3 replies to this topic

#1 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

http://www.tampabay....le/restaurants/

My conclusion? Just about everyone tells tales. Sometimes they are whoppers, sometimes they are fibs borne of negligence or ignorance, and sometimes they are nearly harmless omissions or “greenwashing.”

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#2 vj

vj
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:07 AM

Yep. Sounds about right.

#3 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:49 AM

Great long read, but it's not surprising at all.    Thanks for the link.

#4 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:32 PM

These local lies are all true. But let's be honest, who's truly to blame? Almost every day someone asks me for fresh strawberries. Some people actually get belligerent when I explain they're not in season. During the summer people always ask if the strawberries are local. By the end of the summer, I just end up macerating the whole lot anyways.

In our former location in Northern New England we had all these restaurants claiming to be local "whenever possible." Those two words should be the red flag: whenever possible--especially in an area of the country that has such a short growing season. We participated in a winter farmers market one season. I saw over 1/2 of the prepared food purveyors for the market buying their produce at BJ's (like Costco). It was easier to score illegal drugs than get a local farmer to sell you his produce wholesale. True nightmare, having to drive 20 miles for wormy apples and subpar produce. Better off going to Market Basket (think a sub-par Safeway with much better prices). Most of the high end places that really did source locally went out of business because the average consumer wasn't wiling to pay a premium. We did get premium maple syrup though.