Photo

What's your favorite new place (in the last 12 months)?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:09 PM

Really enjoyed Revelry. Had meant to post a review but life gets in the way. We've been to the other restaurants in Seattle and were anxiously awaiting our local version so I'm biased. I'll definitely be going back. 

Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#22 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

Need to amend my initial report on Honky Tonk Taco. We went back a couple of weeks later and it was just not good. All of the taco meats were massively greasy, leaving huge pools of grease on the plate. I have a fairly high tolerance for that and it was almost inedible.  And the quesadilla was odd. The flavor was ok at first, but the cheese quickly cooled and congealed, making it a thick, dense mass. They use 100% oaxaca cheese and that may be the culprit. 

I'm going to give them time before returning and hoe they can get things fixed.

Edited by Kernel, 06 October 2016 - 02:51 PM.

#23 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

Need to amend my initial report on Honky Tonk Taco. We went back a couple of weeks later and it was just not good. All of the taco meats were massively greasy, leaving huge pools of grease on the plate. I have a fairly high tolerance for that and it was almost inedible.  And the quesadilla was odd. The flavor was ok at first, but the cheese quickly cooled and congealed, making it a thick, dense mass. They use 100% oaxaca cheese and that may be the culprit. 

Speaking of Honky Tonk, looks like it's already closed. Didn't even make it 3 months.

http://www.oregonliv...honky_tonk.html

#24 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:31 AM

my one visit to headwaters was very good. I can recommend the salmon roe ($4!) the Black Cod in papillote with accompanying intense saffron sauce and the seared salmon with an amazing squid carbonara. I walked by last night, a Tuesday, and they were packed at 7 pm. There's a bar, a raw bar and a dining room. Rather than other "fish" places close by like Ringside or Southpark, I see their competition on the level of Higgins-- given the largest of the entrees are in the mid $30 range and there will be a strong pre-show crowd. There are lower price points in the raw section and appetizers, so I could see happy hour being popular but I'm not an expert in downtown demographics.  Personally, I'm excited to go back.

#25 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

Speaking of Honky Tonk, looks like it's already closed. Didn't even make it 3 months.

Perhaps we've reached peak Portland. A contraction is due.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#26 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

Perhaps we've reached peak Portland. A contraction is due.

The amount of press and hype and whatnot on this place was amazing, only to have it close in under three months. I know this is a community that prides itself on collaboration, but I think the phrase "too many cooks in the kitchen" may apply in this situation. And what ever happened to that lamb roasting pit? God, I was looking forward to that. 

Not to be a negative ninny (of which I have been of late), but with all of these "highly anticipated" openings this Fall, most will fail in under a year. There's only so much love that can go around. 

#27 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

Most of this seems to me to be the Portland digerati falling over themselves to crown the Next Big Thing, in order to validate their own Instagram culture. It adds undue pressure upon an industry that is notoriously fickle and driven by the capricious whims of human behavior, that operates on the slightest of margins. Its generals and foot soldiers alike make very little salary in relation to the scrutiny imposed by so many scenesters and taste makers.

It's all a little gross.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#28 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

Re: Honky Tonk - I'm not sure it's as much a bellwether as it is a reminder that Division is now a deathtrap. Loon just closed, and its pretensions ran along the lines of 'not ridiculous place to drink mid-Division'. https://www.yelp.com...loon-portland-2

Honky Tonk seemed like almost like a taunt.

#29 nomnom

nomnom
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

I like Jacqueline on SE Clinton and 21st in the old St. Jack space. Admittedly I have only been once and it is in my hood so it earns extra points for convenience but food and service were spot on.