East Wind Drive-In, Cascade Locks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cdevs

cdevs
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

I'm too frightened try anything else there yet, but the soft-serve ice cream at East Wind Drive-In rules. It is silky, rich, flavorful and inexpensive -- easily the best I've had out here in DairyQueenLand. (Grew up in the Northeast, with good ice cream on most every corner.) Do yourself a favor and stop for a cone after a hot day in Hood River or thereabouts. It's unmissable on the main drag through town.

P.S. Anybody had anything decent to eat there from the fryer? If so, I might give it a try at lunchtime some day.

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Always appreciate a good soft-serve cone.

BTW, the cones at the Multnomah Falls snack bar are suprisingly good (for a from-a-mix at a snack bar, ya know).

Damn, I miss Carvel. ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

Any trip up the Gorge usually ends up with a detour to Cascade Locks for chocolate shakes and malts at the East Wind. I've tried their food. It's just like any other common small town burger joint. They are kind of slow getting it to you, but that is because of all the people they've got lined up for shakes and cones, I figure.

It's always great and you can walk up or drive up.

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 cdevs

cdevs
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

Damn, I miss Carvel. ;o)

The father of one of my best friends left Wall Street to open a Carvel in our town around 1977 or so. Mass quantities of vanilla crunch were consumed. Things were great until his pops started hittin' the sauce real hard in the back room and all the fun kinda drained out of it. Sad story.

Cookie Puss and Fudgie The Whale were cool, but the whole frozen soft ice cream experience was/is kinda wack (see Costco). I'd usually go for a Mud Pie or a Grasshopper Pie from B-R instead. Or those cupcake things with the frozen icing faces on them.

Everyone has their best soft-serve candidates back there, but the most reliable for us was the Red Rooster Drive-in in Brewster NY. Mainly because my Dad loved it and we'd invariably been cooped up in the station wagon for a few hours on yet another road trip in 90-plus-degree heat.

#5 ducky

ducky
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

The burgers are okay if I remember correctly but it's really all about the soft serve. You can't pass through without having one. It's a must.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#6 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:35 PM

We have had their burgers a couple times ...
bacon cheese burger was good (like home made) 4 pieces of good quality bacon on it, too.... nice change from a "commercial fast food burger".
shakes are all good.
Saw people having the Lg soft ice cream cone .. it must be about 10" tall !!

... then down to the park under the tressel and to the end where the indians are .. it was june and the spring chinook were on. bought a nice chrome bright 15 pounder for home.

#7 Joisey

Joisey
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

During my cooking sabbatical, I got a job with Union Pacific Railroad, which runs right behind the Drive In. One time we got stopped at a red signal and the Conductor who was overseeing my student familiarization trip bought me dinner there. We were quite a sight tromping through the briars up the little hill to the takeout window.

We do family day trips to the little park at Cascade Locks and always get lunch there. Nothing to be afraid of, the food is greasy and great.

#8 Foamer

Foamer
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

Hmmm. Ice cream + Oregon and nobody has mentioned Rice Hill yet? Odd.

As for soft serve madness, check out King Kone at 1515 Salem Ave Se. in Albany. It's the only place I've ever seen a double-wide cake cone for holding two spirals (3"+ normally) of ice cream on them.