Coffee grinder recommendation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hi. Need an electric burr grinder recommendation... I mostly use a French press so looking for one that makes a consistent coarse grind. Thanks.

#2 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:58 PM

How much as you're willing to spend? Grinders are one of those items you'll want to spend as much as you can afford. Sweet Maria's is a well know and respected company for those of us that roast our own beans. They do a lot of testing of all coffee related products and many are posted on their YouTube channel. 

Here is the grinder info page. https://www.sweetmar...ipment/grinders

Happy hunting!

#3 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:45 AM

The Baratza Encore on the link that _RC posted is a good way to go. I've used the old model at a friends place for his French Press. The new model doesn't have a timer, it's just on/off, but it's quieter according to the description. Quieter in a coffee grinder is a plus in my book.

I always weigh my beans before grinding, but measuring it probably good enough. My buddy has his timer set to grind an appropriate amount of beans on his machine. He always uses the same bean/roast from the same roaster so he gets pretty consistent results. I notice they've now got a scale that costs more than the grinder so you can automatically weigh the exact amount you want using the grinder. Pretty cool, but more than I'd want so pay.

FWIW, I've got a KitchenAid Pro. It's huge, heavy and messy. If I was going to buy another machine, I'd buy the Baratza if I was making French Press, Aeropress or Drip.

The more expensive machines do a better job on the finer grinds. That's more important if you're an espresso obsessive.

#4 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. A friend also recommended the Encore.

I know of Clive....are there other local specialty retailers?

#5 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

According to their dealer locator there are a bunch of dealers in PDX

Seattle Coffee Gear typically has refurbished equipment for sale on their website. I don't know if their local store does though. You can save some $$ and the refurbished espresso machine I bought from them looked like new.

#6 ibgpdx

ibgpdx
  • Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:26 PM

Picked up an Encore from Clive....way way more consistent than the Cuisinart burr grinder it replaced.

Thanks for the rec.