#1 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:09 PM

This is now open in Lake Oswego:

http://www.oregonliv...ake_oswego.html

I've been a few times, and I have to say I like it. It's like a cross between a Trader Joe's and a conventional Whole Foods. The inventory is threadbare compared to conventional markets, as you're only getting a few brands in terms of shelf and frozen items, and the variety is much less prolific, so it follows the Trader Joe's model in that sense.

The produce section is quite small, and the veggies are exclusively in a refrigerated section on the south side of the store. Not a huge variety, but all the essentials are there. The prices are much lower than Whole Foods, and I would say they are on par (if not cheaper in many instances) than the Safeway up the street. Decent produce, too. Like Trader Joe's, nearly all produce is served a la carte, rather than per pound. An exception are the fresh herbs, and other specialty items. So things like onions and potatoes are priced individually, like 40 cent for a russet potato and 50 cents per walla walla onion. The couple onions I got were like over a pound each, so it pays obviously to go big.

Another instance where price ambiguity is assuaged is in the salad and hot bars. The prices is by container volume, not by pound. There are 3 sizes of containers - 8 ounce, 16 ounce, and 24 ounce. They are $5.99, $7.49, and $9.99, respectively (I think). No matter the item, as long as you can close the top, you can cram whatever in there. This has a palliative mental effect on potential sticker shock when heaping on items for a salad, or getting a small container of rope vieja or chicken tikka masala (both items show up daily on the hot bar).

They rep their 365 brand everywhere. I find this to be quite a decent brand, especially for a house brand. Perfectly acceptable (though mild and a bit underseasoned) for chips, salsa, hot dog buns.

There is no deli, no fish or meat station. Meat and seafood is cryovaced and priced either per pound or per item. Limited selection but good enough. Lots of takeout/quick make-at-home items that are prepped in the back of the store by a staff that seems quite busy. That back of the store is fronted by a large window where you can see the action, and there's a window with a small tablet kiosk (and more kiosks throughout the store) where you can place orders for $6 hot dogs (like banh mi and new york dogs), $8 rice bowls, and large pizzas that start at $10 and top out at $13.

Decent prices on beer and wine.

As soon as you enter the store there's a juice bar. The vegan burger joint Next Level Burger is just beyond the checkout counters.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#2 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Nice report. Did you happen to encounter the "Tea Robot"? I'd go just for that.

#3 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

I have seen the Tea Robot, but haven't interacted as I'm afraid generally of things that might become self-aware.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin