Jackrabbit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

Looks like the Chris Cosentino place opened on 830 SW 6th yesterday for lunch and dinner. Looked at the menu and there were interesting things not commonly found in Portland but wow..the prices!!! Hope to check it out some time. Hope someone else goes first and drops the big money to give us report. There's an article on eater.com with a link to the menu. Curious for others to check it out and opinions on prices. Seems more in line with prices in San Francisco not Portland. Curious whether that will be sustainable. 

Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#2 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:41 AM

Which prices look off to you? entrees are $25-$36 which is in line with other places in SW. Yes there are some very expensive performance pieces but those are not something you're going to order every day, just if you have a big group. I'll go soon and report back, but I'm sure the per person cost won't be much more than Le Pigeon who seems their main competition.

#3 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

i agree. this seems pretty par for course. not affordable by any stretch, but it actually seems somewhat lower than expectations when accounting for a hotel property.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#4 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

I think my eye was drawn a little too much to the big ticket sharing items that's why I was asking the opinion of others. Hope to try it in the near future. Thanks for the feedback. 

Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#5 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

Not that $120 for 36 oysters, 12 clams and charcuterie.. but depending on the amount of meat served it's definitely not outrages.    Lot's of places are charging around $3 per oysters already.. and this you get a lot more.     The $38 for 12/6/charcuterie sounds like a deal if it's good.

I'll make it out eventually.

#6 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

We went last night. The prices seemed fair to me except for the sides and the salad (which were very skimpy) for the price (like $8 I think). But I saw another salad go out and it was huge, so maybe just a portioning error. 

The $20 Around the World in 8 Hams is a fantastic deal and a generous portion, considering that plates of iberico go for $20 all over town (bar casa vale and ataula). Also got the pork chop at like $35 I think? It's large enough to split if you're ordering other things. It's on par with other high end places in the neighborhood like Higgins. Though it was cooked thoroughly it arrived cold. But I ate the nuked leftovers for lunch today and it was very very good.

They had $6 negroni on tap and $6 pints. Cocktails are $12 and the two we had very very good. Ordered a Ransom Old Tom Martinez (not on the menu) and it was unfortunately unbalanced (too much vermouth), $13.

The tombo tuna was another great dish worth ordering.

I saw a couple splitting the whole pig head and it looked great. I butted it and asked them how it was and one person replied that it was a little fatty. Well the pork chop was fatty too, but it's fantastic fat! It is a giant platter -- maybe 20 inches in diameter. They had another shareable platter (not on menu) that was two whole Dungeness crabs and a whole pork tenderloin for $110. 

It's a beautiful space, gorgeously lit and outfitted with big comfy booths and three bars. Service was knowledgeable. Cosentino was wandering around, not cooking but schmoozing.

We'll definitely return!