Photo

Mexican Food at Ken's with Nick

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

I recieved an email from Ken about his Sunday dinner series and on November 5th Nick will be cooking. The menu sounds very good: Banana Leaf Wrapped Tamales, Manchamanteles Mole, Fresh Tortillas with a variety of salsas, a unique take on Chile Rellenos, and Churros with Goatmilk Caramel.

I would love to attend, would anyone else like to go? I thought it would be fun to get a group together.

#2 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

Me, I would like to go and bring my Brian.

#3 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:35 AM

I would love too (as I love Nick's cooking)
but....
I'LL BE IN MEXICO!!!

:)
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#4 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:13 AM

I also received the e-mail and made a reservation for two.

However, I forwarded the e-mail to some friends and am now up to four, although I haven't adjusted the reservation yet.

So Kristi - I'm in with a few friends in tow. Although it just dawned on me that I didn't say what time I wanted the reservation for! What time are you thinking of and I'll go with that.

So now do we have our November event pinned :)

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#5 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

I'm up for either time, Cat. Do you have a preference LadyConcierge? Cat, Did you have to reserve with a credit card? If that's the case, I was thinking we could all make our own reservations and just let them know we are with the PFG group. Otherwise, we can reserve as a group. Maybe Ken will jump in and let us know the best way to do this.

#6 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:27 AM

Either time is fine for me too. LC - it rests on your shoulders :)

No I didn't use a credit card, I just sent him an e-mail.

Ken?

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#7 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:10 AM

I want to do this dinner, too, but I need to ask my man to see if he wants to join us for this one. Tentative at this point.

Best regards,

Amanda

#8 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

Just sent Kristi an email with the details - don't require a cc and you can reserve as a group.

Cat, I don't know that I got your email - did you send it to kgnyport@comcast.net? I have an aol one that I'll check as well. But make sure, if you're going to reserve as a group, that you don't also reserve individually...that'll mess us up.

Check out the other dinners too - I think there might be a schedule on extramsg, or you can email me for one.
signature

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

Yes, I posted it on extramsg:

http://www.extramsg....N...le&sid=1385

I'm thinking about going to the Morocco one. Between me and Ken, who is more Bogie and who is more Claude Rains?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:57 AM

Actually, I was thinking you were more Ingrid Bergman and I was more Paul Henreid! :D
signature

#11 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:34 AM

Cat, how many people are in your party? So far we have me, Lady Concierge and her man plus your party so why don't we reserve for that many and we can add to it if anyone else would like to come.

#12 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

Yes, I posted it on extramsg:

http://www.extramsg....N...le&sid=1385

I'm thinking about going to the Morocco one. Between me and Ken, who is more Bogie and who is more Claude Rains?

ExtraMSG, neither of you is Bogie, who I just don't get, btw. Saw original Sabrina the other night and he is not the least bit attractive or compelling to me (or the two under 21-year old other gals watching the movie). I'd say Bogie's appeal to the opposite sex, anyway, is not withstanding the test of time. At least not over here at my house. I prefer Gable, Coooper, Cliff, Brando ... can't you guys be two of them???

#13 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:46 AM

I can be Gable...or Brando...or whomever you want me to be! :D

Actually, it's really unfair to judge Bogie by his role in Sabrina, in which he was horribly miscast. Like him or not, but judge him by Casablanca, or Petrified Forest, or To Have and Have Not, or African Queen, or They Drive by Night, or Treasure. But Sabrina was probably his worst role ever. And he was certainly more the homely anti-hero type - not the heartthrob like those you mentioned. More the guy you'd like to travel and have adventures with than go to bed with, IMO.
signature

#14 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

I kinda liked Bogie as the insane artist poisoning his wife in the Two Mrs. Carrolls. :D

"Can I get you gentlemen something to drink? A glass of milk perhaps?"
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#15 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

Oh yeah! I'd forgotten that one. My first exposure to him was in Angel's with Dirty Faces. Cagney was the bad guy, though likeable, and Bogie was the worse guy. Cagney goes to the chair at the end for offing Bogie. Great stuff!
signature

#16 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:57 AM

We're No Angels with Peter Ustinov and Aldo Ray was a fun one too. I love old movies. :D
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#17 LaTauladelBonMenjar

LaTauladelBonMenjar
  • Members
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Humankind's attempts at creating beauty in our day-to-day lives, including food and drink, decorative and fine arts, fashion, architecture and design, graciousness, generosity and humor.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:58 AM

I can be Gable...or Brando...or whomever you want me to be! :D

Actually, it's really unfair to judge Bogie by his role in Sabrina, in which he was horribly miscast. Like him or not, but judge him by Casablanca, or Petrified Forest, or To Have and Have Not, or African Queen, or They Drive by Night, or Treasure. But Sabrina was probably his worst role ever. And he was certainly more the homely anti-hero type - not the heartthrob like those you mentioned. More the guy you'd like to travel and have adventures with than go to bed with, IMO.

Had a tough time with African Queen and Casablanca, because I just don't see him like everyone else MUST have seen him. I know it is me!!

#18 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

I'd like to do them all but can't make the first two. So, I'm up for Mexican and Moroccan. Is anyone making a group reservation or should I make my own?
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#19 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

I'd like to do them all but can't make the first two. So, I'm up for Mexican and Moroccan. Is anyone making a group reservation or should I make my own?

I'll make a group reservation for us. Do we want to go at 4:30 pm or 6:45 pm? Also, Cat have you already made your reservation or do I need to include your group, too?

#20 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:24 AM

I'll make a group reservation for us. Do we want to go at 4:30 pm or 6:45 pm? Also, Cat have you already made your reservation or do I need to include your group, too?

I can go with either, depending on what everyone else wants.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain