• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:04 PM

Interestingly, Craig and I have something in the works.

btw, tried Ugarit, a Mediterranean/Lebanese cart on 10th and Alder, today. Got the falafel sandwich. The falafel is made from scratch in-house, but steamed to order, I think, and pre-fried meaning it wasn't crispy. But it did have a good flavor, the tahini sauce was good, and the veggies were crisp and fresh tasting. Pita is heated in a panini press but comes from a bag. Pretty tasty and $5.

They have a big menu for a cart. Among just sandwiches there is kofta, lamb & chicken gyro, hummus, bab, falafel, "malibu chicken", turkey, tuna, and "quesapita".

Ugarit: Mediterreanean Meals
SW 10th and Alder
Downtown Portland, OR
Mon-Sat: 11:00am-6:30pm

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#42 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

Went to Real Taste of India in the 5th & Oak/Stark pod today. Better, I think, than the other Indian carts around that pod.

Got the chicken curry ($5) and the channa masala ($5) medium spicy. $5 is about as cheap as it gets there. I had a $10 bill and just wanted to try multiple things.

The chicken curry was pretty tasty. Chicken was a little dry and in big chunks of white meat, but overall enjoyable. The sauce and rice were at least decent and flavorful.

Channa masala wasn't quite as good, but the beans were cooked properly and it was pleasant enough.

With Tandoor right around the corner I'd only go if I was really limited on funds or there at an odd hour (the case today since it was about 3:30pm). But I'd go back based on that meal.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#43 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:35 PM

man this town is lucky with carts.

#44 cuisine bonne femme

cuisine bonne femme
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

This city is lucky with carts! And it is nice to see people here as appreciative of them as I am.

You know, I feel pretty strongly about food carts from a variety of levels; taste wise certainly, economically, from a city planning perspective, and from a cultural perspective I just think they make Portland really special and even more attractive. I think they are a critical part of Portland's food scene, yet I feel they don't always get the respect they deserve.

Still! Some of the best food in Portland is at food carts (man, that Russian cart on Alder and 9th downtown is just blowing me away right now).

In addition, I think it is important to acknowledge that there is a huge population in Portland with not a lot of funds to burn on eating out, but still the desire to eat well (trust me I have been there). The carts, god bless 'em, allow people to eat good quality food at a very reasonable price. In return, the cart owners (many of them immigrants just starting out here in the U.S.) are allowed a way to build some capital and make a living without having the need for access of massive start up costs or credit, or even public funds. Who can argue with that?

But hey, y'all seem to get the idea that food carts rock. Regardless, thanks for being fellow cart lovers and for "getting it." Drop me a line if you have any good cart tips or news. I'm trying to keep up, but (thankfully) they seem to be multiplying like crazy right now so it is difficult.

www.foodcartsportland.com

Anyway, rant over. Thanks for listening, and good eats,

Cuisine Bonne Femme

#45 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:50 AM

makes me want to get a job downtown

#46 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:14 AM

Welcome to the site CBF!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#47 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

What are everyone's favorite carts?

For inspiration, there are these two sites, with varying efficacy:

http://foodcartsportland.com/
http://www.speakeasy...eschright/maps/

Also this thread:

http://www.portlandf...?showtopic=2456

And this Google search for PFG:

http://www.google.co...eorg food carts

I'll start with a top 10 of my own in no particular order:

Aybla (Lebanese, 9th & Alder) -- Are they all equally good?
Asian Station (SE Asian & Chinese, 10th & Alder)
India Chaat House (Vegetarian Indian, 12th & Salmon)
Samurai (Japanese, 9th & Alder)
La Catrina (Mexican, 82nd & Otty)
Morelia Taco Truck (Mexican, 122nd & Holgate)
Ely's (Mexican, Aloha Shopping Center)
Ziba's Pita's (Bosnian, 9th & Alder)
Flavour Spot (Waffles, Fremont & Mississippi)
Tabor (Czech, 5th & Stark)

There are a lot I haven't tried, like most of the ones up around PSU. I still need to get to Pho Le and many of the Thai carts, too. But these are my current personal favorites that I can think of off-hand.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#48 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

Asian Station (SE Asian & Chinese, 10th & Alder)
India Chaat House (Vegetarian Indian, 12th & Salmon)
Ely's (Mexican, Aloha Shopping Center)
Flavour Spot (Waffles, Fremont & Mississippi)

Seconded!

I'll add:
Al Forno Feruzza (pizza, 4th & college)
Potato Champion (fries, 12th & hawthorne)
Spella (coffee/gelato, 9th & alder)

I guess PokPok shack doesn't count these days.
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#49 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

I'm also a fan of Aybla Grill, and their SW 2nd and Oak location is also very good. I would also add Thai Sky at the SW 5th and Oak pod to the list.

I've only been to Samurai once - I think I had oyakodon or maybe tonkatsudon - and it was only average. I remember thinking there was a funny ratio of rice to toppings. Any recommended dishes there?

And, for the love of God, could we please get some carts near NW Natural/the new U of O building in Old Town?

#50 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:56 PM

Amen on that one, Brother Dan!

Best regards,

Amanda

#51 Womby

Womby
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

The shakerato (the small one, not the latte) at Spella is one of my favorite things to consume.

#52 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

I second Aybla and Tabor. I also give props to Asian Station, Whole Bowl, No Fish, Go Fish (for soup, I'm not a fan of the little fish sandwich things), and lately, Give Pizza a Chance. Love that pizza!

#53 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

Others on my list:

Garden State (SE 13th and Lexington, Sellwood)
El Brasero (SE 12th and Hawthorne)

#54 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:17 AM

And, for the love of God, could we please get some carts near NW Natural/the new U of O building in Old Town?
[/quote]

And anywhere in the Pearl District...Please!
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#55 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:02 PM

While Amanda & Kristi got food from Asian Station, I got my meal from Ziba's Pita. I ordered the Burek (beef, onions, potatoes & spices) served with ajvar and a sour cream-cucumber salad. It was pretty darn good.

I also liked the food that they got from Asian Station and even the spinach, cheese & tomato crepe that Amanda from the Snow White.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#56 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

Tried some food carts. Cat got some beefy struedely thing from Ziba pitas that was good. It came with a side of cucumber salad and some avgnar (or however that yummy red pepper sauce is spelled). I could go for this on a cooler day when a hearty bite would be just the thing.

I got a vanilla bean lemonade at Sugar Cube. It was OK. I was expecting to be wowed by a vanilla kick, but it was barely there and other flavored lemonades suit me more, I'd say.

Kristi and I shared soup dumplings and dim sum dumplings from Asian Station which were excellent. The soup dumplings were wonderful. I can see myself popping those things in my mouth with reckless abandon anytime I happen by SW 10th & Alder with $$$ in my pocket.

I got an avocado and cheese crepe from Snow White House. It's true that the lady that runs the cart isn't going to score brownie points for being Ms. Congeniality or anything, but she consistently turns out lovely savory crepes that always hit the mark.

We perused the carts in the 10th/9th & Alder area and none seemed to have a shortage of customers today. The sidewalk in front of them all was a zoo of hungry humanity. Until today I was not aware that Whole Bowl has a cart in there. Happy Day! I've always wanted to try Whole Bowl, but the one in the Pearl seems to move around some and if I'm over on Hawthorne, chances are my stomach's sites are set on Apizza Scholls. Whole Bowl is next on my list of things to do and I plan on zeroing in on it in the near future. I've only heard great things about it.

Best regards,

Amanda

#57 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

My current food cart obsessions: The Whole Bowl and as of today, Asian Station.

Amanda, The Whole Bowl in the Pearl is on 12th & Glisan and it is always in the same spot, but I don't think they're there on Mondays. I'm usually there at least once a week so let me know when you're going and I'll meet you there.

#58 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

You bet!

Best regards,

Amanda

#59 foodcriticPDX

foodcriticPDX
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

Happy Day! I've always wanted to try Whole Bowl, but the one in the Pearl seems to move around some and if I'm over on Hawthorne, chances are my stomach's sites are set on Apizza Scholls. Whole Bowl is next on my list of things to do and I plan on zeroing in on it in the near future. I've only heard great things about it.

Best regards,

Amanda

Dear Food-Cart Fans,

I must echo the praises for the Whole Bowl. Simple, speedy, fresh, healthy. You just can't go wrong with that combination. Oh, crikey, now I'm craving a Whole Bowl with a few extra avocado slices!

Best Regards,
The Divine Being of Exclamation Marks

#60 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:20 AM

I was walking by the Whole Bowl on Hawthorne the other day and it looked like they were moving into the storefront next door (used to be a guitar/music school).