Photo

Maruti

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:07 AM

Hands down the best Indian I've had in this city. The only problem is the menu is limited in offerings, tough that may change after some time passes. It's 100% vegetarian (like most of India), so meat eaters may be weirded out enough to not go (to their disadvantage). It will definitely become a destination spot for lovers of Indian food, as most of the neighborhood will invariably prefer pizza next door at Blackbird. Will they get the hype of Bollywood Theater? Probably not, but don't let that deter you.

The garlic naan is the best I've had in a long time. The Samosa Chole was delicious. Mung Sprout Salad was good, but not outstanding. Mushroom Biryani was simple, yet delicious. It brought back memories of flavors at higher end places in NYC. Dal Soup (spit into two by the kitchen) was delicious. Baingan Bharta - Eggplant is first skewered and smoked in Tandoor oven for hours, then slow cooked in Indian spices, served with basmati pulao rice (GF, V) -$12.99 was intensely rich with notes of cinnamon, cumin (tamarind?). It was basically a puree. We took half home to enjoy the next day with basmati and naan. 

I imagine this is the sort of food which is au courant in New Dehli and Mumbai, you'll not find the ubiqutous Butter Chicken here.

Sevice is excellent.

Maruti 

1925 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97214

http://www.maruti-restaurant.com

#2 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

thank you for the report! sounds great.

#3 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:18 PM

I will check it out. Thanks crepeguy.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#4 extralipitor

extralipitor
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

Someone mentioned on another thread that this restaurant relocated from Mt. Shasta.  Had outstanding reviews on yelp at the former location.