Restaurants: Recent, Good, Bad, Openings, Closings

chat thread

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vj

• 2,747 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

This silence is breaking my heart, kids. So, I start a new thread.

Let's talk about recent restaurant news - these can just be restaurants that are new to you, recent experiences, openings, closings - general stuff. If it looks like we're steering towards a specific restaurant discussion, I'll create a new thread if need be.

#2 vj

• 2,747 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'll start. 

I'm sure everyone here knows Angel Food and Fun closed, because chef/owner Manuel Lopez couldn't get his visa renewed. The location (unclear whether it is still called Angel Food and Fun) is operating on a very limited menu. 

I've been obsessed with Detroit style pizza, but I'm saving that for another thread.

I am still thinking longingly and with great warmth about our dinner at ImJai.

#3 edymon

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

Kayo's Ramen Bar

3808 N. Williams Ave. Suite 124

Portland, OR 97227

(503) 477-6016

M 11:30 - 3:00

Tue - Sat 11:30 - 9:00

Happy Hour 11:30 - 5:00 weekdays

In addition to strong versions of standard ramen bowls featuring locally made noodles, one of the current winter specials is a delicious dumpling soup.

#4 vj

• 2,747 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

Oooh, I love Kayo's. The dan dan ramen - I know nothing from nothing about dan dan - was out of this world. 

#5 ppilot

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Here's a summary of a couple places I've been to in the last couple months:

410 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205

We went for my wife's birthday as they had a decent number of options that there Cow Dairy and Gluten Free.  I'd never been for dinner, but it lived up to the hype as pretty much everything we had was on point including the drinks. Highlights were the Kale and Vegetable Salad, Ceviche, Coal cooked Sweet Potato and of all things their Parker House rolls. Seriously, the rolls were crazy good.. Also their take on a Manhattan "New Money" with smoked Vermouth was one of the best drinks I've had in recent memory. 

Grand Army Tavern

901 NE Oneonta St, Portland, OR 97211 (basically across the street from Breakside on Dekum)

Their thing is that they start with a whole pig and break it down in house.  I've tried their deconstructed sliders with a variety of different meat options but their spiced pork butt was by far the best highlight for me. I really hope they last as pretty much everything I've had from them was at worst solid.

Olympia Provisions SE

107 SE Washington St, Portland, OR 97214

I feel like this always is one of the most underrated places town. Had their brunch for the first time with a traditional eggs Benedict and it was one of the best versions I've had largely due to the incredible sliced ham piled on underneath the eggs. Other people at the table had their biscuits and gravy and the Hash and everyone agreed it was one of the best brunches they've had in a while.  Bonus was the lack of wait on Saturday Morning at 10am.

Yama Sushi NW

926 NW 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97209

Probably the wife and my favorite sushi place in Portland that we've been to (haven't been to Nodoguro). Fish is always topnotch and I while it's definitely not cheap, I always walk away feeling like you got your money's worth. Highlight was the sweet shrimp and the king crab nigiri.

Our Bar

1887 Main St, Washougal, WA 98671

My favorite spot in Clark County to eat as their breakfast is stupidly inexpensive for the quality of food and overall execution. Nowhere else north of the Columbia are you going to be able to enjoy Roseline's newest roast along with a really good seasonal scramble and really good huckleberry pancakes.

Kindee Thai

6700 NE 162nd Ave #713, Vancouver, WA 98682

You aren't going to see anything particularly unusual but you are getting will executed Thai Food in Vancouver. The Khao Soi was solid and the other dishes I've had have pretty good as well with good clean flavors.  Their current dessert special is Mango, Black Sticky Rice, and a scoop and purple yam ice cream.

Smokin Oak

501 Columbia St, Vancouver, WA 98660

New BBQ place that's in the same building as Loowit and they smoke everything using Oak (Hence their name). Have been their twice and while it definitely gives off a hipster BBQ vibe and the food is generally pretty solid. First time had the Texas Trinity (SlicedFatty Brisket, Smoked Sausage, Pork Rib, with a side of Jalapeno Beans and Collards).  All three mains were at worst solid withe the fatty Brisket and the Pork Rib being pretty good.  I really enjoyed the Jalepeno Pinto beans and the collards were cooked about right.  Unfortunately the wife's half chicken didn't have much flavor and seemed overpriced at $17 considering how small it was.  Second time I had the Chopped Brisket Sandwich but was pretty disappointed as it seemed a little too lean and really relied on the sauce. By far the best in Clark county is still Daddy D's version.

So I just wanted to add that every time I try to visit this site using Chrome, it gets flagged as being deceptive/unsafe.  That could be hurting the clicks.

#6 ppilot

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

Muscadine is closing and will be serving it's last meal on the 12/31/17.

I am not fluent in Restuarantese, but it sounds like she just got burnt out? Regardless I know where I will be going to lunch a few times in the next week or so and pick up an order of Beignets.

#7 vj

• 2,747 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the update on Muscadine - and for your summary. Totally didn't know about Muscadine, hadn't heard of Grand Army Tavern, and had no idea that OP did brunch. Also, it is good to add some options for when I'm north of the river. I see a couple of brunches in my near future.

The site: yeah. Yeah. ExtraMSG knows, there's been talk about moving it to a hosted option that would mean less work and maintenance for him, which I hope happens. 

I hope I'm not the only one who misses popping in and hearing all the food talk. 

#8 RM

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:07 PM

You're not the only one VJ. I've clicked through to see what's here but the Chrome warning (as well as Facebook, twitter, etc.) must be keeping folks away.