in the Couve

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Per Eater, Alan Maniscalo who spent the last decade helping run the show at Ken’s Artisan Pizza in southeast Portland just opened his own pizzeria. Has anyone been?

8070 E Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver, Wash.

360-524-9000

HOURS:  11 am - 9:00 pm sun - thurs  
                11 AM - 9:30 PM fri - sat
                2 - 5 PM HAPPY HOUR daily

#2 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:47 AM

sadly, not open for lunch. Going to try to hit the wood fired sourdough pizza that just opened from the former Otto chef soon. It's called Nonavo and it's downtown Couv.

#3 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

My understanding is that they open today.  I'm excited.   We don't many good options over here.

#4 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:57 AM

Jafar, do you have any guesses why they chose there versus farther east toward the nicer houses?

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

Jafar, do you have any guesses why they chose there versus farther east toward the nicer houses?

I was wondering this same thing.  Unless rent cost was the driving factor.

#6 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

My grand kids are over near Salmon Creek. I'm fine with it being closer in. There is a younger more prosperous crowd moving into downtown Vancouver too. 

I'd also venture the rent is higher in the newer places farther east.

#7 bwolff

bwolff
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

We went last night and had a decent meal.  It is a large open space and was pretty crowded 5:30-6.  Lots of small kids whose squeals add a certain ambiance.  No expert on pizza, I thought pizza was decent. I liked the cheese dialed back, sausage was very mild, sauce lacked much punch. Wife added salt, First time I saw that, I opted for pepper flakes.   The crust was stellar. Thin, crispy on the bottom and tender on top. We also got roasted veggies which were very good.  Such a simple thing to throw veggies in pizza oven until they blacken a bit and dress with olive oil, and tasty result.  From the looks of the crowd, appears it will be successful, but its an awfully large space for a local pizza place.

B LW 

#8 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

First visit to Rally during their first weekend opening.  It’s in a strip mall called The Mill (formerly Garrison Sq.), with lots and lots of parking, along with the soon-to-open Smokehouse Provisions to the left with Ben’s Bottle Shop. We were there at open 4:30 and surprised to see other cars waiting. 

When you walk in, the kitchen and prep stations are to the left, in the middle is the bar, with comfortable looking seats, and a row of two-top tables, then about a 4 ft. wall separating it from the four-top+ tables and general dining area. It is there that the families and large groups will find more spacious seating. The pizzeria is a 75-seat space. Music is playing in the background.

Servers take your order. We had the homemade Calabrian sausage pizza and it was very good with a good punch of flavor. I couldn’t really taste the smoked mozz or the sweet and sour onions (was my cold getting in the way?). Maybe starting with the seasonal roasted vegetables of padron peppers, purple finger potatoes, cauliflower, delicata squash, hazelnuts, carrots and mayo-based orange sauce mask the subsequent flavor of the pizza. I’ve never had Ken’s Artisan wood-fired pizza so I can’t compare it to Rally’s gas oven pizza. There was a nice char on the pizza crust. Really enjoyed their side and maybe, in the future, they will add more.

We liked the concrete custard dessert and that one could order, not only wine and beer, but cocktails too.

Just after 5 p.m., the general dining area was filled, people waiting at the entrance, although there was still seating at the bar and some two-top table seating. The bar looked like a nice place to grab a bite and drink with its wall of liquor displayed and under shelf lighting.

Service was pleasant and efficient. A good central location for capturing west and east target markets.

#9 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:57 AM

bwolff, do you mean they have salt as an optional topping or your wife added table salt to the pizza?

#10 bwolff

bwolff
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

I meant she added salt. Looking forward to trying nonavo now. 

#11 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:45 AM

Each table had a 3 compartment condiment caddy containing dry herbs, salt, and dry red peppers flakes.

#12 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

Easy access from I-205?   I'd prefer it further East, but unlike downtown Vancouver, is significantly more convenient than going to Portland.

#13 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:28 AM

Now Open for lunch, happy hour and dinner! HOURS:  11 am - 9:00 pm sun - thurs  
                11 AM - 9:30 PM fri - sat
                2 - 5 PM HAPPY HOUR daily