Blueplate

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Lelonopo

Lelonopo
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

There's some fabulous new signage up in the windows of the Dekum building on Washington and Third introducing a new lunch counter called Blueplate. They couldn't have picked a better location for this "breakfast and lunch counter" to be serving classic comfort food including some items they're listing including meatloaf, root beer floats, orange creams, iceberg wedge, among others....there's paper up in the windows so you can't see in. Anyone know when they're opening or anything else? They list eatatblueplate.com for more info but doesn't look like it's up yet.

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info and welcome to the site.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 hatchetface

hatchetface
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:28 AM

they are planning to open in early october. the chef has done a lot of "fine dining" and wants to go back to simple, affordable goodness.

#4 Blueplate Beth

Blueplate Beth
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

So glad you noticed our space...check out our blog with loads of details. While you are on the site, don't forget to vote for your favorite soda flavor!

http://eatatblueplate.blogspot.com

BTW - no breakfast, just lunch and early supper. :-)

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:33 AM

They opened yesterday, btw...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#6 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

Isn't somebody from Park Kitchen running this place? It sounds great.
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#7 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:22 PM

I went there today for lunch. I got a chocolate malt and a roast turkey plate. The malt tasted great, thick with good-tasting ice cream, though it had a fair amount of ice chunks in it, and the sprinkles on top of the whipped cream were nastily fake-tasting. It was also pretty big; my "small" malt filled one of those big old-fashioned glass shake... glasses. Overall, I liked it despite the ice and just used my straw so I could ignore the sprinkles. :blush:

The turkey lunch was good as well. It was kind of a stacked-up plate, with a mound of mashed (skin-on) potatoes, some broccoli florets, and a few slices of turkey breast, surrounded by brown gravy and, for some reason, a sprinkling of scallions. Everything tasted very good, though I could imagine someone that wasn't me might find it a big heavy on the salt. My two issues with it were that the turkey had a fair bit of pepper sprinkled on it, more than I might have wanted, and the turkey was already cooling off when it was served. Cool or no, however, it wasn't dry at all and had a nice bit of tasty browned skin. The potatoes were very... potatoey tasting, and were cut with broth probably, not with a lot of cream. I grew up with insanely creamy whipped potatoes, but I really liked these nonetheless. The gravy was quite tasty and there was just about exactly enough for my tastes.

The menu was pretty small, food-wise. Besides my plate, I remember a meatloaf sandwich (with some sort of aioli on what I think was a hoagie roll) and some sort of lunch-salad. There was also tomato soup, and you could get soup and a grilled cheese. The prices were fine, $8 for my lunch, $3-something for my shake, $6 for the sandwich.

And the space itself is cute as hell. Lot of (recently-stained; I could smell the varnish) dark wood and olde-tyme-drug-store-counter-cum-new-portland-eatery feel. There weren't too many tables, though there were like six cute green counter stools to sit at too. I was offered the table-or-counter option when I showed up, but am too lame at new conversation to take up the counter offer. As for service, it was quick and extremely friendly.

I'm so very much going back.

#8 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

Jeff, the owner of Blueplate, is a client of mine, so understand I am biased.

I think Jeff and Beth, his supportive spouse, have done a wonderful job filling a grossly underserved niche in town. Who the hell else is doing a modern lunch counter and soda fountain? Add in the "cute" factor which is undeniable (think apothecary chic) and the downtown location (with its built in clientele) and you should have a winner so long as the execution is competent.

The savory item selection is tiny (changing daily I understand), but the fountain selections are abundant, unique and flavorful. I hate excessively sweet stuff, especially standard soda pop, but still enjoyed the chai soda and the "purple haze," a soda made with hisbiscus and star anise, among other elements.

My chocolate malt today was stand up straw thick. I didn't notice the sprinkle taste. I would have preferred more malt powder, however. I also would have enjoyed another slice of turkey or so with the turkey and smashed taters lunch since I gave the broccoli away to my colleague. My colleague's meatloaf sandwich on hoagie roll with herb aioli was delicious.

I think Jeff can use a week or two to work out the kinks. So far, no credit card usability and the temp on my dish could have been hotter. I consider these quibbles, however, and expect the best.

--mcz

#9 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

Oh wow, I'm pretty jazzed to try this place. Thanks for the reviews. Meatloaf sannies are a big favorite of mine, and I'm not happy that Grand Central doesn't serve em much of the year!

#10 lavendersoda

lavendersoda
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

anyone know the hours? Open on Saturday?

#11 Blueplate Beth

Blueplate Beth
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

anyone know the hours? Open on Saturday?

M-F
11 am - 7 pm

credit cards now accepted!

#12 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:58 PM

Checked this out today as I had a 2 hour lunch to kill to avoid unauthorized overtime. Came in at 3pm and there was just one other customers finishing up a soda. I ordered a brown cow (chocolate syrup, root beer, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream) and was amazed. The vanilla ice cream was amazing - super premium, smooth, creamy texture, complex vanilla flavor, and no "too much butterfat" mouthfeel. Mmmmmmmmmmm.... after a few spoonfuls, I dunked in the rest of the scoop to melt into the soda and stirred away. Root beer was your standard Stewart's, but the combo was orgasmic. As the above poster said, it was served in a massive (over 32 ounce) old-fashioned ice cream soda glass on a plate, with an extra-large straw and spoon.

Food-wise the menu was severely limited. They have tomato soup and grilled cheese, 1 special, mac-n-cheese, and 1 salad. The special was a meat loaf plate, the salad was a Asian Chicken salad. Since I have been totally craving tomato soup and a grilled cheese, that's what I had. Crisp Grilled Cheese without being greasy and a cheese blend that was nostalgically plain cheese without being straight American. Tomato soup was home-made, chunky, well-spiced, and good (not amazing). Service was very attentive and personal. Two criticisms - the bar does not have a foot rest bar which makes it uncomfortable to linger and the place was cold, unpleasantly so, despite wearing long sleeves. To be perfect, it needs an expanded food menu, especially sides (daily vegetable side, side of mac n cheese). If only I didn't work in the wilds of Hillsboro, I would be here often.

Sarah

#13 xericx

xericx
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

Checked this out today as I had a 2 hour lunch to kill to avoid unauthorized overtime. Came in at 3pm and there was just one other customers finishing up a soda. I ordered a brown cow (chocolate syrup, root beer, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream) and was amazed. The vanilla ice cream was amazing - super premium, smooth, creamy texture, complex vanilla flavor, and no "too much butterfat" mouthfeel. Mmmmmmmmmmm.... after a few spoonfuls, I dunked in the rest of the scoop to melt into the soda and stirred away. Root beer was your standard Stewart's, but the combo was orgasmic. As the above poster said, it was served in a massive (over 32 ounce) old-fashioned ice cream soda glass on a plate, with an extra-large straw and spoon.

Food-wise the menu was severely limited. They have tomato soup and grilled cheese, 1 special, mac-n-cheese, and 1 salad. The special was a meat loaf plate, the salad was a Asian Chicken salad. Since I have been totally craving tomato soup and a grilled cheese, that's what I had. Crisp Grilled Cheese without being greasy and a cheese blend that was nostalgically plain cheese without being straight American. Tomato soup was home-made, chunky, well-spiced, and good (not amazing). Service was very attentive and personal. Two criticisms - the bar does not have a foot rest bar which makes it uncomfortable to linger and the place was cold, unpleasantly so, despite wearing long sleeves. To be perfect, it needs an expanded food menu, especially sides (daily vegetable side, side of mac n cheese). If only I didn't work in the wilds of Hillsboro, I would be here often.

Sarah

I could not find it....where is it exactly on 3rd and Washington? I saw the little sign on the sidewalk but couldn't find the cafe?????

I ended up walking over to Mother's Bistro from a previous recommendation (visiting from out of town), and enjoyed a Tuna Melt.

#14 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

It's right next door to a store that sells fancy gift-wrapping and such. It's kind of tucked in on Washington, off of 3rd.

#15 xericx

xericx
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

thanks.....if I do go back downtown, i'll check it out for sure.....

#16 Lelonopo

Lelonopo
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

I've eaten here several times, and yes, the lack of a footrest at the bar makes sitting there pretty much unbearable. While the food is limited, it's pretty good, but the salad portion size was teency tiny. Drinks are awesome, staff is great. I think it's a little overpriced for what it is, personally, but I hope they do well.

#17 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:16 PM

Ate here for lunch today with my wife. Several tables and a decent sized counter. Definitely has an old soda fountain feel. Very spare kitchen, only a couple electric griddles and some countertop electric burners for keeping soup hot and such.

You can see the menus below (lunch menu changes often):

Soda Fountain

* Blueplate Special: Spaghetti Meaball, $8
* Sandwich Special: Meatloaf Sandwich side of mashed potatoes, $6
* Salad Special: BLT Salad basil dressing, $5
* Tomato Soup, $2.50
* Soup & Grilled Cheese Sandwich, $5

Started with a Chai Bomb soda for $3. I enjoyed the flavor a lot -- complex, not too sweet, aromatic -- but it was about 75% ice and the soda part wasn't very carbonated. I'd try another, but I have a feeling that the floats might be a better value.

We shared the salad. It was a decent portion of chopped romaine covered in the creamy dressing mixed with plenty of tomato chunks and quality bacon pieces. It also came with a piece of toast. A good salad. It'd be better in tomato season, but it was made about as well as it could be, except that the toast was only crisped on one side.

My wife got the soup and grilled cheese. The soup was excellent -- tomatoey, slightly tangy, and a little creamy. Very tasty. The grilled cheese, was acceptable. The bread could have been grilled more and the cheese more melted. And the cheese was fairly bland. A sharper cheddar or a blend of cheese would be nice. But to some degree, it's just a large cracker for dipping and at $5....

I got the meatloaf sandwich. It came as two thick slices of meatloaf on a soft sub style bun with tomato, lettuce, and thousand island. I think I could have done without the tomato and the thousand island was a bit heavy and overwhelming. Tasting the meatloaf by itself, though, it was very enjoyable. It had a lot of flavor and was a good blend of meatiness and seasoning. The mashed potatoes were excellent. They were yellow, still a little lumpy with skins, and garlicky. They had a brown gravy over the top. Perhaps a little salty, but very rich and addictive.

Overall, I enjoyed our meal. It was fairly priced, simple food, done well. Could be improved, but certainly doesn't have to be, especially at the prices.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#18 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

Ate here for lunch today with my wife. Several tables and a decent sized counter. Definitely has an old soda fountain feel. Very spare kitchen, only a couple electric griddles and some countertop electric burners for keeping soup hot and such.

You can see the menus below (lunch menu changes often):

Soda Fountain

* Blueplate Special: Spaghetti Meaball, $8
* Sandwich Special: Meatloaf Sandwich side of mashed potatoes, $6
* Salad Special: BLT Salad basil dressing, $5
* Tomato Soup, $2.50
* Soup & Grilled Cheese Sandwich, $5

Started with a Chai Bomb soda for $3. I enjoyed the flavor a lot -- complex, not too sweet, aromatic -- but it was about 75% ice and the soda part wasn't very carbonated. I'd try another, but I have a feeling that the floats might be a better value.

We shared the salad. It was a decent portion of chopped romaine covered in the creamy dressing mixed with plenty of tomato chunks and quality bacon pieces. It also came with a piece of toast. A good salad. It'd be better in tomato season, but it was made about as well as it could be, except that the toast was only crisped on one side.

My wife got the soup and grilled cheese. The soup was excellent -- tomatoey, slightly tangy, and a little creamy. Very tasty. The grilled cheese, was acceptable. The bread could have been grilled more and the cheese more melted. And the cheese was fairly bland. A sharper cheddar or a blend of cheese would be nice. But to some degree, it's just a large cracker for dipping and at $5....

I got the meatloaf sandwich. It came as two thick slices of meatloaf on a soft sub style bun with tomato, lettuce, and thousand island. I think I could have done without the tomato and the thousand island was a bit heavy and overwhelming. Tasting the meatloaf by itself, though, it was very enjoyable. It had a lot of flavor and was a good blend of meatiness and seasoning. The mashed potatoes were excellent. They were yellow, still a little lumpy with skins, and garlicky. They had a brown gravy over the top. Perhaps a little salty, but very rich and addictive.

Overall, I enjoyed our meal. It was fairly priced, simple food, done well. Could be improved, but certainly doesn't have to be, especially at the prices.

I've been looking for good meatloaf. Sammich or with brown gravy. I'll have to try this place. I like the brown gravy kind of mloaf over the tomato. Not crazy about mashed potatos with skins either.

Steve

#19 chocolategirl

chocolategirl
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:09 AM

I have been hearing good things about Blue Plate, but wanted to know your thoughts. Loved Park Kitchen when Jeff Reiter was the sous chef. Would love to hear what anyone out there thinks.

#20 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:13 AM

Welcome to the site chocolategirl!

You can find some discussion of that topic here: http://portlandfood....mp;hl=blueplate

And if you use the search feature at the bottom of the forum, you can scare up a Park Kitchen thread too. We like each restaurant to have it's own thread here...keeps things neat, tidy and easy to find.

In fact, I'm going to merge this topic/post with the existing blueplate thread...