Nuvrei
404 NW 10th
Portland, OR 97209
(503) 546-8430

Hours:
Mon - Fri 7 to 4
Sat 8 to 2
Sun Closed.

At the recommendation of Sarah Hart of Alma Chocolate, I tried Nuvrei this week.

Wow! I tried their orange cinnamon swirl pastry and it was superb. Went back the next day to buy a dozen more but they were out. I’m not a big fan of scones, though theirs looked good, so I got a big chocolate cookie – moist and chewy on the inside and good chocolate flavor throughout.

The are mainly a wholesaler to coffee shops et al. around town but they have do sell a small amount right from their bakery at the address above. Note: this is NOT a cart. It took me several tries to find them because I was looking for a cart and didn’t have the exact address with me.

Highly recommended.

Edited to Add: hours, shown above.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:27 PM

I'd heard of them only in regards to wedding cakes before. I didn't realize they had a retail outlet. So what's their retail space like? Did you say a cart?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

I'd heard of them only in regards to wedding cakes before. I didn't realize they had a retail outlet. So what's their retail space like? Did you say a cart?

No, it's NOT a cart. That's why I couldn't find them before because I thought it was just a cart. It's in the basement of the building at the corner of Flanders and NW 10th.

It's just a tiny tiny retail space and they just have whatever is leftover after they've filled their wholesale orders. Plus coffee, too.

I didn't see any cakes while there, but from their web site it looks like they make some beautiful ones.

This is the real deal, folks!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#4 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging & Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

Awesome, I love carts.

#5 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:53 PM

Awesome, I love carts.

Me too. MMmmm carts with tarts. Or tarts with carts! :(

Just kidding you John. I know it's not a cart.

#6 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

Hmmm... I think this needs to go on my list. :(

#7 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

Anyone know

1) hours?

2) bran muffins?

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

Story in the Trib:

http://www.portlandt...251455750607500
Never give up! Never surrender!

#9 trio

trio
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

I am pretty sure that I read that Nuvrei is the bakery that the Moxie cart on Mississippi gets their excellent backed goods from.

#10 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:50 PM

Nothin' like good backed goods. :pirate:

#11 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

Well, I went to Nuvrei this morning and discovered a serious flaw: their production facility is not across the street from my house! :angry:

Seriously, they make some good pastries here. I got, again, the Orange-Cinnamon Swirls and they're still excellent and well balanced. Got some... I think it was a Rum Almond Swirl, very good too. And a killer Butter Croissant - buttery, flaky, just the right texture - very elegant and lovely - maybe the best in town, really!

Ok, I'm done raving... very exciting to find a place like this in Portland. :D
--------------------

#12 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:39 AM

Oh yeah, someone gave me a croissant from Nuvrei! Crispy, buttery goodness.

#13 movittles

movittles
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:39 PM

Found this place by happy accident back in Feb., saw sign on sidewalk and went down flower-filled srairs, wondered where "Nuvrei" was - then found it! Such tasty goodies! Will stop again, for sure.

#14 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

Found this place by happy accident back in Feb., saw sign on sidewalk and went down flower-filled srairs, wondered where "Nuvrei" was - then found it! Such tasty goodies! Will stop again, for sure.

Welcome to the site, movittles!
--------------------

#15 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Had a croissant from here today.

The flavor was excellent. There was a tinge of sweetness that didnt' belong on certain parts of the crust, I suspect from contact with other pastries or the stray hands of a pastry arranger. The rest of it had just enough butter without interfering with the flavor of the dough - you could taste both, and it was great.

The crust was more chewy than flaky, though - I find Pearl's to be flakier.

The crumb was a toss up in competition with pearl. I find Pearl's croissants to have a denser crumb towards the crust with big airholes in the middle. This had a semi dense crumb all around.

The flavor was definitely more enjoyable, though.

#16 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

Had a croissant from here today.

The flavor was excellent. There was a tinge of sweetness that didnt' belong on certain parts of the crust, I suspect from contact with other pastries or the stray hands of a pastry arranger. The rest of it had just enough butter without interfering with the flavor of the dough - you could taste both, and it was great.

The crust was more chewy than flaky, though - I find Pearl's to be flakier.

The crumb was a toss up in competition with pearl. I find Pearl's croissants to have a denser crumb towards the crust with big airholes in the middle. This had a semi dense crumb all around.

The flavor was definitely more enjoyable, though.

Yeah, aren't those croissants great. I love 'em!
--------------------

#17 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Have you tried the ham croissant? My lord almighty it's good.

#18 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

They only had chocolate and almond while I was in.

It was a bit unsettling when I didn't recognize a raspberry glazed pastry. It looked kind of like a fritter, but more...uh...cubic. I pointed to it and asked an employee what it was.

"Uhhh....scone?"

That's a little spooky.

#19 Piper

Piper
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

Thoughts or opinions on Nuvrei bakery on SW Arthur? Someone brought them to my attention, but I had never heard of them before. Just curious........

Thanks,

#20 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:35 AM

Nuvrei, Best PDX Bakery You've Never Heard Of

ETA: Actually, I'm not positive that this is the same place since the one I visited was at the corner of NW 10th and Flanders. I don't know if the one at SW Arthur is related.

I just called them and the answering machine says that they are located at the address I mentioned in NW...
--------------------