Beaverton's dystopian food future

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:56 AM

Levbarg, at the expense of being overly direct: I'm sure the discussion is interesting to some folks (though less so to me, to be honest).  However, it's off topic.  If you want to delve into this in more detail, how about creating a separate thread rather than continually bogging this one down?  Would be nice to keep this more or less focused on Beaverton, Hillsboro, and West Side Restaurants... sort of like the thread title.

Well, I'd argue that we *are* talking about Beaverton, Hillsboro and West Side restaurants.  Otherwise, what are we discussing?  St. John's?  Gresham?  But, I take your point.

Remember, I'm coming from Chowhound where free-flow conversation and tangents were encouraged, so if that's not the culture of this board, then I'll try to play along.  Though to be fair, I haven't gotten any commandments or directives from anyone who is actually in charge.

Mr Taster

#22 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Great food.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

Levbarg, at the expense of being overly direct: I'm sure the discussion is interesting to some folks (though less so to me, to be honest).  However, it's off topic.  If you want to delve into this in more detail, how about creating a separate thread rather than continually bogging this one down?  Would be nice to keep this more or less focused on Beaverton, Hillsboro, and West Side Restaurants... sort of like the thread title.

Well, I'd argue that we *are* talking about Beaverton, Hillsboro and West Side restaurants.  Otherwise, what are we discussing?  St. John's?  Gresham?  But, I take your point.

Remember, I'm coming from Chowhound where free-flow conversation and tangents were encouraged, so if that's not the culture of this board, then I'll try to play along.  Though to be fair, I haven't gotten any commandments or directives from anyone who is actually in charge.

Mr Taster

Well, I believe the fellow who runs the board may be traveling at the moment. But that's neither here nor there. If you simply browse thru various threads, you'll notice that off topic discussions are usually moved fairly quickly to a different thread, which implies to me at least that it's not so much encouraged. Thanks for the heads up on Chowhound -- this alone would be a good reason for me not to spend much time there as I personally don't get all that much enjoyment out of long, verbose, rambling discussions with little or no focus. Perhaps others who have hung around here longer than I have and participate more heavily might weigh in with their own view.

#23 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

Well, I believe the fellow who runs the board may be traveling at the moment. But that's neither here nor there. If you simply browse thru various threads, you'll notice that off topic discussions are usually moved fairly quickly to a different thread, which implies to me at least that it's not so much encouraged. Thanks for the heads up on Chowhound -- this alone would be a good reason for me not to spend much time there as I personally don't get all that much enjoyment out of long, verbose, rambling discussions with little or no focus. Perhaps others who have hung around here longer than I have and participate more heavily might weigh in with their own view.

And it's worth mentioning, I think, that my posts garner interest, which is good for the board.  Several people have already commented to me, both publicly and privately, that the boards are more active now than they have been in a long time (I've already made 150 posts in just 2 months' time), so it occurs to me that what this board needs is less of what you're describing and more of what I'm providing.

But again, if I'm directed by the board bosses to change my posting habits, I will comply.  It's their sandbox, and I'm a guest here.  I have no problem playing by the rules (once I know what they are).

Mr Taster

#24 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Great food.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

Active, yes.  Whether that activity is value add is subject to opinion.  I'd be more interested in quality rather than quantity as a measure of goodness for any discussion site such as this.  

I've pretty well said my piece and really have nothing else to add on this.  Others may weigh in (or not) as they see fit.

#25 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

The boards been pretty dead lately, not entirely sure why.. might be just a lot of us not having as much excess cash to eat out as much, or (and I know this part is true with myself and many others here) a lot of us are just hitting the same old rotation of spots without hitting many new places so there's considerably less to talk about.

I also have noted that this board dropped down considerably about the same time Eater PDX start really getting bigger and also a lot of the conversation has moved to Facebook (I know, shudder.. but if you're already there, it's one less place to post.. and stops redundancy on a person's part).

I agree Levberg has added conversation, and there's been some good discussions.. I just don't agree with some of his views or his attitude towards my hometown.. but c'est la vie... 

#26 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:11 AM

And it's worth mentioning, I think, that my posts garner interest, which is good for the board.  Several people have already commented to me, both publicly and privately, that the boards are more active now than they have been in a long time (I've already made 150 posts in just 2 months' time), so it occurs to me that what this board needs is less of what you're describing and more of what I'm providing.

But again, if I'm directed by the board bosses to change my posting habits, I will comply.  It's their sandbox, and I'm a guest here.  I have no problem playing by the rules (once I know what they are).

Mr Taster

As we're still wandering around in the weeds. As several previous comments have noted, there are threads for many of the things you comment on already in place and/or it may be appropriate to start a new thread for a converstation. I rather enjoy the philosophical, but it may be more appropriate to start a new thread about "The Future of the Far West Side" rather than inserting it into the middle of restaurant reviews. As easy as it is to start a new thread, that's what many of us tend to do.  I believe that's the general issue. Just my two cents worth.

In the past the moderators were more active at moderating and topics like this would get split out into their own threads. I'm actually surprised that it hasn't been split out already.

You may have also noted that as Oregonians either by birth or by longevity, we find all things California annoying. When we get compared to California, by Californians we wonder why said Californians are here and not still in California. If you stick around long enough, you'll understand.

You may have also noted that we're a snarky and sarcastic lot and as such, I hope you take this all in the spirit in which it is offered ;) 

#27 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

Thanks Flynn!