Loyal Legion

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

It's open. The OP sausages are excellent and the smell of them with Sauerkraut is intoxicating even before the beers come out. I recommend getting your sausage in broth with potatoes are the pretzel bun is too hard to hold the sausage. maybe if you cut it lengthwise you could get it to hold inside but I could not.

The burger is a good value at $6, with hints of Special Sauce, iirc. it's been a while since I've had a fast food burger. I ordered it rare and it was medium rare. Generally, I thought the food was standout for the albeit low water benchmark of American beer hall food.

The beer list is good but they aren't numbered chronologically so you need to write down the name of your beer on your taster tray doily, not just the number. Especially after a couple beers, you'll have the darndest time finding which beer you're having if you just recorded the number.

The beers are all the same price by the glass, but they vary the size of the glass, regardless of whether that's the right beer for that glass. I could see a beer geek being annoyed by this.

If you do the taster tray, the beers are the same size but the price is unknown. I don't know if that's the long term plan though.

It's cash only right now and no receipts so you have no idea if they charged you correctly.

Also, I'm fascinated by the no tipping plan. I'll be interested to see if it affects service as it reduces incentive to provide excellent service. I couldn't determine if my experience was due to new restaurant or the compensation model.

If I wanted beer and food I'd go here, if I wanted just beer, I'd go to Horse Brass, Bailey's or Apex, having a better tap list for my taste that leans more one-off, barrel aged, etc. This is more Henry's than geeky, as the glasses issue foreshadowed. It's a better take on the concept than Cooper's Hall though, which I feel is even farther down market.

#2 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

705 SE 6th Avenue

Portland, Oregon 97214

Sun-Wed: 4pm-12am
Thur-Fri: 4pm-2am
Sat: 11am-2am

http://loyallegionpdx.com/

#3 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

I definitely disagree with Pwillen on a few points...the food is better than other beer places? All they offer is a burger and sausages? That makes them above average? You have got to be kidding! You would take that over the nearly full menu at the Brass? Hell, even the delivered food from Santaria at Bailey's covers more ground. sausages and a burger basically puts them in the same category as places that don't even have their own food but have a truck or a restaurant next door like Belmont Station (Italian Market) Beermongers (Fry Guy) or Apex (Los Gorditos). And a better realized concept than Coopers Hall??? Coopers Hall is unlike anything else in the country, it basically has no peer, and it definitely has more food choices than Loyal Legion. There are quite a few beer places around that have nearly 100 beers, in fact there's at least two more in Portland with more varied food options!

I think Loyal Legion is decidedly mediocre and unnecessary.

#4 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:27 AM

Perkeo, have you been to Loyal Legion?

#5 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

Menu volume doesn't equate to quality for me. I can only eat a few things at once so I'm happy with a limited and well executed menu, especially over having to walk somewhere else to get my food to bring it over. OP makes great sausages.

We'll have to disagree on Cooper's Hall. I don't see a wine aficionado ever going there whereas a beer aficionado might really enjoy Loyal Legion. Cooper's Hall ferments and holds wine at room temperature, then dispenses it through tap lines pretty quickly after kegging. None of that is a recipe for good wine. full stop.  

#6 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:38 PM

I think you have a fairly simplisitic view of the wine making process at Cooper's Hall...I'll basically leave it at that, adding only that I'm pretty sure I've seen glycol chillers there. On top of that, less than half of the draft wine selection is actually made there, with some other well respected wineries represented like J. Christopher. I am both a wine and beer aficianado and I like Cooper's Hall just fine so, there goes that theory!
I also don't consider a few sausages and a burger a "well executed menu". OP sausages are good but they're available at a fair number of places around town...nothing all that special about featuring them these days.

#7 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:49 PM

I definitely disagree with Pwillen on a few points...the food is better than other beer places? All they offer is a burger and sausages? That makes them above average? You have got to be kidding! You would take that over the nearly full menu at the Brass? Hell, even the delivered food from Santaria at Bailey's covers more ground. sausages and a burger basically puts them in the same category as places that don't even have their own food but have a truck or a restaurant next door like Belmont Station (Italian Market) Beermongers (Fry Guy) or Apex (Los Gorditos). And a better realized concept than Coopers Hall??? Coopers Hall is unlike anything else in the country, it basically has no peer, and it definitely has more food choices than Loyal Legion. There are quite a few beer places around that have nearly 100 beers, in fact there's at least two more in Portland with more varied food options!

I think Loyal Legion is decidedly mediocre and unnecessary.

I think the concept is brilliant. They have the largest selection of Oregon craft beers on tap--every single beer is from Oregon. Who else has that? And they offer burgers, and sausages. What more do you need? Even so, the sole purpose of the place is to move beer/liquor (the food is secondary). Have you ever been to Pröst? They currently serve more beer than any other place in the city (this according to reliable sources), yet their menu is meh. At least Loyal Legion sources their sausages from a quality, local source. 

#8 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

I'm looking forward to checking this out, but the website certainly raises some concerns. As a dedicated beer geek/snob, I love that they're taking care of their lines, something that is an underrated problem when running a huge number of taps like this. But I'm worried about their bragging that all of their beer is served at 38 degrees. That is WAY to cold for many styles of beer. It's like bragging about how warm you serve your sake. Sure, if you're just drinking a lager, that's a fine temp, but even their extensive collection of IPAs should be served warmer than that, to say nothing of the Belgian styles or some of the darker options. The list is certainly interesting, though it's a little surprising to see some glaring holes in such an extensive list. Maybe instead of that 25th IPA they might've found room for a nice dubbel or abbey ale. Or a trippel. The decision to only sell Oregon beer is possibly a questionable one for this reason, but you can find local folks doing these styles if you work at it. Still, a lot of good stuff worth exploring. And I think the food options sound nice. I kind of like the simplicity (assuming the pretzel rolls and broth are well done) and beer and sausage is a pretty unbeatable combo.

#9 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:32 AM

Nate,

Here's a sample beer list. Note there are a half dozen Belgian inspired beers and it isn't an IPA fest (a concern i shared too). My understanding of the Super Cold method is it's just that one section of the menu (SuperCold) and the beers arne't stored at that temp, they are just passed through a chiller, so you're not killing the aroma. Shouldn't take too long for it to warm up to temp and you can follow along as it evovles. I'm more concerned about the keg cost dictating glass shape.

Beer-Menu-at-Loyal-Legion-Page-1-768x102

Beer-Menu-at-Loyal-Legion-Page-2-768x102

#10 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

It's encouraging to see that extra-cold section. As long as the smaller glasses are goblets and tulips I probably won't mind the glasses thing. Not that different from what other places do with bigger beers. I still think 20+ IPAs is excessive and that Belgian section is pretty anemic, but overall looks like a place I'm eager to check out.

#11 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

I'm with you on the IPA thing, but apparently people fucking love them for some stupid reason.    Hard to bitch about what sells.

#12 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

I love all beers and this place has a lot of them and during a hot summer ride on my bicycle the "Super Cold" section is much appreciated. There are seats, and bars, and tables, and other people there, if that's your thing.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#13 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

Good burger, good beer, the super cold is in fact super cold.    I can attest to rubberchicken's observation that there is, indeed, seats, people and tables.

BTW, they don't do tabs, you pay as you go.. it's kinda weird honestly.    Pay for your beer, pay for your burger, pay for your beer.    No tip thing feels odd still.

#14 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:28 AM

have they got a receipt system set up yet or is it still a mystery if they've charged you correctly?

I worry they are testing too many variables at once. What if it fails because of the no tab thing but the no tips was actually working. Failure could discourage others from innovating.

#15 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:48 AM

I had exact change cash and paid for each beer, $6 each time, was easy, no receipts. Granted, this was late Saturday afternoon (but there was still a sizable crowd considering - some sort of whimsical birthday group bike event happening), and I was solo (was taking up a window table and went to the bar each time). I can see it being sort of a madhouse on a packed weekend night, especially if you're ordering food.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#16 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

We weren't offered a receipt, fyi.

#17 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

Three words: Crux on Nitro!

I really liked the sausage array and the in-a-bowl option with kraut/onions and boiled (steamed?) fingerling potatoes - $5.

Don't understand the Happy Hour thing. 

Don't understand the no receipt.

What are those round pieces of paper I kept seeing people on both sides of the counter, studying? Star charts, maybe?

The menu layout was somewhat mystifying but I can't speak to that too critically because I lost my glasses so couldn't really read it anyway.

Per above, I REALLY appreciated the tablets on which I COULD read about the beer.

I had a fun time and liked the vibe of the place. 

It will be interesting to see how the whole pay scale thing shakes out for them. I heard Kurt speak very cogently on the subject on OPB. Nick chimed in on the discussion too. Am I right in understanding that if a restaurant imposes a set gratuity, that said gratuity can be split however the restaurant sees fit? Or at least, that it can be split by some formula? If so, that seems like the obvious and easiest way to address the inequity.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#18 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

What is the "Happy Hour thing"

#19 Jeff

Jeff
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:53 PM

What is the "Happy Hour thing"

The menu says that Happy hour is from open to 10PM. All beers $6. After 10PM, $7.  Seems like word trickery BS where you make the customer feel like they're getting a special deal or something. 

It's a late night tax I guess.

#20 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

The menu says that Happy hour is from open to 10PM. All beers $6. After 10PM, $7.  Seems like word trickery BS where you make the customer feel like they're getting a special deal or something. 

It's a late night tax I guess.

lol that's definitely some ridiculous shit right there. Who can say no to $7 late night pints?

Sassy's happy hour is still undefeated, for reference.