4 replies to this topic

#1 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

Karen Brooks seemed on on topic for a few recent threads

http://www.portlandm...uisine-may-2015

Relatively small and still primarily white, Portland doesn’t match the Eastern promise of other West Coast food metropolises. Vancouver, British Columbia, is the destination for galactic-class dim sum; San Francisco rewards ramen crawlers and boba tea hoppers; LA, where Asian cultures define entire zip codes, prompts biblical arguments over the best soup dumplings and hot pots. Portland simply lacks the essential demand-and-supply equation (large immigrant base, an influx of highly skilled immigrant chefs) that feeds such competition. In recent years, we’ve traded a faded Chinatown for a fast-growing SE 82nd Avenue Asian food community, where a chowhound can glimpse authentic greatness amid Pizza Huts and auto lots.

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

Long form Thrillist -- a master class in name-dropping. 

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:05 AM

I'm more forgiving here. The writing is enjoyable and her core readership of suburbanites, Seattleites, New Yorkers and Californians probably appreciate the name dropping as they haven't yet been to every restaurant listed like you and I have. I don't know what their circulation is but I have to imagine there are a fair number of out of town subscriptions (unlike the O) with the specific goal of dreaming about the food culture and hoping to one day visit.

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:14 AM

You could say the same about Thrillist. ;-) 

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

Karen Brooks seemed on on topic for a few recent threads

http://www.portlandm...uisine-may-2015

Relatively small and still primarily white, Portland doesn’t match the Eastern promise of other West Coast food metropolises. Vancouver, British Columbia, is the destination for galactic-class dim sum; San Francisco rewards ramen crawlers and boba tea hoppers; LA, where Asian cultures define entire zip codes, prompts biblical arguments over the best soup dumplings and hot pots. Portland simply lacks the essential demand-and-supply equation (large immigrant base, an influx of highly skilled immigrant chefs) that feeds such competition. In recent years, we’ve traded a faded Chinatown for a fast-growing SE 82nd Avenue Asian food community, where a chowhound can glimpse authentic greatness amid Pizza Huts and auto lots.

Long form Thrillist -- a master class in name-dropping. 

I think you're both right. Yes, her article does touch upon some of our recent thread topics here. And yes, it reads like a Thrillist of currently who's who in PDX. Essentially, I think she's adroit at rehashing what's already been researched and written before.