Photo

ImJai: Wednesday, October 11th, 6:30pm @ 38th & Belmon

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 vj

vj
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

Last night was great, guys! Thanks, Nick, for making the suggestion and then making it happen. 

The food was marvelous. And I can't tell you how happy I was to see the gang (mostly) back together! 

Loofah, you were missed - I hope you're feeling better!

#22 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

What VJ said.Thank you for letting us crash last minute. I have SO missed us getting together and sharing a meal. I may not be able to go to everything like I used to with the gang, but I'm definitely down for the less expensive stuff. It's great to try a bunch of things for not much money. It's easier to be adventurous when we all share. Thanks for getting the ball rolling again, Nick!

#23 JimProuty

JimProuty
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

PortlandFood.org is back in action?! Tammi just told me about this. I would love to come if I can. Is there room for one or two more? I'm not sure if John can come, but I'd sure love to.

FYI: Firefox thought portlandfood.org was a phishing site when I visited here today.

Dunno what any moderator can do about that.

#24 vj

vj
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

We know, Jim - and we're waiting on Google to update their files. As far as we know, there is no danger or phishing happening here.

#25 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

This was the dinner:

* kao ka moo: braised pork shank and ham with boiled egg, rice, and pickled mustard greens
* ImJai pad thai: a very nice rendition of pad thai wrapped in a giant omelet with garnishes on the side
* pad sator: wonderfully stinky petai beans in a spicy ground pork stir fry with shrimp
* gang tai pla: bamboo and other vegetables in a funky and spicy curry made with fermented fish innards
* kanom jeen nam ya: coconut and fish-based curry with rice noodles, fish balls, pickled mustard, herbs, and veggies
* steamed lime fish: whole steamed sea bass in a garlic lime dressing with lots of herbs
* kuay jub: deep and flavorful 5 spice and soy broth with rolled rice noodles, crispy pork belly, chitlins, liver, kidney, and braised pork meat, tofu, and boiled egg.
* kao kriab pak mor: housemade rice crepe wrapped around ground meat and sweet sauce served with lettuce cups
* shortbread cookies scented with incense

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#26 edymon

edymon
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for a great evening Nick. It was a pleasure meeting all of you after following your posts over the years.