Afuri Ramen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

Afuri Ramen is doing their soft opening from now until 10/18. They're open from 5pm-10pm, no word on how many nights a week yet. They'll be open until 11pm after the soft opening.

Stopped in for a late dinner and was impressed with what we had. The shio/yuzu broth is great, as are the noodles. Solid cocktails (care of Ryan Magarian), and a great sake list (albeit not many bargains to be had).

It's upscale and will run you more than Noraneko or Marukin, so I'm guessing this is not your happy hour snack stop. I'd definitely check it out for a nicer dinner though or as the last stop of a night out.

I was told they were slammed both Friday and Saturday night, so I'd hit them up on a weekday on the later side. I envision them getting a lot of early press. It's an impressive space and they seem to be putting a lot of effort in. I saw a bunch of staff from their Japan operation observing every detail of the kitchen line. They're clearly gunning to be less of a noodle shop and more of an upmarket hybrid ramen-ya/restaurant.

Afuri Ramen

921 SE 7th Ave

Portland, OR 97214

http://afuri.us/

#2 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:32 AM

Can we talk about the yuzu beer that the Commons brewed for them? Starts out bright and nicely acidic, a great foil for the uber-rich paitan ramen I had. But by the end it was as though I had been assaulted by household cleaning products.

#3 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

Can we talk about the yuzu beer that the Commons brewed for them? Starts out bright and nicely acidic, a great foil for the uber-rich paitan ramen I had. But by the end it was as though I had been assaulted by household cleaning products.

Thank you for this pithy review of the beer. I laughed long and out loud. 

#4 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

Place is legit, place is also pretty expensive.    

Didn't have a bad bite all night, and did about 10 dishes overall.

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:38 PM

"Why did Afuri come to Portland?"

http://www.pdxmonthl...e-got-the-water

"Why here? Because we’ve got the water—Bull Run Watershed water, to be exact, with a pH level around 7.5. “I went on a trip across the US just looking for waters,” explains Afuri’s US CEO, Taichi Ishizuki. “Our broth is super-sensitive chicken soup, with delicate seasonings. Portland water makes our broth the best. Afuri cannot exist without the water.”"