• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

Hola,

I've been after fish tacos lately and a buddy of mine recommended this place. It was a good recommendation, although it wasn't what I initially had in mind.

I've recently had a hankering for the battered/fried style fish tacos. My friend said Fishbox had the best fish taco he'd had, and I was recently back in SE for a time. Instead of the fried version these were a ceviche presentation (ahi tuna marinated in rice wine vinegar and siracha) on top of cabbage, covered with a wasabi-crema on a commercial tortilla. The fish was super fresh and very clean. Actually, all of the flavors were fresh and clean. It was delicious. It was an affordable thrill too, at $7 for 2 tacos. They had some legitimate spicy heat too, although it was more of the short-burn of wasabi heat. Good stuff.

They had other menu options, but I was there for fish tacos. They were the most unique fish tacos I have had. I guess with the "Korean food in Mexican format" trend it was inevitable that someone would combine sushi flavors with tacos, but this one was executed with some skill and attention. This is more of a "seafood" cart than a "taco" cart, but they put out a good fish taco. Unorthodox, but super tasty. Nice folks too.

They're currently in the "Good Food Here" pod at SE 42nd + Division. It was really good, unique food served at a reasonable price without any pretension. If you've lost faith in food carts this one may help bring it back around.

¡Buen provecho!

#2 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

Co-foodie likes the Fishbox fish tacos also. It's been awhile since we've been there and it sounds like he's still producing quality product.

I wonder if Robo Taco or La Bonita might offer the battered fish taco you're looking for.

#3 austinhaas

austinhaas
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Their salmon sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches.

It's worth adding the $1 side salad, too, although the dressing is a bit spicy.

#4 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

I just can't bring myself to eat tacos made with crappy commercial tortillas. There are too many great places out there taking the time to make them fresh (or at least get them from somewhere that makes them well enough that I can't tell the difference). Nothing ruins an otherwise delicious taco faster than a dry, gritty, mass-produced tortilla that falls apart the moment I pick it up.

Oh, and San Felipe in West Moreland does great battered fish tacos on hand-made tortillas (they certainly appear to be pressed rather than hand-patted, but I'm not going to be pedantic).

#5 vj

vj
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

I like Fishbox, too. Had a very similar experience to what Nacho Borracho wrote up. Man, I'd like one of those right now.

I didn't think the tortillas were awful, btw, though I wasn't focusing on the tortilla. Just not hand-patted, etc. It seemed about the quality of the fresh tortillas at De Leon -- commercial, but good texture and flavor.