Diner 2015

#2 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

Diner 2015 is out.

Restaurant of the Year (given to a restaurant that's been only open 1/50th of a year)

http://www.oregonliv...ncart_big-photo

Rising Star (given to a restaurant that's been open nearly 2000% longer than Restaurant of the Year)

Cuisine of the Year (given to a restaurant, not a cuisine)

The Derp is strong with this one.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#3 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

Wow. Wow. What? the? hell? A restaurant is a cuisine? Etc. 

(don't mind me, I just going to be sputtering away over here in the corner)

#4 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:48 PM

https://twitter.com/...445881896747010

Accusations of "hyperbole" from somebody who just awarded Restaurant of the Year to a restaurant open for a few weeks. It's almost like this person lacks self awareness.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, that restaurant as cuisine thing was just funny.  If you're honoring a cuisine, unless you mean it in the French sense of a kitchen, shouldn't it be for multiple places?  Or at least make it "Mexican" and then use Xico as the exemplar?

The choice of Renata is just another example of the sad state of things at the Oregonian. Gotta be first!

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

If you go through the slideshow of restaurants.. Renata also is the 11th best restaurant in Portland.

Because apparent being the best restaurant (Le Pigeon) doesn't mean you are Restaurant of the Year... it just means you are #1.. but #11 is ROY.

Makes total sense, right?

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:46 PM

If you go through the slideshow of restaurants.. Renata also is the 11th best restaurant in Portland.

Because apparent being the best restaurant (Le Pigeon) doesn't mean you are Restaurant of the Year... it just means you are #1.. but #11 is ROY.

Makes total sense, right?

It could make sense.  It made more sense last year when they chose "pop-ups".  Otherwise, you might give ROY to the same restaurant several years in a row that is arguably the best.  But taken with some thoughtfulness, ROY can represent a trend or a thematic choice that says something larger about the Portland dining scene, etc.  Meanwhile, that ROY might not be the best restaurant.

Okay, fine.  But 1) the article on Renata does little, if any, of this contextualizing. It reads like an extended PR piece.  2) While I haven't eaten there, I don't see any evidence that Renata is doing anything not already rather common in Portland. "Flour + Water Portland" as joked in the article?  Okay, but Flour + Water was just an A16 knockoff, right?  And we've been seeing that in Portland for a while now. (And while I liked Flour + Water plenty, it wasn't any better than the similar places here.) 3) Most readers are going to interpret ROY as, if not best, then at least one of the best, restaurants, something you just can't know 3 weeks in.  And that's not unreasonable of them.  While certainly what trends it might exemplify can be important, you still expect a certain level of greatness for something given the publication's most prestigious restaurant award. 

I really think this is about Michael Russell wanting to be first.  He wants to surprise people and say, look, this place is awesome and I was the first to say so. It's another part of the trap I think has hurt Karen Brooks' food writing/editing.  She always wants to be on the fore-front of a trend.  (And then goes about milking that much much too long.)  I think it's a mistake, too, because it lowers professional food writing to blog/social media/yelp status. Also, Michael Russell has shown himself to be very concerned with quid pro quo and scratching the backs of those who scratch his.  It wouldn't surprise me to find out they kissed his ass a lot, which is what they are expected to do.  However, a professional journalist should be more circumspect.  I really don't think this stuff helps him in the long run.  Maybe they get more people talking, more clicks on the article, etc, in the short term.  But I think it weakens their credibility and makes them seem no better than the free media.  Being Buzzfeed or Thrillist does not do anything for the long term health of journalism.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

I just found in another article, linked to in the comments by Mr.MR himself some context:

Our Restaurant of the Year, in addition to being very new itself, brings a fresh approach to the city's dining scene -- fine service, a stunning room and a half-dozen pastas that will make you swoon.

So the fresh approach is this "stunning" room...

Avila_Renata-6616.0.jpg

...that could be 50 other restaurants in Portland.

It's also "new" for Portland in that it has a half dozen pastas!  Because, you know, places like Tabla or Clarklewis have only been around for a dozen years or so, putting out excellent hand-made pastas. Hell, if a half-dozen pastas that will make you swoon is all it takes, make Grassa the ROY.

Oh, but the service, at another level.  Or some such.  After a month of being open.  With this article probably being written after two weeks of being open.  Paul Willenberg (pwillen) and Kurt Huffman stood up for Michael Russell's integrity on Facebook.  I call bullshit.  Sorry, this isn't just a question of opinion whether this restaurant is better than some other restaurant and he just made a questionable choice.  That's the rest of the list.  This choice does not show a person maintaining strong principles.  It shows someone violating professional standards in the name of being a trend-setter and/or buying what the PR team is selling.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:26 PM

I like this piece.  WW talks to a bunch of restaurant people anonymously about the choice. What's interesting is how unified the ideas are despite being asked separately about it.  There are some great points in there.

http://www.wweek.com...just_two_w.html

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:14 AM

thanks for the link Nick. I liked the first two perspectives.

One point of clarification: I wasn't defending his integrity, just saying I don't think it was a question of integrity. For me, poor judgment and dishonesty are different as the latter's intentional.

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:03 AM

thanks for the link Nick. I liked the first two perspectives.

One point of clarification: I wasn't defending his integrity, just saying I don't think it was a question of integrity. For me, poor judgment and dishonesty are different as the latter's intentional.

I don't think it's mere poor judgment.  And I don't think integrity is just a question of honesty.  I think it's as much about having standards and principles. 

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#12 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

...there are still details to be figured out. The pizzas are good, though not yet among Portland's best. The mains feature intensely good Oregon ingredients, but still feel overthought. And they're still navigating how and when to use the hearth and next-door pizza oven.

This is from the article he is pointing out everyone should read in order to understand his justifications. I mean, how can you claim a restaurant is still learning how to use its own equipment and then breathlessly and actively crown it Restaurant of the Year?

#13 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Well, to be honest they aren't writing this for people like us.

We aren't really "foodies"..  as I think overall of "foodies" being the ones who follow the trends, what's hot, what's new.. what's written up in the mags and rags.

It's more about the hype and trend than just the food.

I'm okay with that I guess.. as that audience eats it up.. and the casuals feel a part of that scene.

#14 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

Now there's a pileup of things to actively hate: http://www.wweek.com...rant_of_th.html

The O's ludicrous choice for ROY....the obvious cross-promotion that explains why they made that choice....Xico is now a cuisine....the actual O event at Renata...the above writeup of the event....Martin Cizmar's tears...

I at least enjoyed Zusman's take as properly reflecting the new level of ridiculousness in our fair city.

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

...there are still details to be figured out. The pizzas are good, though not yet among Portland's best. The mains feature intensely good Oregon ingredients, but still feel overthought. And they're still navigating how and when to use the hearth and next-door pizza oven.

This is from the article he is pointing out everyone should read in order to understand his justifications. I mean, how can you claim a restaurant is still learning how to use its own equipment and then breathlessly and actively crown it Restaurant of the Year?

if-you-ain-t-first-you-re-last-2.png

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#16 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

Now there's a pileup of things to actively hate: http://www.wweek.com...rant_of_th.html

The O's ludicrous choice for ROY....the obvious cross-promotion that explains why they made that choice....Xico is now a cuisine....the actual O event at Renata...the above writeup of the event....Martin Cizmar's tears...

I at least enjoyed Zusman's take as properly reflecting the new level of ridiculousness in our fair city.

That was pretty cringeworthy right there.

No offense, but bitching that your paper paid for the ticket when the others didn't, but were guests of the O... kinda salty right there.

Place looks and food does look great though.    

Not Renata's fault that the O is trying to play the gotta be first game.

#17 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:12 PM

My experiences have been promising, but they were slammed before this (and they were just getting their feet). This ridiculous award is very unlikely to help.