vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hat Yai

1605 NE Killingsworth St.

Portland, OR 97211

(503) 764-9701

http://hatyaipdx.com/

The exclusive restaurant inside of PaaDee, Langbaan is so popular it could have its own reservation scalping ring (seriously, the restaurant is so hyped and delicious to book out many months in advance). Fortunately, reservation scalping likely won't be necessary, now that owner Earl Ninsom and St. Jack bartender Alan Akwai have announced a new restaurant, Hat Yai, which will focus on Southern Thai dishes from the city of Hat Yai.

emphasis mine, because obviously.

I'm going to Hat Yai tomorrow. I'm very excited. What should I eat? What should I avoid? Tell me about super oniony dishes (so I can avoid them).  MTIA...

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:07 AM

Hat Yai

1605 NE Killingsworth St.

Portland, OR 97211

(503) 764-9701

http://hatyaipdx.com/

The exclusive restaurant inside of PaaDee, Langbaan is so popular it could have its own reservation scalping ring (seriously, the restaurant is so hyped and delicious to book out many months in advance). Fortunately, reservation scalping likely won't be necessary, now that owner Earl Ninsom and St. Jack bartender Alan Akwai have announced a new restaurant, Hat Yai, which will focus on Southern Thai dishes from the city of Hat Yai.

emphasis mine, because obviously.

I'm going to Hat Yai tomorrow. I'm very excited. What should I eat? What should I avoid? Tell me about super oniony dishes (so I can avoid them).  MTIA...

I tried the pork w/curry and fried chicken w/curry and extra roti and everything was off-the-charts fantastic.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#3 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

Any chicken/roti/curry combo is a good start. I've loved these combos each time. I liked the braised beef cheek combo of this less than the fried chicken.

I've also really liked the ground pork, as well as the turmeric. These are pretty damn spicy, so be warned.

I've been less enthused about the short rib, the pork belly (nowhere close to the pork belly dishes at Chiang Mai), and the oxtail soup. YMMV.

#4 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

Okay, wow, I'm impressed. Way too close to my house. Way too close.  

We both ordered the strip-steak skewers. This is one order. Good but nowhere as good as the rest of the meal, and a little tough. Still, $5...

14457310_10208967949490771_7135856931969

(Photos in this post were taken by Tammi whose username I forget - but if you're an oldtimer, you might remember her)

I got a #5 combo (dark meat chix, chix wing, curry, roti, sticky rice) and an iced Thai coffee.

14520500_10208967949650775_7436022336866

My companion had the beef cheek and an iced Thai tea.

14516316_10208967950810804_4495772234768

We got there at 2 and managed to get one of the four outdoor tables. I don't know how easy that is to do if you're in at a more popular eating time.

My g-d, that chicken, wow. A non-PFGer had told me that the fried chicken had passed the overnight cold test. I'm hoping my leftover chicken will make it that long. It keeps calling my name from the refrigerator. I could also marry that roti and curry. Polygamous marriages are allowed here, aren't they?

I didn't get to steal a taste of the beef cheek, and while my companion liked it, she thought the portion was small, and the fried chix was much better. 

Iced drinks came in canning jars. Apparently beer does too. No idea about mixed drinks. I have no idea if Jill-O still comes here, but I thought I should say something. Anyways, drinks were fine. Would have loved more. 

We each got more roti, because roti. I took half the chicken home along with its sauce. I would have loved to have taken the curry home, but I had a hard enough time getting the little monkey dish/plastic tub for the ginger-soy-fish sauce.

Sticky rice, frequently my favorite part of Thai & Viet food, was underwhelming. It's just plain old sticky rice. Course, good to have a palate cleanser when everything on the plate is so rich.

Current special is a brisket in green curry. I'd love to try that. And the ground pork. And, well, everything on both sides of the menu. 

Please don't go there. Don't tell anyone. Please.

Edited by vj, 28 September 2016 - 05:43 PM.
ETA photos

#5 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

Missed this earlier.  I think the brisket with green curry and padrons (a very much recurring special - 3 out of 3 for my visits) is the best dish there, and I love the house curry very, very much.  I find all the curries to be the best things there although the ground pork dish (very spicy indeed) is also wonderful.  

Mixed drinks come in canning jars as well. 

#6 lemonpie

lemonpie
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

Had the green curry with brisket Friday night and was blown away.  It was fun watching the dish come together on the fly and very rewarding in my mouth.  It was searingly hot, complex and herbal and yet comforting. I hope they continue to riff on it throughout the winter.  The butternut squash special looked good too!