Photo

Another coffee shop on Hawthorne

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

I'm MISERABLE, the Blue Butterfly shop on roughly 37th and Hawthorne has moved up the strip, which is okay by me, but why I'm miserable is because it is being replaced by a Peet's Coffee. We don't need another coffee shop, we don't need another bad coffee shop, we don't need Starschmucks on one corner and Peet's right across the dang-nabbed street. Blasted chains will turn my beloved Ho'thorne into another outdoor mall like NW Trendy-third. What's next -- The Pottery Barn? The Gap? I'm officially in mourning.

#2 Crash

Crash
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:17 AM

LTBN-
I'd argue that that ship already sailed about when Freddy's did the remod, and the last nail went in with the advent of the Cold Stone Creamery. Eventually, it'll come full circle, and there'll be a "Hawthorneland" section of Waqshington Square where they sell faux homemade art and inscence. Perhaps the "Cup N Saucer Food Court."
-C

#3 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

LTBN-
I'd argue that that ship already sailed about when Freddy's did the remod, and the last nail went in with the advent of the Cold Stone Creamery. Eventually, it'll come full circle, and there'll be a "Hawthorneland" section of Waqshington Square where they sell faux homemade art and inscence. Perhaps the "Cup N Saucer Food Court."
-C

Freddies, though now owned by Kroger, I believe, was at least started in Portland, OR, and the Cold Stone Creamery is locally owned as it is a franchise ... Peet's doesn't franchise, it is a CORPORATION without roots in Portland, waaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! I will not be consoled even my your very funny vignet of "Hawthorneland." Snif.

BTW: No parking meters on Hawthorne!!!!!! I was at the biz owner's meeting as a visitor and they ALL voted no on the idea ... but it isn't over yet.

#4 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:33 AM

Well, I'd much prefer a Peet's coffee to a Starbucks, but dunno if I love the idea of them across the street from eachother. I was half expecting another Starbucks to go into that spot, to tell the truth. Well, either that or another Thai place. :D

And, thanks for the update on parking meters--definitely good news for those of us a few blocks off Hawthorne as well.

#5 cdevs

cdevs
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

Major Dickason's Blend is killer. Peet's shops are kinda blah up here, but they're a good company. If you need Stumptown, you know where to find it.

I lived in that hood in the early '90s and was always grateful for the Starbucks being there. There once was a time when Starbucks was appreciated for their friendly attitude, good wages and decent product. And the fact that they were a 'Northwest Company'.

If I were you, I'd focus my energies upon the developers who built that hideous building where Imelda's and Cold Stone are. That's the kind of stuff that ruins a neighborhood's vibe faster than anything IMHO.

#6 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:39 PM

If I were you, I'd focus my energies upon the developers who built that hideous building where Imelda's and Cold Stone are. That's the kind of stuff that ruins a neighborhood's vibe faster than anything IMHO.

2 more Condos are going up in our area, upper hawthorne, 47th & 45th.....Meters will come soon enough, don't deny it...too much money can be had for the city....they don't care what we (business owners) think.

Peets....I must admit I'm happy to hear this news.....but I grew up on the stuff.

kim @ apizza

#7 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

2 more Condos are going up in our area, upper hawthorne, 47th & 45th.....Meters will come soon enough, don't deny it...too much money can be had for the city....they don't care what we (business owners) think.

Peets....I must admit I'm happy to hear this news.....but I grew up on the stuff.

kim @ apizza

Menlo?

#8 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:51 PM

The city loves condos, good for density, more tax dollars, more use of public transport, more people frequenting the businesses. I actually prefer the ultra-modern looking condos to the faux craftsman style.

#9 cdevs

cdevs
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

The city loves condos, good for density, more tax dollars, more use of public transport, more people frequenting the businesses. I actually prefer the ultra-modern looking condos to the faux craftsman style.

Since when did the city know its ass from its elbow? :drool:

Um, this all certainly belongs on some other board, but you did kinda lose me... you're OK with trendy development projects that often demand rents which only chains can afford, but you don't want Hawthorne to turn into the next NW 23rd? I'm with you on the faux-craftsman thing (although straight on Hawthorne isn't the place for condos IMO). But I still don't see how you can pooh-pooh the arrival of Peet's -- who, noticably, are going into a nice, established, un-yuppified building there on 37th -- and then not blink at the shiny new hipster-yupster edifices, present and future, that are much more disruptive.

As for your puzzling anti-corporation rant above...have you lost your mind? If there's anybody, ever, by definition!, who's in it solely for the money, it's the franchiser and his lapdogs the franchisees.

Not to get too personal, but I really think you should simply be thankful you're not getting a Panda Express or something like that.

[OK, end of my ranting]

#10 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:17 PM

Since when did the city know its ass from its elbow? :)

Um, this all certainly belongs on some other board, but you did kinda lose me... you're OK with trendy development projects that often demand rents which only chains can afford, but you don't want Hawthorne to turn into the next NW 23rd? I'm with you on the faux-craftsman thing (although straight on Hawthorne isn't the place for condos IMO). But I still don't see how you can pooh-pooh the arrival of Peet's -- who, noticably, are going into a nice, established, un-yuppified building there on 37th -- and then not blink at the shiny new hipster-yupster edifices, present and future, that are much more disruptive.

As for your puzzling anti-corporation rant above...have you lost your mind? If there's anybody, ever, by definition!, who's in it solely for the money, it's the franchiser and his lapdogs the franchisees.

Not to get too personal, but I really think you should simply be thankful you're not getting a Panda Express or something like that.

[OK, end of my ranting]

That shiny new building houses a local spa, local restaurant, local shoe store, local dress shop, a locally owned fanchise ice cream shop and a fair-trade chain clothing store. The condos on top are homes and a local artist's studio. I'd say locals did just fine affording the rent there. One condo is for sale right now, and is one of the most affordable opportunities for home ownership in the neighborhood. I agree, housing on Hawthorne is not a great idea, but new buildings that offer a work/live environment allow people to reach services without reaching for their car keys, which improves everyone's quality of life.

I don't object to the mix of architectural styles -- not here, not in London or Paris. Old and new can co-exist and, to preserve our past, must co-exist. I don't object to franchises on a wholesale level, as they allow people to own businesses, I just object to how they seem to homogenize the world's culture. I object to Peet's because there is a coffee shop across the street, in fact, there are two, not including Bar Pastiche, so I'd rather see a business that adds value as opposed to a "me too," business.

Oh, and I think Peet's coffee is crap ... maybe better crap than Starbucks ... but still, IMO, crap. I resent these coffee chains that educate the consumer that the rocket fuel and motor oil they are selling is good coffee. GOOD coffee doesn't need 8oz of milk, two packets of sugar, chocolate, caramel or whipped cream to be drinkable. These chains are dictacting world coffee production and I'm terrified that, in short order, the good stuff will no longer be available. I'm terrified that I will have to buy smuggled, black market coffee by the gram from some shady looking character on a deserted street ....

#11 Knobcreeky

Knobcreeky
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:32 PM

[quote name='LaTauladelBonMenjar' date='Aug 10 2006, 03:17 PM' post='20407']
[quote name='cdevs' post='20352' date='Aug 9 2006, 10:45 PM']
[quote name='LaTauladelBonMenjar' post='20343' date='Aug 9 2006, 09:51 PM']

Oh, and I think Peet's coffee is crap ... maybe better crap than Starbucks ... but still, IMO, crap. I resent these coffee chains that educate the consumer that the rocket fuel and motor oil they are selling is good coffee. GOOD coffee doesn't need 8oz of milk, two packets of sugar, chocolate, caramel or whipped cream to be drinkable. These chains are dictacting world coffee production and I'm terrified that, in short order, the good stuff will no longer be available. I'm terrified that I will have to buy smuggled, black market coffee by the gram from some shady looking character on a deserted street ....
[/quote]

With all due respect I have to disagree. While I firmly believe that good coffee needs nothing else in it and that Starbucks does not serve great coffee I also feel that without bad coffee we wouldn't know what good coffee is. I feel that the chains stimulate the coffee economy and people that want great coffee will move on to the next level and everyone else will be happy with their Carmel, Lite, Mocha, 1/2 caf, extra whip, extra luke warm, 1 pump coconut, iced thing. People eat McDonalds put you can still get a great burger in town, people eat KFC but Ken is still putting out some tasty fried chicken.
I think that without Starbucks there would be no Stumptown or smaller roasters because there would be no demand and we would all still be drinking diner coffee and remembering that trip to Italy or Miami and that great espresso we had there.
If I am wrong than look for me on that deserted street. I'll be the one in a trench coat saying "Psst, wanna buy some of the good stuff"
"Shop smart- shop S-mart"- Ash

#12 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

Phew, Platelicker, you actually DID aleviate some of my anxiety (which was not an anxiety fueled by drinking too much coffee, I swear). Yes, Starbucks, like Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill and boxed wine before it, has opened America up to a whole new beverage option.

#13 Crash

Crash
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

We all know how Peet's begat Starbuck's don't we?
-C

#14 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

We all know how Peet's begat Starbuck's don't we?
-C

Yup, I do, but maybe everyone doesn't ... so wanna tell the story?

#15 Crash

Crash
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

Well,
The story as I understand it (Please correct my mistakes). Peet's was in the SFO bay area. Three UC Berkley students from Seattle worked at Peet's and garnered their knowledge from this experience.
When they returned to "The Emerald/Jet/Queen City" they decided to start their OWN coffee shop .
As they were English majors, they chose to name their store after the Moby Dick Character that was so fond of coffee. This is also how they came to choose the syren as their trademark (Looking like a mermaid but with dual tails.
Eventually Howard Schultz bought it and took it nationwide. The three who opened Starbuck's went on to create their own new concepts> One was Red Hook Ale. One was a chain that has since disappeared called "Peerless Pies.
So, that's the story as I know it.
-C

#16 Crash

Crash
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

Just checked Wikipedia- seems like I'm a bit off on some stuff. Sorry folks-
-C

#17 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

... we don't need Starschmucks on one corner and Peet's right across the dang-nabbed street. Blasted chains will turn my beloved Ho'thorne into another outdoor mall like NW Trendy-third. What's next -- The Pottery Barn? The Gap? I'm officially in mourning.

As for 'thorne becoming 23rd...too late! Already looks as if the tourists and suburbanites have taken over the sidewalk. Judging by all the monster SUV's parked only confirms that suspicion.

I've heard Starbuck's has an outstanding health plan, even for those working only 20 hrs.

Still miss the original Starbuck's mermaid. Can only be found today at the Seattle Public Market location, nipples, tits, and all. :)
Homer, upon seeing an ear of corn at a market: "Interesting...it reminds me of a corndog, only without the dog!"

Thanks to http://kawaiinot.com/icons.php for the avatar.

#18 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

Menlo?

nope...Berkeley

#19 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:08 PM

... we don't need Starschmucks on one corner and Peet's right across the dang-nabbed street. Blasted chains will turn my beloved Ho'thorne into another outdoor mall like NW Trendy-third. What's next -- The Pottery Barn? The Gap? I'm officially in mourning.

As for 'thorne becoming 23rd...too late! Already looks as if the tourists and suburbanites have taken over the sidewalk. Judging by all the monster SUV's parked only confirms that suspicion.

I've heard Starbuck's has an outstanding health plan, even for those working only 20 hrs.

Still miss the original Starbuck's mermaid. Can only be found today at the Seattle Public Market location, nipples, tits, and all. :)

I have a friend that manages a Starbucks inside Safeway, and when you transfer to corporate Starbucks, they call it, "going over the the Dark Roast side."

#20 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

LTBM: By the way: I notice you waxing nostalgic about Fred Meyer originally being a PDX homegrown company. While you're correct, it's nothing to be all that proud of. In recent history they've been faced with a massive sex-discrimination case. Ancient history reveals that Fred himself was a bigtime Nazi sympathizer.
Homer, upon seeing an ear of corn at a market: "Interesting...it reminds me of a corndog, only without the dog!"

Thanks to http://kawaiinot.com/icons.php for the avatar.