Tamale Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

I was gifted some homemade chicken tamales recently, and though very tasty, they have rather large bones inside as well. I think they are too large to have been included mistakenly, (one as large as a full thighbone) so is this a style I've never experienced or perhaps a drunken cook? (said in the most appreciative way) :)

#2 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

I've been waiting for someone with a bit more knowledge than myself to take a bite at this, but alas no one's hungry.

After a cursory Google search, it appears bone-in tamales are a thing (especially in Central and South America vs Mexico). The reason sources cite is that the bone helps retain moisture. If, however, the bones are small, chopped slivers and whatnot, that's a result of laziness. Personally, I prefer no bones in any foodstuff that's encased in bread, tortillas, crust, or masa.

#3 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Crepeguy. My search mostly resulted in complaints of small bones left unintentionally. Adding Central American to the search helped find more info.

After 70 views with no replies I figured it's not something served here in our area. Perhaps when Nick makes his way to the forums he'll add a little firsthand knowledge. 

#4 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

After 70 views with no replies I figured it's not something served here in our area. 

I would imagine that including bones in a tamale would be a huge liability issue.