Coquine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:03 PM

Now open in the old Songbird location. I went to a soft open a couple weeks back and everything was quite good, though I don't have any notes to post. As of last night, it's now open for dinner, with morning and afternoon hours coming in August.

6839 SE Belmont Street
Portland, OR 97215

Wed - Sun:
Breakfast/Lunch: 8AM to 3:30PM
Dinner: 5PM to 10PM

http://www.coquinepdx.com/

#2 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:16 AM

If you're very into wine, you may have noticed in the press pics they have wine stored above their coffee machines where it could get cooked. I checked with them and that was just for pictures -- they will be storing their wine in a wine fridge.

#3 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

Original post amended to reflect full hours. Had a buttermilk buckwheat biscuit as a morning snack today. Nice crisp crust with the buckwheat lending density and an earthy flavor. Came with a lovely house butter mixed with thyme, honey, and coarse salt. I'd definitely get it again. Full range of coffee, espresso, and teas available. I'm really liking this place so far.

#4 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

First visit a couple of weeks ago, so my recollection won't be detailed . It's a small place with plenty of street parking in their residential location.

We ordered two apps, salad, two mains, and dessert, cocktails.

We started with their chickpea socca and fritters. I'd never had socca before and enjoyed their rolled, crepe-like pancake with a wonderful crispy edge and surface. The fritters were tasty served with creme fraiche.

My three bite crab salad was delicious, with good balance of tangy and sweet.

My dining guest ordered the milk braised ground pork sugo. I didn't get a taste but he said it was good. My three small ribs of coffee cured lamb were perfectly prepared to medium rare.

For dessert we had a delicate and delicious orange tart and their popular smoked almond, salted caramel, chocolate chip cookie. My taste buds could only detect barely a hint of smoke from the almonds and salted caramel and overall a nice cookie.

My impression of this visit is that everything was prepared well and as it should be prepared. Service was very good, from service refolding my napkin when I briefly left the table to changing out plates during courses.

However, it's pricey considering the dainty portions of each course. Therefore, it will be a special occasion place for me.

#5 JimProuty

JimProuty
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

Went a week or so ago for the first time (it is *difficult* to get a reservation), and thoroughly enjoyed everything about Cocquine: the friendly service and absolutely excellent food. For me, the best meal out I've had in a year, including El Gaucho in PDX and Commander's Palace in NOLA.

How weird is it that the standout dish for me was a salad: Roasted carrots with fresh sheep's cheese, toasted cashews, barley malt, oats and cocoa nibs. $12. Sounds weird, but freshness of the flavors was off the charts.

My other dish (regularly on the menu) was also exceptional: Girella Pasta with milk braised pork sugo, fennel, crispy sunchokes and Parmesan. $24

I don't think the prices are excessive in any way: $38 for rack of lamb is pretty standard these days.

My dining companion was equally effusive; we'll be back.