• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

This cool little bar sits on the east side of the bustling stretch of 28th, north of Burnside. Small tables flank a U-bar in the center of the space, and the wraparound bar itself seats around 14 or so if I guessed. It seems fairly popular, though I've only been only on weekend nights.There's always a line, but I've been able to squeeze into an odd number stool at the bar when riding solo.

This is a cocktail establishment first and foremost. No beer on taps, but they have a nicely curated rotating bottle selection (had a La Chouffe one night, Pfriem beers other times). I come here for the steak tartare, paired with a beer. It is one of the better version in town in my opinion. It arrives entirely deconstructed, and you mix all components quickly and spread piquant raw beef goodness over the toast points served with the mise en place.

11326468_1457314214580602_1284459584_n.j

All the components are nicely apportioned and seemingly very high quality, including the raw beef. There's an oyster add-on that really does take it to next-level tartare. Salty and briny micro-bursts of flavor when mixed properly.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#2 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for the update. I haven't been back in since Timmy D and Kelley Swenson left. How are the cocktails?

#3 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:10 AM

I'm not into Prohibition cosplay so I'm not a good person to answer this, but they appear to be made with ingredients using methods.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

By way of posting the address and hours. Here is the review from Willamette Week

Angel Face

14 NE 28th Ave., 239-3804. 5 pm-midnight Sunday-Thursday, 5 pm-1 am Friday-Saturday.

Angel Face is precious. The food is little and lovely from oyster to meurette—not surprising, since it’s a product of Navarre and Luce’s owners—the “wallpaper” turns out to be meticulously hand-painted, and the cocktail menu is trapped somewhere inside bar manager Kelley Swenson’s head. It’s a neat little negotiation wherein you say something terribly douchey like “I want something gin, but savory?” and he humors you with a lovely improvisation. The niceties seem almost destined to make the just-opened bar into a bit of an insiders’ club, a place that comes with an admission price of slight bewilderment, but Swenson is an enthusiastic and friendly enough drink ambassador that the process is painless. Still, it’s kind of like being inside a luxury pillbox. MATTHEW KORFHAGE.

Overall, I prefer polloelastico's review and comment. 

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Though based on experience with his other two spots, Korfhage's may be accurate.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:08 PM

You don't have to do the bespoke drink thing if you don't want to. They can make you a perfectly good manhattan, gin and tonic, old fashioned, etc.