Photo

What is the best Vietnamese restaurant in Portland?

Vietnam Food Fix ASAP

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Piper

Piper
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

I have a pregnant 'foodie' friend who is craving GOOD Vietnamese food.   Go figure?    I need your opinion on where the best place in town is.   It doesn't matter where....we're willing to drive.

Thanks so much for your help.

#2 Piper

Piper
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

A co-worker suggested Pho Oregon.    What are your thoughts?   The name alone makes me hesitant.

#3 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:03 PM

I like Ha+VL for the crab flake and pork pepper ball soups.

I like Pho An Sandy for their all-around menu. Some of the best pho in town plus they do a nice job on the rest of their dishes.

I like Bun Bo Hue for their bun bo hue.

Pho Oregon does have really nice pho, but not a lot else is notable on their menu.

#4 austinhaas

austinhaas
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

Pho Corner (on Sandy, just a block or two SW of Pho An, same side of the street) has been my favorite Vietnamese/pho shop since it opened last summer.

http://www.phocorner.com/

#5 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:11 PM

The banh khot at Nam Loc Deli on 82nd is really magnificent.

Mr Taster

#6 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

Second on Pho An, especially because of their fantastic herb plate.  I love the Banh Hoi Dac Biet Traditional Dish especially, but solid everywhere so far for me. 

#7 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

Depends if you just want pho, or something else.. but Pho An Sandy is pretty legit all-around.

HA/VL is really just soups and sandwhichs (bahn mi)... but if she's craving soup.. that's my favorite soup.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

Pho Oregon if you've got more than 3 or 4 people.  Pho An Sandy if you don't.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 Piper

Piper
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

You all have been AWESOME!!   I'm going for Pho An Sandy tomorrow; but I'm going to make note of a couple others you all wrote about and try them another time. Thank you!

#10 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

Pho Nguyen in Raleigh Hills is a good bet for standards.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#11 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

Bonsoir,

Ça va?

It hasn't been mentioned here yet, but my personal favorite Vietnamese restaurant around here is Lêla's Bistro (1524 NW 23rd). There are places with bigger menus, bigger portions, and/or whatever runs to one's personal tastes in Vietnamese food, but this is my favorite.

I really like the place. I feel very comfortable here and I like their food. They have 2 generally solid beers on tap and it's a really nice space. Parking that far down 23rd is generally easy to find (for now) and free (for now)...2 big pluses for the west side of the Willamette.

The table on the porch may be some of the best outdoor eating/drinking in the area. The indoor seating is comfortable as well. I like the food too. It's a nice spot for a date or to meet up with friends. It's my favorite Vietnamese place around here. It's very cool.

Bon appétite!

#12 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:34 AM

Good rec Nacho. Lela's uses top shelf ingredients and while to some their approach may be a bit of "gentrified" take on Vietnamese, it doesn't forsake flavor. Many items from Jade's Bistro/Teahouse in Sellwood also fit this bill.

If you want some good, pre-packaged items to-go for eating at home, I would recommend the deli at Hung Phat market on 82nd/Stark, and anything at Binh Minh sandwiches.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#13 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

I would recommend the deli at Hung Phat market on 82nd/Stark, and anything at Binh Minh sandwiches.

Are you talking about Hong Phat at 82nd and E Burnside? If so, I second it and the recommendation for Binh Minh.

#14 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:14 PM

i'm a big fan of vermicelli bowls, and the mi quang at pho van.  Bambuza does a decent mi quang (tumeric rice noodle soup) as well.  

Pho has kinda gone downhill for me over the years in this town.  Stay away from Luc Lac.  I remember "fish sauce" being decent but I haven't had a chance to work through their menu yet.  

#15 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

Good rec Nacho. Lela's uses top shelf ingredients and while to some their approach may be a bit of "gentrified" take on Vietnamese, it doesn't forsake flavor. Many items from Jade's Bistro/Teahouse in Sellwood also fit this bill.

If you want some good, pre-packaged items to-go for eating at home, I would recommend the deli at Hung Phat market on 82nd/Stark, and anything at Binh Minh sandwiches.

I am interested to know what items you have tried/recommend from this deli? The place (the deli) is a bit of an impenetrable mystery to me! I got a really good version of those rice noodle-like folded things with dried shrimp in them (sorry, I don't know the names, obviously!). These were prepackaged from a table across from the part of the deli closest to the check stands. I go frequently for Cool Moon, so would love to know more about this aspect of the business.

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#16 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

St Maximo - yes!

Eva - Try all of them. They are so cheap - single serves are $2.75-$3.50. If you ever had banh cuon (which Hung Phat's to-go containers contain enough actually for 3 meals), most are essentially variations on that theme. The banh cuon are the pork and woodear mushroom filled rice flour "cannelloni", and banh uot, which are similar but with less filling and are meant to be topped with lots of thinly sliced cha lua (vietnamese charctuterie/bolagna). Hung Phat makes their own cha lua, including an excellent peppered version, that they sell for $5.99 for a one pound loaf. Some weekends I will pick up one of these, a $5 package of banh cuon/banh uot, and 5 pack of Ax Xuyen baguettes ($2.50), some jalapeños, persian cukes, cilantro, and mints from the produce section ($~3) and literally eat 3 meals and 5 sandwiches for days. 

#17 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

Here's an example of the to-go items you'll find at Hong Phat. 

1171086_716206621724484_45239539_n.jpg

There's these single serves, which vary depending on the day of the week and the time of day. They usually start coming out around 10 am or so. Like mentioned previously, they are mostly variations on a theme - rice paper outer, meat/veg fillings. You really can't go wrong - they include a small ramekin of nuoc cham (it's pretty milquetoast to not offend, you'll probably want to spike it with something like Huy Fong's sambal oelek or a similar chunky/whole seed chili and garlic paste). Some things you'll probably like more than others of course (Googling item names from the packaging will give you a good indication of what you're generally in for).

Across the aisle with the cha lua tubes you'll find the larger to-go containers with banh cuon, usually $5.50 or so and literally enough for 3 meals. 

10544208_270111123113215_570424645_n.jpg

I gussy them up at home with herbs, lettuce, and cucumber (and sliced cha lua). These containers contain fried shallots even for a final touch.

Like I also mentioned, the cha lua/charcuterie here is top notch (I've been buying their stuff pretty exclusively since 2004 when I shopped at their Prescott location when I lived in NE Portland).

10881993_389859264515809_1564175272_n.jp

Here's the sandwiches I eat (using their cha lua) over the course of 2-3 days after a successful Hong Phat run.

#18 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the write-up and picts!!

Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#19 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Here's the sandwiches I eat (using their cha lua) over the course of 2-3 days after a successful Hong Phat run.

That sandwich looks dope. Homemade? What is that bread?? Looks like the tail of a tuna!

EDIT: I see above you mention An Xuyen, I remember them being great, just not looking like that!

tuna_yellowfin.png

(modern signature COMING SOON)