Photo

Sa Bai Thai Cuisine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

Sa Bai Thai Cuisine

4440 NE 131st Pl, Portland, OR 97230

(971) 229-1691

I found this place via Yelp, and this time Yelp was right, it's now my favorite Thai in PDX. It's a no frills kind of place run by great people. I've tried all of the noodle dishes (none of the curries yet), and each one is always consistently delicious. 

I like hot food, but not overwhelmingly so. Here, medium is hot. They ask how spicy you want it and they warn you ahead of time that it's not what you think. They range from Mild-Medium-Hot-Thai Hot. I couldn't imagine what "Thai Hot" could be. There's no hipster pretense here. No BS, just delicious food, served in an out of the way strip mall. The Cemitas truck (discussed on this board) used to park in the lot here. Every time I go to Costco now, I eat here. 

I'm sure some of you already know this place, but it should be shared.

Remember: No frills and hot is HOT!

#2 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for this tip! When you say "Thai spicy" I think of a southern Thai restaurant in Hollywood called Jitlada that became super popular after a Thai officianado from Chicago decided as public service to translate the only-in-Thai southern specialties page. He posted about it on Chowhound, and it became popular among the cognoscenti. Then Jonathan Gold wire about it, and the place exploded in popularity. They have a kind of beef jerky that can be ordered "thai spicy", not for some kind of hipster endurance test, but because that's how it's eaten in Thailand, and let me tell you it's delicious but simultaneously barely edible. I never order Thai spicy because of that experience...It just doesn't taste good to me. Still, I am glad to know about this place. I've been meaning to get to the cemitas truck by Costco for some time now...I saw it mentioned by Eva but did not see anyone actually review it.

Mr Taster

#3 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:27 PM

So this is kind of by K-Mart then?   That's where the cemitas truck used to be, now it's by the railroad tracks by Costco.

#4 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

So this is kind of by K-Mart then?   That's where the cemitas truck used to be, now it's by the railroad tracks by Costco.

No, it's actually a few blocks east of K Mart. There's still a few carts in the lot (where the Cemitas cart used to be). It's next door to a small Mexican market. 

#5 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for this tip! . . . I've been meaning to get to the cemitas truck by Costco for some time now...I saw it mentioned by Eva but did not see anyone actually review it.

Mr Taster

I reviewed the cemitas truck in it's old location a while back with pics: 

http://portlandfood.... cemitas truck

#6 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

I'm going to have to give this place a second try based on crepeguy's review. I went there once and was resoundingly underwhelmed. I may have tried the wrong things. 

Nervioustian - it's in a funky little strip mall on the south side of Sandy Blvd between 138th/Costco and 122nd/KMart

#7 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

I'm going to have to give this place a second try based on crepeguy's review. I went there once and was resoundingly underwhelmed. I may have tried the wrong things. 

Nervioustian - it's in a funky little strip mall on the south side of Sandy Blvd between 138th/Costco and 122nd/KMart

One caveat--we tried their Pad Thai last week and it was just ok.

Please report back. I hope it's a better experience for you.