Photo

Thillist Article 12/30/16

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

I think this article is amazingly spot-on (and it's quite scary):

https://www.thrillis...ry-bubble-burst

PS: Why is this food group now dead? Did everone go back to Chowhound? 

#2 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:03 AM

Everyone went to Facebook.

#3 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

This place is dead and I am not happy about it 

#4 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:58 AM

Yeah, but it's been a few years since it was really active... and probably 4 or 5 since it was the go to Portland food blog.

I think people just thought it easier to post once on FB.   

Nick's super active there...  but yeah it's sad that this place is basically dead.    It was such a great resource from trusted people.

#5 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:10 AM

I think this article is amazingly spot-on (and it's quite scary):

https://www.thrillis...ry-bubble-burst

PS: Why is this food group now dead? Did everone go back to Chowhound? 

I haven't gone to Chowhound in years. This place just sort of petered out. I think the beginning of the end was when Nick and Ken started Kenny and Zukes. It took a lot of Nick's time. I think these sorts of forums got replaced by other forms of social media too. Nick was active on twitter for a while. A lot of other people have just moved on. It used to be you'd post and get a dozen responses minimum. 

Recently, I've wondered if I show up here and see a domain for sale banner. 

Crepe Guy - I appreciate your posts and viewpoints. You're about the only one reliably doing what everybody on this site used to do. 

#6 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

I think really as a whole forums like this have kind of died down.. as did a lot of blogs.    Facebook and Twitter just became better aggregators for people than going multiple places to get info.. and the fact that a lot of people don't use forums, as we I grew up with them since dial-up BBS's back in the day I'm used to the format.. but people like the right now response of FB/Twitter/Instagram etc..   it's also easier to upload pics and discuss other topics.    

Though I do miss the more in-depth conversations we all had years ago, as this was a pretty diverse and interesting group of people.... and a couple crazy people... 

#7 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

i agree, nervousxtian. but this site has always been spurred by extramsg's prolific posting and appetite for trying new places and in-depth reporting. he works like 80 hours a week so...

he's probably disappointed in all of us for collectively being so lame and not carrying on this legacy. he still pays the hosting costs i suppose just to keep this content on this platform in the public record, so to speak. 

if reddit somehow could import all these threads i think it would go a ways to reviving activity (and likewise improve the discourse level on any portland food sub-reddit)

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#8 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

if reddit somehow could import all these threads i think it would go a ways to reviving activity (and likewise improve the discourse level on any portland food sub-reddit)

Great idea!  Reddit is still old school forum posting with high participation.

Two weeks ago I bought a prime rib on sale at QFC and was trying to remember the details of the reverse sear for prime rib.  And then found the old thread that is 1 and 2 years old full of documentation of how people cooked theirs (cook time, temps, resting times, results, pics and so on), plus all of my comments.  I was thankful this board was still up!  Social media doesn't provide the deep dive conversation that happens in a forum environment.

#9 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

Jennifer, that makes me think of the chili thread. <makes Homerlike slurp>

#10 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

Everyone went to Facebook.

So, what you're saying is that everyone here are friends on Facebook, and that is where you discuss food Portland related things?

I haven't gone to Chowhound in years. This place just sort of petered out. I think the beginning of the end was when Nick and Ken started Kenny and Zukes. It took a lot of Nick's time. I think these sorts of forums got replaced by other forms of social media too. Nick was active on twitter for a while. A lot of other people have just moved on. It used to be you'd post and get a dozen responses minimum. 

Recently, I've wondered if I show up here and see a domain for sale banner. 

Crepe Guy - I appreciate your posts and viewpoints. You're about the only one reliably doing what everybody on this site used to do. 

Thank you for saying so. I guess I'm about ten years too late. It feels like Portland's peaked in a sense. It's not that there's a lack new concepts and ideas on the horizon, on the contrary, but the energy/excitement seems different. 

#11 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

No, I don't think we've peaked.. we just aren't an emerging market anymore when it comes to food.. there's still a lot going on and new places and great places opening.  

The internet has changed things though.. things that were hot before aren't.. the big social media markets kind of just became easier for a lot of people.

I think there's quite a few on FB from here, though I don't know everyone's real names.. but MSG posts a lot.

#12 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

Maybe it is simply as easy as creating a Portlandfood.org Group on Facebook and seeing where this takes us. Any mod on this board can be the group admin, I don't think ExtraMSG particularly cares.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#13 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Damn, I had a kid and have been paying a lot less attention to restaurants.  I'd hoped this would all still be here when I came back :(

#14 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:36 AM

I'm on a snowboard forum that has seen the same trend of decreasing traffic. Everyone left there is, how shall I put it, of a certain age (including me). Folks there are also hypothesizing that people that once might have joined the forum are moving to Facebook instead. It's too bad because I think FB is crap and don't use it. Both this forum and my snowboard forum have a fabulous signal:noise ratio and content of a quality that I don't think you can find on social media.

So...anyone want to hear about my trip to Pujol in October? :-)

#15 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:06 AM

I'm on a snowboard forum that has seen the same trend of decreasing traffic. Everyone left there is, how shall I put it, of a certain age (including me). Folks there are also hypothesizing that people that once might have joined the forum are moving to Facebook instead. It's too bad because I think FB is crap and don't use it. Both this forum and my snowboard forum have a fabulous signal:noise ratio and content of a quality that I don't think you can find on social media.

Sure.

#16 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Yes!