Photo

Chef Tuckerís Patisserie (old Calendula spot)

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:37 AM

Walking past the old Calendula spot at 32nd and Hawthorne the other day, I noticed that the "restaurant for sale" sign was down, and that there was a small note on the door. I walked up to see it, and it reads "Chef Tucker's Patisserie, Coming September 2006." Does anyone know anything about this? I'm intrigued, as I've been waiting to see what would move into that spot. It's a beautiful old house, but nothing has been able to last there since I've been watching (about 5-6 years now).

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

Retail for this:

http://cheftucker.com/

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

Might give JaCiva's a run for its money.

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

Starbucks gives JaCiva's a run for their money.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

Oh, SNAP.

I wouldn't mind seeing a late-night coffee/dessert place open in that spot. For what is alleged to be such a hip part of town, I'm always surprised at how much of Hawthorne totally shuts down after 9pm.

#6 hatchetface

hatchetface
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

after months and months of driving by the "for sale" sign, buying powerball tickets, and dreaming of other various ways to 'get rich quick' and scoop that place up, someone has beat me to the purchase. i drove by yesterday and saw a cheesy looking sign up. "chef somebody's patisserie". there was a website listed, but i can't remember it, just like i can't remember what chef somebody's name was.
has anyone else noticed this? do you remember the damn name? i intended to look it up....

#7 krispenn

krispenn
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

Scoop up that place? Weren't they originally asking $250k for "the business", building not included?

I'm really curious what's going in there now, it's a great building and location!
--kris

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

See here:

http://portlandfood....?showtopic=1654

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:51 PM

Pre-face lift, the house was under $500,000 -- now the paint job alone is worth that. I would be so happy to have Chef somebody's Patisserie so close to my house!! Here is what I found:

CHEF TUCKER'S PATISSERIE
MORTENSEN & DURAN LLC

#10 hatchetface

hatchetface
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

somebody=tucker!
thank you.

#11 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

I think I'm going to cry ...
About the Chef
A native of the Portland area, Tucker Mortensen combines both local and international experience to bring you the finest in French delicacies and cuisine.

At a young age, Tucker developed an appreciation for fine cuisine. When his siblings were ordering PB&J or mac and cheese off the children's menu, he would request the Cedar Plank Salmon with basil and lemon. He followed his passion for food into the workplace. During high school, he began working for Master Chef, Dariush Rezai. As Dari observed Tucker's interest and attention to detail, he was quickly moved from washing dishes, to food preparation, and eventually to Sous Chef. After Dari's death, Tucker became Head Chef at Dari's Bistro.

To further his cuisine education and experience, Tucker left his chef position to obtain a degree in culinary arts at Le Cordon Blue in Paris, France. After graduating with a degree in cuisine and pastry, he began an internship at the Three Michelin Star Restaurant, Le Doyen, located on Avenue des Champs Elysees. Here he experienced French Cuisine at its finest while serving guests such as French President, Jacques Chirac.

Tucker served a second internship at the award-winning Patisserie and Boulangerie, Maison Patach. Here he learned the art of creating authentic French cakes, pastries, and breads. Upon completion of his internship, he was offered a full-time position. After nearly three years of intense study and work in France, Tucker returned home to Portland, Oregon in 2005. He immediately began working at Portland's premier French Bakery. After a short while, he also joined the staff at the area's top-rated dessert house.

Years of passionately pursuing the fine art of food preparation has culminated in the launch of Chef Tucker, where the standard is being set for the area's highest quality authentic French delicacies and cuisine.

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

MERGING

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#13 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:56 PM

Oh, SNAP.

I wouldn't mind seeing a late-night coffee/dessert place open in that spot. For what is alleged to be such a hip part of town, I'm always surprised at how much of Hawthorne totally shuts down after 9pm.

Okay, what's with the "snap" thing ... my 11 year old niece was out for two weeks this summer and used it all the time ... what TV show did I miss???????????

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:36 PM

See definition number 4 in this case:

http://www.urbandict...e.php?term=snap

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

Okay, that helps ... do you know who mass marketed "snap," to the 6th grade community of Andersen, IN?? A song? A movie? A TV show?

#16 Knobcreeky

Knobcreeky
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

Okay, that helps ... do you know who mass marketed "snap," to the 6th grade community of Andersen, IN?? A song? A movie? A TV show?

I think you can safely blame MTV for the infiltration of most urban slang into Middle America.
"Shop smart- shop S-mart"- Ash

#17 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:10 AM

I think you can safely blame MTV for the infiltration of most urban slang into Middle America.

i think you're giving MTV too much credit

#18 krispenn

krispenn
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

Given other words 11-yr olds could be using, *snap* isn't so bad!

C'mon ladies out there... haven't you ever done ye olde "bend and snap"?
Atleast she's not trying to perfect that one B)

#19 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

Woa...what?? Is that synonymous with 'drop it like it's hot'??

#20 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

Yes, I'm thankful that she is taking the pre-teen thing at a reasonable pace.