Can Font

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

I've only had one dinner there but we really enjoyed Can Font. We had mixed roasted vegetables with canned tuna belly, croquettes, fideos with monkfish/shrimp/cuttlefish/clams/mussels and a crispy pork with foie gras. All were good but the pork was the standout.

Service was the best I've ever had in Portland. It's a good reminder very few service people in Portland have ever worked in fine dining or could even use a crumber.

The kitchen staff are speaking Catalan as was our waiter. I don't know what the transition plan is but for now, it's exciting to have a refined place in the Pearl.

Cocktails were good if unremarkable given the press but wine list was very well chosen and reasonably priced.

#2 Locoto

Locoto
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

You're famous, pwillen1.

https://pdx.eater.co...portland-oregon

#3 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

What's with the review of reviews piece? I'm sure there's some mobius irony in there somewhere/how. 

The restaurant looks nice but, it's funny, I sit at the corner of 10th and Northrup, not infrequently, waiting for the light to change and stared at their sign for may days trying to figure out what it says. Okay, not for days on end, but for a number of days while waiting for the light ; ) It wasn't until I read the post here that I put the sign and name together. Hopefully it's easier to decipher at night when it's lit.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#4 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

does this place have a bar one can sit at and forego reservations and table sevice?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#5 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

Pollo: yes they do. they have about 8 seats in the bar and at least 4 lounge chairs with a low table. They are well positioned for the well heeled residents upstairs to grab a bite and a drink.

Eva: are you saying you can't decipher their font?

and yes, I don't get the review of reviews thing. Why not just go? Budget or effort issues I guess.

#6 vj

vj
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

Okay, I went to eater to see the review.

Here are my uneducated thoughts. They probably have a goal of having x amounts of posts a day (per city/per writer). And yeah, it looks like their heels might not be nice enough, or the reservations accomodating enough, or that sort of fine dining is perhaps out of their focus. Especially if there wasn't a soft open or a press dinner. But Eater has to cover it somehow, amirite?

Reading Portland restaurant news just bums me out. There are too many places that are struggling or closing that I'm emotionally attached to. Blegh.

#7 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:32 AM

They did have a press dinner which makes the review of reviews all the more odd.

#8 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

I think Can Font is most likely a gem--and if pwillen1 says it's so, then it must be so.  That being said, I think their name leaves a lot to be desired (for Portland) and their concept: high-end modernist Catalan cuisine will not work here. It will not attract the 'average' local, and will only attract tourists who are culinarily aware (of which tthere are few).

Think I'm wrong? Chesa closes tomorrow, and word has it another, similar concept is on the rocks. But everyone here LOVES the churros, and who wouldn't? Fried tubes of dough filled with sweet creams. But that's Portland. Portland's not a sophisticated town with regards to food. It's a town that loves American comfort food 'with a local twist.' All I can say, Can Font had best put both a burger and fried chicken dish on their menu stat or they're going to get a rude awakening come winter. 

As far as the review of reviews, Eater has done this before. Yes, it's lazy to be the aggregator of online opinions, but it's too soon for an 'official' review. And let's be frank, does anyone here think any of our local food reviewers are up to the challenge? They're a bunch of blithering idiots going on about ice cream, hipster cafes, hip-hop pizza, chicken sandwiches and whatnot.

Is it Burger Week yet? 

#9 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

"And let's be frank, does anyone here think any of our local food reviewers are up to the challenge?

Zusman. He's got more international travel & dining experience than most people in the US. 

#10 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

one clarification: Can Font isn't modernist. It's modern. It's not tweezers, foraged seaweed, chemicals and expensive roto machines or whatnot.

#11 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:15 PM

I think crepeguy makes a reasonable point about Portlanders' food/dining proclivities. Though...what's wrong with ice cream??!! ;)

And, not at all related to Can Font, I also agree about Zusman. He has wide ranging food experience, looks at the product/experience/place in an interesting and bigger-than-just-what's-on-the-plate manner, AND he is an unusually good writer. 

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#12 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

I think crepeguy makes a reasonable point about Portlanders' food/dining proclivities. Though...what's wrong with ice cream??!! ;)
à
And, not at all related to Can Font, I also agree about Zusman. He has wide ranging food experience, looks at the product/experience/place in an interesting and bigger-than-just-what's-on-the-plate manner, AND he is an unusually good writer.à

I like ice cream (and pizza, burgers, fried chicken and donuts too), but there's so much else this town could and should embrace.

I never think of Zusman as a food reviewer. He's a judge that writes well, is well travelled and an occasional contributor. But yes, he would be the obvious choice.

I think Can Font may do well in a city like New York, but I'm not even sure that would work.

And thank you pwillen for making the distinction between modern and modernist. I tried to view the menu online, and it wasn't up when I last looked.

I just looked, the menu is online now. I will say, they do throw the term 'avant-garde' around a lot on their website. What's that about?

#13 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

I will say, they do throw the term 'avant-garde' around a lot on their website. What's that about?

I would guess a couple of things:  One is that phrase might have a slightly different connotation in Spain. I work daily with a team in Valencia and we fine-tune a lot of copy for the US that comes from there. Two, that copy is probably written by the restaurant with the help of a friend and no copywriters were involved.

I look forward to trying this place.  I hope the food tastes as beautiful as it looks!

#14 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

I will say, they do throw the term 'avant-garde' around a lot on their website. What's that about?

I would guess a couple of things:  One is that phrase might have a slightly different connotation in Spain. I work daily with a team in Valencia and we fine-tune a lot of copy for the US that comes from there. Two, that copy is probably written by the restaurant with the help of a friend and no copywriters were involved.

I look forward to trying this place.  I hope the food tastes as beautiful as it looks!

You could be right.

Barcelona has an Art Nouveau aura primarily due to the influence of Antoni Gaudí and, to a lesser degree, Salvador Dalí. Chef Ferran Adrià has often referred his 'Modernist' cuisine to Dalí's art. It's almost as if 'avant garde' is percieved as being a required component of recent Catalan cuisine. I mean, look at the mural on the wall of Can Font, it's Gaudí building: Casa Mila:DinaAvila_CanFont_2.jpg

Here's a quote from their (Can Font) website that defines their style of cuisine:

“Our menu can be defined as elaborate traditional cuisine with a touch of modernism, using high quality, local products while always respecting the principal flavors of the product and highlighting the mediterranean character of our background.” – Josep Vidal, chef owner

For me, the terms 'modernism' and 'modernist' are interchangeable (and 'traditional' does not equate 'modern'). Regardless, I'll definitely be going as soon as I sell enough crepes.