The Whole Bowl

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 CaliforniaFoodie

CaliforniaFoodie
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:51 AM

I was in Portland last weekend for a wedding and ate at the Whole Bowl food cart on Glisan St. The "Tali" sauce in the bowl was AMAZING. Does anyone happen to know what's in it?

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

Don't have an answer for you, but welcome to the site, CaliforniaFoodie.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

If we walk by him today I will ask :)

#4 CaliforniaFoodie

CaliforniaFoodie
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:32 AM

If we walk by him today I will ask :)

Thanks so much! Would love to know. CF

#5 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:52 PM

Hi
we got hung up in town ( pizza stone shopping and baby presents, hope I don't get the boxes mixed up lol) but will go by tomorrow if possible. Keep watching, I will go by there and ask :)

#6 CaliforniaFoodie

CaliforniaFoodie
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

Hi
we got hung up in town ( pizza stone shopping and baby presents, hope I don't get the boxes mixed up lol) but will go by tomorrow if possible. Keep watching, I will go by there and ask ;)

Thanks so much! I can't get it out of my mind. Saffron? Turmeric? Canola oil? Tofu? I'm stumped. Thanks again. CF

#7 krispenn

krispenn
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

CF -
You could call or email Tali (who owns Whole Bowl), and ask her about her dressing ;)
http://www.thewholebowl.com/

--kris

#8 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

Hi
Well, I hope this is better late than never, I talked to the guy selling the Whole Bowl on Glisan. Tali's sauce is just that...it is lemon and garlic and secret ingredients, she makes it herself..the consensus is that she will not share the recipe ;)
He said it keeps well, so if you want to buy more than one bowl, you can refrigerate one for later :)
Hope this helped ~ newbie

#9 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

Glisan and what?
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#10 CaliforniaFoodie

CaliforniaFoodie
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

Glisan and what?

I think 11th or 12th street.

#11 CaliforniaFoodie

CaliforniaFoodie
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:03 PM

CF -
You could call or email Tali (who owns Whole Bowl), and ask her about her dressing ;)
http://www.thewholebowl.com/

--kris

Thanks for that. See post below, though...apparently it's a big secret.

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

Not that she answered, but that response is so lame.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#13 krispenn

krispenn
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:53 AM

CF, you could see if she would sell/send you some of her secret sauce.
I thought she was looking at packaging it for retail at one point (this is purely me digging through my tired brain however. You would need to confirm this).

Sounds like it would be worth the phone call for you ;)
--kris

#14 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

I think I need to try this place sometime!

Best regards,

Amanda

#15 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:21 PM

It is right around the corner between Starbucks on 12th and the hair salon on 11th..he stands with the cart by the parking area for the salon.
Only there between 10 - 2 ( I think, he told me but my memory-she is going!)

#16 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

I finally made it to The Whole Bowl in the Pearl today. OMIGOD! Who would have thought a meager bowl of rice, beans, and a few other ingredients could be so transforming? It had brown rice, black beans, mild salsa, olives, shredded cheddar, sour cream and avocado. It could have had cilantro, but I asked the worker to hold it as it's not my favorite thing in life. The special sauce is what does it. The girl serving it up was friendly and fun. I wish they had chairs around there, but I just parked my butt on the concrete in the parking lot right there and completely enjoyed myself in the sunshine.

It didn't seem like a substantial amount of food, but I feel quite satisfied and happy. This cart might become a destination for me in the future! I was completely shocked at how delicious it was. I'm glad there's one on my side of town, too.

Best regards,

Amanda

#17 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the review Amanda. I have always just walked past this cart without giving it a second look.

#18 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

I finally made it to The Whole Bowl in the Pearl today. OMIGOD! Who would have thought a meager bowl of rice, beans, and a few other ingredients could be so transforming? It had brown rice, black beans, mild salsa, olives, shredded cheddar, sour cream and avocado. It could have had cilantro, but I asked the worker to hold it as it's not my favorite thing in life. The special sauce is what does it. The girl serving it up was friendly and fun. I wish they had chairs around there, but I just parked my butt on the concrete in the parking lot right there and completely enjoyed myself in the sunshine.

It didn't seem like a substantial amount of food, but I feel quite satisfied and happy. This cart might become a destination for me in the future! I was completely shocked at how delicious it was. I'm glad there's one on my side of town, too.

Best regards,

Amanda

I totally concur with your review of this place. It's one of the few cart/vegetarian experiences I make an effort to eat at.

#19 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

they make it to order correct? could someone averse so such things order one without olives and avacado?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#20 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

They certainly could!

Best regards,

Amanda