Photo

Baba’s Mediterranean Grill (in Bethany Village)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Qwizdom

Qwizdom
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:01 PM

Anyone try it yet?  Looks like a Mediterranean place served chipotle-style (pick your ingredients as they make it for you)

https://www.yelp.com...-grill-portland

#2 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

Yes. I've been twice.  Falafel are very good.  Sauces are good.  Shawarma style beef+lamb is good (they mix the meats together on the skewer).  Salad mixture is good. Pickled onions, and so on.

But when the items are all put together, they're just "okay" for us. We've tried pita sandwiches, salad bowls, sides of falafel. 

For the pita sandwiches, my main complaint is that I don't care for their pita.  It's kind of dry and grainy.  I'm not sure what I'm expecting, but the texture doesn't work for me.  I think they make them from scratch, everything in there is from scratch.  As much as I wanted to be a fan of this and was excited to see them warming the pitas for the sandwiches, it didn't come together like I was hoping.

Since we didn't like the pita bread, we tried salad bowls next time.  The line the bottom with hummus, then pile in yellow rice, then whatever ingredients you want. Meat or falafel, lettuce, cabbage, pickled onions, veg salad, feta, sliced dill pickles, sauces.  But again, all together it fell bland. They were out of pickled onions and cabbage when we ordered the bowls, so maybe that would've made a big difference.  But overall the hummus + rice took over and made everything very one-note.  As much as we didn't think that would happen, that's what happened.

So, I'll go grab a side of falafel occasionally, but other than that, I haven't figured out what or how to order so that we like what we get. Because clearly the ingredients on their own, are good.