Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

depends

#3 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

depends

Let's each add a word and create the longest thread, ever!

My turn:

On?

:)

Mr Taster

#4 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

the question is impossibly broad. What are you interested in? what would you hope to get out of it?

also, can someone move this to the Food Events?

#5 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

the question is impossibly broad. What are you interested in? what would you hope to get out of it

This thread is captivating!

Ok, I'll start: I'm interested in cosplay sake shot girls, will any of those be there? I'd be interested in that.

#6 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

Uwajicon is June 27th at the Beaverton Uwajimaya.

#7 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

Thanks! (I'll be sure to convince my wife to let me take the day off.)

#8 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

Uwajicon scares me worse than any horror movie.

#9 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

the question is impossibly broad. What are you interested in? what would you hope to get out of it?

also, can someone move this to the Food Events?

So, it's really that big an event that it can be categorized into sub-groups?

That's actually helpful, as I really have no sense what the event is like in size, scope or impact on the Portland food scene.

I'm the noob, remember?

Mr Taster

#10 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

It's enormous. This is New York's Paean to Portland--John Cusak with a Boom Box. Every A, B and C level celebrity chef in Portland is involved in some way plus a selection of popular chefs from around the US.

Look at the names. It's a big deal.

I’d guess attendees are 25% local as opposed to most Portland fine dining on a weekend which is closer to 50% local.

I don’t think the Dinner Series are a very good value but I’m not a fan of chef mash-up dinners generally. In this case, I think they are mostly intended for Culinary Tourists so they can get a feel for Portland and another city at once on a single trip without having to go to LA, Austin AND Portland separately. Maybe that’s cynical.

The Bounty Grand Tasting is a pretty unique event where you can taste some local producers but also see some celebrities. I’d say it’s a good value.

Some of the panels have world class panelists (but I’m interested in beverages, you may not be, IDK, you wouldn’t say)

• Sour side
  • Tiny bubbles
  • Chardonnay

And I’d recommend “Candy is Magic” knowing Jami has amazing talent and a warm personality.

The Night Market is cool but it’s a shit show—overcrowded and they’ll be an enormous line for the super popular things. I’d personally skip it, but, like the sandwich invitational, if it’s important to you to see celebrity chefs, it’s a good value.

You might also consider volunteering for an event as that will get you into the scene.

#11 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

The big events kind of suck---like pwillen said, crowded and line-y. The panels or talks or whatever can be cool/good.

#12 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

Concur with pwillen and mymil. If you enjoy dropping a lot of cash to stand in ridiculously long lines for a bite of food, check out the big events. If not, I say skip them.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#13 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

Some people dig standing in lines and be in crowds.    I always like the "idea" of these events more than actually ever going to them.. I'm always left slightly disappointed... but there's a lot of big names that are going to be there.. and if that's your thing.. there's not a lot of places to experience that.

#14 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

It's enormous. This is New York's Paean to Portland--John Cusak with a Boom Box. Every A, B and C level celebrity chef in Portland is involved in some way plus a selection of popular chefs from around the US.

Look at the names. It's a big deal.

I’d guess attendees are 25% local as opposed to most Portland fine dining on a weekend which is closer to 50% local.

I don’t think the Dinner Series are a very good value but I’m not a fan of chef mash-up dinners generally. In this case, I think they are mostly intended for Culinary Tourists so they can get a feel for Portland and another city at once on a single trip without having to go to LA, Austin AND Portland separately. Maybe that’s cynical.

The Bounty Grand Tasting is a pretty unique event where you can taste some local producers but also see some celebrities. I’d say it’s a good value.

Some of the panels have world class panelists (but I’m interested in beverages, you may not be, IDK, you wouldn’t say)

• Sour side
  • Tiny bubbles
  • Chardonnay

And I’d recommend “Candy is Magic” knowing Jami has amazing talent and a warm personality.

The Night Market is cool but it’s a shit show—overcrowded and they’ll be an enormous line for the super popular things. I’d personally skip it, but, like the sandwich invitational, if it’s important to you to see celebrity chefs, it’s a good value.

You might also consider volunteering for an event as that will get you into the scene.

Thanks for this.  I had no idea Portland was ground zero for such a broadly attended event.  I appreciate your perspective.

I don't have much interest in the celebrity chef phenomenon, but I do have a great interest in hearing truly knowledgeable non-celebs speak about food.  Marion Nestle, Harold McGee, etc. People like Mario Batali who revel in the celebrity (and have the massive to match) just rub me the wrong way, despite his considerable knowledge.  I'd never go to see him speak, and I have no desire to visit his restaurants.  I'm also not a fan of standing in lines, particularly at crowded events.  I'm not 24 anymore.

In any case, thanks for the guidance.  I'll take a closer look at the event through the guidelines you've advised me on here.

Mr Taster

#15 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

June 27 is my birthday!

(Also, Ross Perot and Captain Kangaroo.  Now try to not picture them both in cosplay outfits.)

Mr Taster

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:44 PM

If you spend on VIP tickets (do they have them this year?) or can get to the big events right when they open, it's okay.  It's like Disneyland.  Get in as many bites as possible before the crowds form.  Personally, I don't like events like this much.  You don't get any of the chef's typical or best work.  It's more about saying hi to them or seeing and being seen.  I think Seattle foodies get more excited about Feast each year than Portland foodies.  We're less likely to spend money, for one, and it's not cheap. We're also, despite the growing number of Californians, still not as much of a scenester town as Seattle or most other cities. 

There's a lot of things I would change about the festival, but my tastes aren't typical and I'm sure it would be less popular with my changes.  As is, they put on a very successful event that's much more professionally done than Portland probably deserves.  I went the first year because I got a free pass, frankly.  I don't care to hobnob with celebrity chefs or wait in lines and wade through crowds for a bite that probably isn't up to par for the chef.  Or for a sandwich.  So it doesn't hold much value for me.  The best value was the Bounty Grand Tasting thing in Pioneer Square. The first year it was pretty damn awesome.  It appeared to go downhill after that first year, however. 

No one can tell you what's a good value for you, though.  It's a big event and if you like those types of things, it's a good one.  Check out reports on it from last year and the year before, both here and elsewhere.  

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#17 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:01 AM

Look at this picture. http://pdx.eater.com...s-events-smoked

Does it make you excited or anxious or ?

#18 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

So I was looking at the panels from last year!  I'll update below.

The Old MacDonald Had a Brewery looks like a good value at $35. Panelists are good and there are no blowhards that'll hog the conversation (a key problem with many of the other panels. Basically anything with Andrew Bolton or Rajat Parr, I'd avoid).

I'd avoid the bourbon one even though it has Paul Clarke and Jim Meehan, given the bourbon won't be very good and aforementioned Mr. Bolton.

Of the Hands on Classes, Jami is back and I'd recommend her class.

#19 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:29 AM

Look at this picture. http://pdx.eater.com...s-events-smoked

Does it make you excited or anxious or ?

OK-- the site has been updated as of this morning, with ticket prices.

$135 to attend a night market?  Fuck that.  God intended night markets to be free.

I'll be sitting this one out, on principal alone.

Mr Taster

#20 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

^ The night market is free, once you hand them your $135 ticket to get in.