Henry's Diner

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

Been itching to try this place out in Carlton. By accident became aware of it's existence when we were wine tasting at Ken Wright and saw a flock of people across the street. Had to figure what has the hub bub about. We made a plan to have breakfast there then do a few wine tastings. Place is fantastic. As a good a breakfast as you will find anywhere, cart or restaurant it doesn't matter. 

Link to there Facebook page

https://www.facebook...rysCarltonDiner

I think they are open most days from 0800-2pm. They have their own grassy area at an intersection with several picnic tables and some are covered. They are nice enough to place crocheted blankets on the bench seats. Nice comfortable setting to sit and have breakfast. Plenty of parking. 

I had the breakfast sandwich which is one of the better versions I've had anywhere. Put it up there with the one at meat/cheese/bread. Pork roll, with potatoes, egg on sourdough. Egg cooked perfectly, nice and runny. My wife and daughter had the brioche french toast with bananas and biscuits w gravy. My kid said best french toast she's had anywhere and she's had plenty. Thought it was better than the version at tasty n alder which we love. Served on regular plates and they have stainless utensils. Nice cup of black coffee and I'm a huge coffee snob. Had a side of scrapple which nice and moist but plenty of pork flavor. I guess the chef has some east coast roots, hence, the pork roll and the scrapple. One of these days, I have to get better at taking pictures. I see the food and start devouring and midway through think "damn, forgot to take a pict or two". 

Definitely worth a drive to go there. We will be going back regularly. Given that we have a few wine club offerings to pick up each year, pretty sure we will plan on breakfast there every time. 

Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai