Musubi

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

This is what replaced the dearly departed Taste Unique. Looks like today was their first day open. I didn't stop in to try anything, but I like the idea of a musubi/onigiri-focused restaurant. 

2134 SE Division Street
Portland, Oregon 97202

Mon - Fri: 8AM - 3PM 

#2 bwolff

bwolff
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

Spam musubi is a popular snack and lunch food in Hawaii composed of a slice of grilled Spam on top of a block of rice, wrapped together with nori dried seaweed in the tradition of Japanese omusubi. Wikipedia

??? this is what they serve?

BLW

#3 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

Spam musubi is a popular snack and lunch food in Hawaii composed of a slice of grilled Spam on top of a block of rice, wrapped together with nori dried seaweed in the tradition of Japanese omusubi. Wikipedia

??? this is what they serve?

BLW

Apparently so. They serve "artisanal spam," which I assume is house made. I'd like to try it out. Here's their menu:

http://www.grindmusu...9-28-16_web.pdf

#4 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

Where did you find the menu? I looked all over....

Found this though. :)

IMG_2231.jpg

#5 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

I was checking out the menu yesterday. Lots of Onigiri. Looking forward to it.

I like funky old Spam Musubi, but "Artisanal Spam" sounds like fun.

#6 vj

vj
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

I love that photo! I'm in.

#7 herbs de provence

herbs de provence
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:09 PM

I stopped by here today after seeing this thread. I was a little disappointed by a few things - the rice was very dry (much more so than other onigiri I've had), and eating it was a little difficult. I was out running errands, so tried to eat there. They have a few stools available to eat there, but no counter or anywhere to set your food (we ended up putting our food on the stools and standing to eat). We had wanted to try the soup and some of the salads, but thought it would be too difficult to eat those with the seating arrangements they have in place. There was a couple eating there who were using the windowsill as a table, but it was only large enough for the two of them. I also found the plastic wrapping that they used a little difficult to take off. If we were taking the order to go, or if I had used their delivery service I think I would have appreciated the plastic wrapping as it covered not only the exterior of the onigiri but it also separated the rice from the nori wrapping. Trying to unwrap it there, while either sitting on a stool balancing your food on your lap or bending over and using your stool as a makeshift table, was cumbersome. The housemade spam was very good, and that one was less dry than their other shapes because of the sauce on the spam. I'll give it another shot, but I'll take it to go and will order from the "rectangle" side of the menu (the spam).

#8 vj

vj
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

Musubi donated food to a fundraiser I was taking part in yesterday. I wish I had a camera - the presentation was so gorgeous!

I had the Spicy Tuna Mayo and the Artisanal Spam and were delighted by both. Neither was dry. Both were delicious.

The plastic wrapping of the Spicy Tuna Mayo was a little frustrating - if you have to have instructions to open the package, maybe it's too precious? Though it did ensure that a little of the nori was crispy.

That said, I was amazed by how filling two rolls were (we could call it lunch), and how reasonable the prices are. 

#9 nomnom

nomnom
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, I was not smart enough to know how to open the packaging right away but once I figured it out I really loved how it is designed to prevent soggy nori, and worked!

I have had the umeboshi, salt-cured salmon and the tofu. All were really good, though not as good as Tanuki's onigiri from back in the day! 

My beef with Musubi is their hours. They are only open 8 am - 6pm. We would definitely get them for dinner or evening snacks or late night bad (good) decisions. In fact the only time I have ever been in was right when they were closing. I guess they are thinking more of a breakfast/lunch place although I just don't envision them being busy in the morning hours? But I could be wrong! And hopefully am! But later hours would be good too. I know they are super new so maybe that is in the long-range plans...