menu: http://www.xlbpdx.com/food

press:

Have you been there yet?

#2 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

I've not yet been, but I have it on good authority that the signature dish is not very good.  I've heard the term "under seasoned" bandied about in a couple of circles. 

Last night I was just chatting with a fellow that felt there was not enough gelatin in the broth, but that the place was crowded nonetheless. 

I suspect this could be the Boke Bowl/Boxer Ramen phenomenon all over again-- i.e. a nontraditional, vastly inferior product that is enjoyed by locals simply because there is no outside frame of reference by which it can be compared.  (Now of course the ramen situation in Portland is a lot different.)

If you're looking for a more accurate (and delicious) representation of Chinese cookery with a heavy lean towards the traditional, give Danwei Canting a try.  I'll post in a separate link.

Mr Taster

#3 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

I've heard they've been mobbed since day one, but their online reviews are not great. I've been a bit reluctant to go. 

#4 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

We went yesterday. No line when we got there but that was a fluke because there was a line out the door 10 min after. I'm not an expert on XLB and don't pretend to be. I don't get into the too much / not enough of this or that. It's pretty much either we like it or we don't. My 9 YO gave the best review. "It's good, but not as good as DTF."  That sums it up. Same for Duck House. Good, but not as good as DTF. 

We probably won't go back to XLB though because $70 - $80 is a lot for brunch for 2 adults and a kid.  Food + sodas + tip.  We have the same problem at Boke Bowl dim sum.  There are too many other great brunch & lunch places for way less around town.

One odd thing we loved at XLB was the lychee-lime soda. It's a syrup from Portland Soda Works. I need to look that up. We have a SodaStream so I could see using that in the future if it's available retail. Great stuff. 

#5 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

We went yesterday. No line when we got there but that was a fluke because there was a line out the door 10 min after. I'm not an expert on XLB and don't pretend to be. I don't get into the too much / not enough of this or that. It's pretty much either we like it or we don't. My 9 YO gave the best review. "It's good, but not as good as DTF."  That sums it up. Same for Duck House. Good, but not as good as DTF. 

We probably won't go back to XLB though because $70 - $80 is a lot for brunch for 2 adults and a kid.  Food + sodas + tip.  We have the same problem at Boke Bowl dim sum.  There are too many other great brunch & lunch places for way less around town.

One odd thing we loved at XLB was the lychee-lime soda. It's a syrup from Portland Soda Works. I need to look that up. We have a SodaStream so I could see using that in the future if it's available retail. Great stuff. 

I googled DTF Portland. The results I got were unexpected and I don't think they had anything to do with a 9YO's review. So what is this place Jennifer's daughter is referring too?

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

I googled DTF Portland. The results I got were unexpected and I don't think they had anything to do with a 9YO's review. So what is this place Jennifer's daughter is referring too?

Sorry about that.  Din Tai Fung. http://dintaifungusa.com/  Closest locations are Seattle and Santa Clara, CA.  We went to the one in Costa Mesa, CA.