mmmm-margaritas

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vj

vj
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

Hey all -

I love margaritas but I'm lazy and, well, lazy. Is there such a thing as a not-horrible margarita mix? Please share...

#2 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

If you prefer to use a mix, Sauza Premium Margarita Mix works.  

#3 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

I've found that the Jose Cuervo Golden premixed margaritas are pretty good when you don't feel like making your own.

#4 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

I just learned this rule-of-dumb for Margs:

1-2-3

1 part lime juice (the only "work" part of the process)

2 parts orange liqueur 

3 parts tequila

Shake with ice

Salt and glass which you would be doing anyway.

Pretty easy!

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#5 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

Tommy's is good, but will set you back (32oz for around $11-$13). But you won't need limes or simple syrup. You can also use limeade to round out Eva's recipe above.

FWIW, my current preferred recipe:

2oz tequila

1oz lime juice

.75oz 2:1 simple syrup

.75oz orange liqueur

If was using limeade I might just do something like:

2oz tequila

2oz limeade

.75 orange liqueur

#6 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

Also sub in .5oz of mezcal for .5oz of the tequila and you've improved your margarita.

#7 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

I guess I like my margaritas a bit more tart. I use 2-1-1  Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice. I think Lunazul Blanco and Bols Orange Liqueur is fine about 95% of the time and especially for a crowd. A Mexican Juicer or one of the prettier smaller colored ones they sell make short work of a lime and the flavor is so much fresher.

Most of these formulas work well if you scale them up into a batch for a party.

The Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao makes an awesome upgrade over most any other orange liqueur including Cointreau and Grand Marnier.

Adding one part grapefruit juice makes them a bit less boozy and is a nice change

Muddling a small slice of orange in the shaker makes a brighter fruitier margarita that's a crowd pleaser. 

I'm sort of in agreement about the Mezcal. I like to mix in a bit, but a full measure is too much for me, but I'm guessing Flynn has more Mescal to choose from than I do. The Vida is too smoky by itself for me.

The Costco mix is okay. I think any of the mixes will be improved by a squeeze of fresh lime. 

#8 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

I agree. It's tough for me to make them without fresh lime. Like, "I guess since we're camping I'll bring a mix".

#9 vj

vj
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

Good conversation!

I would definitely say I don't prefer a mix. I don't. I prefer it when someone else makes me a margarita from scratch (esp. when there's some mezcal in it). 

If I'm getting a premix, I go for 1800 Ultimate Margarita, which in my experience is better than the Sauza or Cuervo (sorry, I get these brands mixed up - but I tried a premix from one of those and it was close to undrinkable). 

I have tequila & triple sec here. 

Limeade sounds great. I'll check out Costco's and Tommy's mixes. I suspect that a mix with my tequila/triple sec will come out cheaper than a bottle of the 1800 - and hopefully tastier too.

Does anyone have any experience with Rose's Lime?

Thanks all!

#10 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

Let's talk about the serving part.

Do you all serve them with or without ice in the serving glass after shaking with ice? I've had them both ways. 

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#11 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:46 PM

No ice unless it's like 90 degrees plus in the sun. Chilled glass though.

#12 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

Rose's Lime is horrible in my opinion. Way too sweet. BG Reynolds is a local brand of Lime Cordial. It's better, but still too sweet for my tastes.

If I'm making a top end margarita no ice into a chilled glass. Mostly though I strain it into a rocks glass with more ice. I don't typically salt the rim, but I do put a small pinch of salt in the shaker when I'm making the cocktail.

#13 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Hey all -

I love margaritas but I'm lazy and, well, lazy. Is there such a thing as a not-horrible margarita mix? Please share...

Good conversation!

I would definitely say I don't prefer a mix. I don't. I prefer it when someone else makes me a margarita from scratch (esp. when there's some mezcal in it). 

If I'm getting a premix, I go for 1800 Ultimate Margarita, which in my experience is better than the Sauza or Cuervo (sorry, I get these brands mixed up - but I tried a premix from one of those and it was close to undrinkable). 

I have tequila & triple sec here. 

Limeade sounds great. I'll check out Costco's and Tommy's mixes. I suspect that a mix with my tequila/triple sec will come out cheaper than a bottle of the 1800 - and hopefully tastier too.

Does anyone have any experience with Rose's Lime?

Thanks all!

Honestly, it's just tequila, fresh lime juice and triple sec. There's absolutely no reason for a mix. You can adjust the elements to make it sweeter or more tart. 1800 Ultimate Margarita and Jose Cuervo Golden are pre-mixed cocktails, these are great for taking to the beach or camping with a cooler of ice.

A very tasty margarita can be found at La Panza Cafe. They have a happy hour Prickly Pear Margarita (Happy Hour $5) served out of a slushy machine. 

BTW, VJ, I noticed yesterday there are some goats in a yard a block away from you. Have they always been there? One was standing on the fence, posing for someone taking a photo. 

#14 vj

vj
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

La Panza

I love La Panza's Margarita - I am pretty crazy about anything with prickly pear, especially the pink/red ones that are less sweet. And slushy machines? +++++

Do you all serve them with or without ice in the serving glass after shaking with ice?

I usually do my margaritas at home without ice (bad teeth) or salt (lazy) - and with spicy salt at the places that have it. I'm infamous in some circles for my gauche way of making sure I get some salt in each sip. On shaking - I only do that if I'm making more than one margarita. If it's just me, it's just a stir with a chopstick.

BTW, VJ, I noticed yesterday there are some goats in a yard a block away from you. Have they always been there? One was standing on the fence, posing for someone taking a photo.

And Crepeguy, the goats have been there for a couple years (though I don't think they're very obvious if you just drive by). They have silly names (one is Zygoat, how brilliant is that?) and they seem to be quite a neighborhood attraction. Given that there is a food dispenser there, the goats are crazy friendly if you feed them. And pretty meh about me when I walk by. 

There's absolutely no reason for a mix.

It definitely tastes better if you make it fresh. But we're talking about me, who sometimes can't manage to make Top ramen because it's too much work. It's not so much lazy as paralyzingly depressed - and even so, I believe I deserve margaritas too...