Photo

MEET BBQ Closing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:55 PM

John Wysong, owner and chef @ Meet BBQ at the Mississippi Marketplace pod told me today he's closing. This is the last week he'll be open. He makes the best smoked brisket in town. Yes that statement reads like a Yelp review. It's only my opinion--but there you have it, take it for what it's worth.

This Sunday 6/21 (Father's Day) is his last day. So this is your last chance for great BBQ. My advice is to get there now!

18915195276_1151f3f9cc_z.jpg

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:56 PM

Wait.  How can it both be the best brisket and KC style? ;-) 

That's too bad that he's not doing well enough to stay open through, what I imagine, would be his busier time of the year.  I'll try to get some before he goes.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:30 AM

Wait.  How can it both be the best brisket and KC style? ;-) 

That's too bad that he's not doing well enough to stay open through, what I imagine, would be his busier time of the year.  I'll try to get some before he goes.

I cannot attest to the style, but I can attest to the taste. Honestly, your comment reminds me a little bit of our friend, Mr Taster. ;-)

His pulled pork is tasty as well (though it's not pulled/shredded in a traditional sense).

I think the closure may be more of a lifestyle choice, but I can say he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. There's a cart in the same pod that sells crappy $5 overstuffed gyros that seems to do quite well. 

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:11 PM

I stopped in today and got some ribs and brisket. The brisket was as good as any I've had in PDX. The ribs were a bit above average, but perhaps not as good as Podnah's.

Nice guy. He said he'd just turned 60 and was tired of pouring money down a cart hole. He's going back to work in construction to make some money so he can retire.

I'm sorry I didn't discover the place sooner.

#5 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:09 PM

I've never tried his ribs. Come to think of it, I didn't even try his pulled pork until a month ago. It's always been about the brisket for me. I know he ran out of the pulled pork today because I grabbed the last two sandwiches this afternoon. Lots of bark--but still tender, with good smoke flavor. Barely any fat, but still moist. I'm crushed he's shutting down. He's a really nice guy.

I hope he gets a good turnout the next few days. He's passionate about his product, and once it's gone, it's gone.