer and entree comes out and then being too full to eat my dinner! The white bean and garlic spread that we were served with the bread was delicious and if I had known before hand, I wouldn't have ordered an appetizer at all.

For our appetizers we ordered the 'chef surprise' which is a random assortment of three items of the kitchen's choice. That night we were served a salmon, crab cake, fried calamari & an eggplant Neapolitan We told the server that my friend didn't eat red meat, so I assume that is why it was a seafood, veggie centric selection, but I'm not positive. I remember liking the salmon, crab cake and the calamari okay, although I thought the calamari could use a little less breading. The eggplant I didn't care for, but part of that was because it was fried so that the outside was very hard and the center still soft. However the hardness on the outside made it very difficult to eat and I gave up after one bite.

My friend's main course was a seafood pasta which I don't remember if I tasted or not, she however thought it was very good. I had duck for my entree and I remember liking the duck a lot, but the rice cake that it was on had the same problem as the eggplant - so hard on the outside that even though it was soft and creamy on the inside it wasn't worth the work to get there. Very good duck though and since I was getting so full at the point, I just ate the duck and left the rest of the dish. I'm pretty sure we passed on dessert.

We got there early, 5:30 on a Friday night, and were only one of two tables with customers. By the time we left at 8:00 or so, every table was full and people were waiting, but there didn't appear to be a long wait. We found the service to be very good, and after we finished eating the chef came out to ask how our meal was. The chef and I started talking and I asked him how business was going. He said that he was doing around 45 dinners a night during the week and about 60, 65 on the weekends. I thought that sounded a little low, but he said that it was exactly where he wanted it. He mentioned that he worked for Rich Melman at Lettuce Entertain You in Chicago, and was now perfectly happy with a more laid back pace. Our server was also his wife and I believe the other server was her sister. Or something like that.

Decent wine list and a decent meal that was not too expensive; I'd go again.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#17 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:32 PM

Cat-

If my advice on scooters or wine has had any merit for you, don't bother with Iorio. For what it's worth, there was a brief thread a few months ago where I posted my experience.

MR

#18 Chambolle

Chambolle
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

Also, they recently lost their kitchen manager, who had been with them since the beginning.

#19 The Mick

The Mick
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:42 PM

The Chef is the owner, so the loss of the "kitchen manager" cannot be that big of a deal

#20 Hilary Benson

Hilary Benson
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

(note this post has been merged into the original thread)

Dear Mostly Running

I saw your post in December and again in July----I wish you could step outside yourself and see that there are people in this world that live their dreams and attempt to make a life doing something they love.

Chris and I opened this restaurant with our own limited resources to create a lifestyle wherein we could raise a family and be contributing members of society. Yes, Chris worked for Aramark, a large corporation for 3 years. But we in no way set out to make a corporate restaurant. We hoped to create a family dining establishment and sacrificed everything we hold dear in order to do so.

I have reflected on your post for months, and tried to let it go, but after viewing your most recent “thread”/response I feel compelled to tell YOU how I feel.

I truly wish if you EVER have a meal at a dining establishment in the future that you are so miserable with, you DO NOT sit back when the wait staff and the Chef ask you if everything is okay---you say something.

We can improve from feedback, we learn from criticism. At the very least we could buy your meal. But please do not let people at your table remark about how WONDERFUL the soup is……………and then plot your attack.

It’s malicious.

Yeah, we get that the restaurant industry is competitive. We understand we put ourselves out there every day—with our first and last names on the menu—you are entering OUR HOME and we are cooking YOU food. As sappy as that sounds, it’s true.

We do so because we are passionate about people and food; not because we want to make the almighty corporate dollar in a “sterile environment” !! Believe me, there are many more lucrative ways to turn a profit in this world.

Basically, what I really need you to know is
WE ARE DOING THE BEST WE CAN—and that is all anyone can ask for in life.

You commented in December that you wished us the best—feisty or not, we invite you to return and try it again ON US.
-Hilary Benson