August Book Club

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:54 AM

We threw out a few titles for a book to read in August. It's a busy month, and a lot of us will be travelling. Maybe we can find something light and fun for our next summer-time read:

Julie and Julia The story of a Manhattanite who attempts to cook every recipie from Matstering the Art of French Cooking. We could pair this with a French potluck of our own, or the Prix Fixe dinner at Carafe, or happy hour at Carlyle.

A Cook's Tour: In Search of the Perfect Meal. We discovered last night that some of us haven't read the bad boy of cooking's travelogue. What better time than summer. We could discuss this at an Asian happy hour (Saucebox, East Chinatown Lounge, Masu, or one of Tony's PDX haunt's Shanghai Tunnel). Or we could dish it out at a restaurant, or have an Asian potluck.

Some of us want to read Heat, about writer Bill Buford's 'internship' under Mario Batali. This one is only out in hardback, and might be difficult to find at the library, but some have seen it at Costco. Italian restaraunt, or are you guys gonna make me bring my no-fail spinach lasagne to a potluck?!

I did have the Arak last night, so my memory is as cloudy as my cocktail was! What other titles were mentioned? If there's anyone who hasn't attended a book club yet and has an idea for a selection, please pipe up!

#2 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

Angelhair, didn't you also mention the Jacques Pepin's The Apprentice?

I'll be out of town through the 21st of August If you guys set a date that I can make I'll join, otherwise I'll see you in September!
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#3 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

I'd love to do Heat somewhere down the road when the library gets their copies in. I have two copies of a Cook's Tour that I could lend (I would just need the autographed copy back). I've heard The Apprentice is a good read too.

Here's a list from the old book club thread of others that have been talked about.

Not Read

Candy Freak by Steve Almond

Jim Harrison: The Raw and the Cooked: Adventures of a Roving Gourmand

The Nasty Bits : Collected Varietal Cuts, Usable Trim, Scraps, and Bones by Anthony Bourdain

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee

The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore by Harold McGee

Best Food Writing 2004 by Holly Hughes (or any year)

How to Read a French Fry by Russ Parsons

The Apprentice : My Life in the Kitchen by Jacques Pepin

Best Thing I Ever Tasted : The Secret of Food by Sallie Tisdale

Julia Childs' My Life in France
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#4 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

Though I have copies of them, I would say let's take a pass on Nasty Bits and My Life in France for now. Both are only in hardcover and are hard to come by.

Any of the others look delicious!

#5 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

I vote for whatever is the "fastest" read for this month, if possible. But, as usual, though, I'm game for whatever the majority wishes.

Best regards,

Amanda

#6 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

Julie and Julia is a pretty fast read. It's based on the author's blog entries while she was making all of the recipes.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#7 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:58 AM

For some reason a fast read is sounding good to me too. The library has 28 copies of Julie and Julia and 6 holds. I'd go for that one. Or A Cook's Tour. And I checked on Heat at the library. They have 25 copies in now but there are 131 holds for it. Very popular.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#8 kaetum

kaetum
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

I will be out of town most of August so will have to miss out on this one. But I look forward to the September book club, hopefully I will be able to attend.

#9 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:32 AM

Angelhair, didn't you also mention the Jacques Pepin's The Apprentice?

I picked this up when I bought Fischer's book(s) and have started in it. It isn't short (not long either) but it is a simple straight forward read -- it goes fast. I am really enjoying it. It also has recipes every chapter or two. Some of them would work for the get together.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#10 enjoyseverythingpdx

enjoyseverythingpdx
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:05 AM

Hi Guys,
It's been a while, but I'm back! I'd love to do this month's book and would love to meet all of you!
Any final answers about the book?
Thanks!

#11 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

I'd be up for reading anything for August. But something light and fast.

How does the week of August 14th look to people? Is that too soon?

I am out of town after that, but if you guys want to make it later, I can always skip this one and make the next.

#12 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:02 AM

I'd be up for reading anything for August. But something light and fast.

How does the week of August 14th look to people? Is that too soon?

I am out of town after that, but if you guys want to make it later, I can always skip this one and make the next.

I could probably make it that week.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#13 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:50 PM

Amanda, I take for your new avatar that your vote is for Julie and Julia!

That works for me! Craig, do you want to read it too?

#14 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:32 PM

OK, I've got Julie and Julia on hold at the library, and I can do the week of August 14, so I'm in like Flynn!

#15 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

Amanda, I take for your new avatar that your vote is for Julie and Julia!

That works for me! Craig, do you want to read it too?

Sure. Is there a usual day of the week for the week of the 14th?

#16 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:45 AM

Yeah, I'm real subtle, eh? I want to read this book next! The week of the 14th should be good, although I should probably check my calendar to see if there is anything else going on that week. Nail down a date and I'll see if I can come. I'm loving these book club meetings we've been having!

Best regards,

Amanda

#17 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:14 AM

I am free pretty much any day other than Wednesday.

#18 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:46 AM

Monday is best for me but Tue works too.

#19 eJulia

eJulia
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:57 AM

I hate to be a hijacker, but I have a number of awesome books that need a good home... I emailed Rachel, and she thought this group might be a good place to start...

My proposal: I haul my (mostly hardcover) books to the next meeting of the club, and we do a quick and dirty auction. You put your name on a poker chip (I'll supply the chips and markers) and "bid" for the book or books you want. Keep in mind, there is no money involved... just a way to find homes for good books.

We draw from a hat for every book I have and "Voila" - a book goes to a new home!

Books up for grabs:

"Heat" by Bill Buford
"A Cooks Tour" by AB, of course!
"All About Braising" by Molly Stevens
"Hot, Sour, Salt, Sweet" - Jeffrey Alford
"FNTV Favorites" by the geeks at Food Network TV
"Kitchen Confidential" by AB
"The Seasoning of a Chef" by Doug Psaltis (My new favorite!)
"The Reach of a Chef" by Michael Ruhlmann
"It Must Have Been Something I Ate" by J. Steingarten
"The Nasty Bits" by come on, You know Who!!!

I know I have more.

Why am I doing this? I have the big "C", and while I've been doing chemo, things don't look so good. I got sort-of stalled during a OR travel sabatical, writing my own novel, and can't bear to see the fruits of my "obsession" (book buying) go to waste!

I will NOT tolerate sympathy! I just want to know if you guys think this might be a fun addition to your monthly get-together... Well? :think:

#20 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:15 AM

Sold! What a great idea, EJulia.

Does anyone want to turn it into a book 'swap' as well? Bring in cookbooks/cooking magazines you no longer use or want and we can just trade?

Please join us for the discussion as well.