Carts, Trucks, Stands, Pods

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

I also like Tabor on 5th and Stark. The breaded pork sandwich is gigantic and delicious with crisp lettuce. I like horseradish so I would have liked a little more in their horseradish spread, but there is a "paprika spread" they put on that adds a different layer of flavor to the whole thing. I sampled my friend's potato pancake, which was huge, but made with lots of chopped herbs that overwhelmed it.

I went to Tabor based on your earlier recommendation and really liked the schnitzelwich. So thank you! I actually liked the potato pancake, though it is a bit much at times. The mushroom soup is good too... if you try to enjoy it for the bright-orange broth and ignore that the mushrooms are almost certainly canned (which I don't mind for some reason).

Today I tried the Indian cart just around from Tabor (the one that starts with "The Real..." and not "The New..."). It was pretty ok, though I so far prefer the indoor-yet-so-small-it-might-as-well-be-a-cart Indian place at the International Food Court at SW 2nd and Taylor. That shit is great, even when you have to wait in a 10 minute line for it.

And I totally agree with the No Fish soups, though I got completely sick of the weird fish sammiches.

#22 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:59 AM

Have you or has anyone, ever gotten one of those "bowls" from the cart guy on Glisan between 11th & 12th? It always sounds good but I have never eaten food from the cart guys... have a hard time getting over the fear of food poisoning I had in NYC :(

I LOVE CART FOOD!
It is so affordable, and can be so good.

I think the place you're refering too is 'Whole Bowl'.
It is a layered bowl with brown rice, black beans, avacado, sauce, cilantro, olives, etc etc.
I think the small bowl is $4 and the large $5.
(They are not open Monday's.)
It's pretty good. I'd recommend it.
It is an affordable tasty dining option in the Pearl (only Cha, Cha Cha and Fuego Burrito coming close in affordablity).
Also most carts you get 1) Indian 2) Mexican 3) Thai. It is nice to have an alternative.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#23 cmm

cmm
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

I second the endorsement of Tito's Burritos at 3d and Washington, although I've only had their tacos. Their carnitas tacos are the real deal. Curiously, it never seems to be too busy.

#24 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

Thanks Jamesongirl! that is the one. I will try it..:(
Down towards Hoyt is a vegetarian burrito cart that is always crowded (FuegoBurrito?) , I might try them out too :P
Jeez, listen to me, I am getting so adventurous LOL (if you knew how sick I was in NY, you would understand :(

#25 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:44 PM

boy_asunder
Today I tried the Indian cart just around from Tabor (the one that starts with "The Real..." and not "The New..."). It was pretty ok, though I so far prefer the indoor-yet-so-small-it-might-as-well-be-a-cart Indian place at the International Food Court at SW 2nd and Taylor. That shit is great, even when you have to wait in a 10 minute line for it.

The place you are refering to in the 'International Food Court' is Gandhi's.
I actually really like that place too. (I used to eat there a lot when I worked at the Bank of America Tower. )
It was that or the Pho place in the same building but unfortunately they are now gone...
Anyways- I've never had any of the lamb dishes at Gandhi's but I really like their curry chicken paired with their spinach. A lot of food for $5. I know the Chaat cart is a love for most people, and I like it for a few items, but I do prefer Gandhi's.
(Another reason I like Gandhi's- it is right next to, IMO, the two best galleries in town. They are small but always have great work. Go upstairs in the gallery to the left and find a small room with hidden jems like chuck Close, Warhol, Lichtenstein, Picasso's.)

Fuego Burrito can be found at several different carts around town. It is good enough but I currently prefer Cha Cha Cha as they are a little cheaper.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#26 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

The other night, throwing caution to the wind, I had a feast of Cha Cha Cha nachos and some of my husbands Chicken Burrito (wet)...I think I got 95% salt, 5% food :( but it did hit the spot.

#27 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

The place you are refering to in the 'International Food Court' is Gandhi's.
I actually really like that place too. (I used to eat there a lot when I worked at the Bank of America Tower. )
It was that or the Pho place in the same building but unfortunately they are now gone...
Anyways- I've never had any of the lamb dishes at Gandhi's but I really like their curry chicken paired with their spinach. A lot of food for $5. I know the Chaat cart is a love for most people, and I like it for a few items, but I do prefer Gandhi's.

Right! Gandhi's! I should have remembered that.

The lamb is good, but not what I'm used to in other places. It's ground lamb, not pieces, in a somewhat spicy sauce. Knowing pretty much nothing about Indian food I cannot describe it beyond that other than to say it is pretty tasty. The shrimp is really good too. And you are right, the spinach is delish.

#28 Uncle_Kyle

Uncle_Kyle
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

TITO'S! TITO'S! TITO'S!

I eat there once a week, because I am only dowtown once a week. My favorite burritos in Portland. The chicken burritos are the best, with their vegetarian coming in a distant second. Everything there is great though.

Locos Locos is a close second.

And Tabor is brillliant. Their cheese sandwich could feed a family of five, but I actually know someone who has finished one.

#29 hamhock

hamhock
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:52 AM

So glad to see the love on this thread for Tito's.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sawasdee Thai. The spicy basil stir fry and pumpkin curry are pretty great.

#30 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:03 AM

Oh where to grab a quick bite for lunch?:

http://www.speakeasy...eschright/maps/

#31 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

http://portlandfood....ic=755&hl=carts

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#32 arielle38

arielle38
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hi, Does anyone know about any great lunch trucks (taco trucks, thai food, hot dogs, etc) in Portland? I love how affordable the food is but I'm looking for any recommendations for good food. I saw the Taco Truck directory on this forum but I'm also looking for ideas when you're in the mood for other kinds of food as well. Thanks!

#33 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging & Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:32 PM

I like the Indian truck on SW 4th and College. $5 Veggie or Meat options every day, quite filling, and tasty. Good value.

#34 scarletb

scarletb
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

I've been a little obsessed with The Whole Bowl lately - they are at SW 9th and Alder. Also, the thai cart up there, Sawasdee, is very good (I always get the pad se eew), but there is always a huge line at lunch. Maybe try them at off hours.

#35 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

Merged the hell out of these lunch cart threads. Remember, there's also the taco truck directory:

http://portlandfood....wtopic=2456&hl=

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#36 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:28 PM

I went to New Taste of India at 5th & Oak yesterday and was really disappointed. Got the channa masala and the chicken tikka masala. Both rather bland and one dimensional. The CTM's chicken was rubbery.

Hit the tamale vendor at 10th & Morrison today also. I'll post more with pics later in the taco truck directory, I think, but it's FANTASTIC. Some of the best tamales in town. Perhaps a little dry, but great flavor.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#37 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

The lot on the corner of SE 12th and Hawthorne has turned into a real pod.

There's the Mexican truck that has been discussed here before, Biggs Brothers Wing Stop, a fruit juice and sandwich truck, and My Sister's Soup. There is some parking available and some tables and chairs under a tarp.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#38 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

The lot on the corner of SE 12th and Hawthorne has turned into a real pod.

There's the Mexican truck that has been discussed here before, Biggs Brothers Wing Stop, a fruit juice and sandwich truck, and My Sister's Soup. There is some parking available and some tables and chairs under a tarp.

The other day on the taco truck crawl we tried some wings. They were pretty decent. Very tangy standard sauce. The hot wasn't hot. But the wings were decently crisp and meaty. Blue cheese was just okay.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#39 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

Cuisine Bonne Femme (of PortlandFoodandDrink.com) just launched this site:

http://foodcartsportland.com/
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#40 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

Rad. This kind of topic begs to be broken out on the cuisine level.