Beaverton's dystopian food future

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 doglover

doglover

Just another Portland foodie

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I'm a marketing geek who loves to travel, share a great bottle of wine with friends, and who is always on the lookout for a great new restaurant. St. Jack anyone?

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:01 AM

I have repeatedly suggested to the Beaverton City leadership that they need to make changes if they want a new future for downtown Beaverton that includes making it a place the citizens of Beaverton want to spend their evenings.   Until they start listening to my ideas and others, Beaverton will remain a culinary disaster area.   We're grateful for the handful of hole in the walls like Yuzu & Hae Rim.  But there's not much else out there.   We did just get a so-so craft brewpub on Cedar Hills.  

#2 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

I have repeatedly suggested to the Beaverton City leadership that they need to make changes if they want a new future for downtown Beaverton that includes making it a place the citizens of Beaverton want to spend their evenings.   Until they start listening to my ideas and others, Beaverton will remain a culinary disaster area.   We're grateful for the handful of hole in the walls like Yuzu & Hae Rim.  But there's not much else out there.   We did just get a so-so craft brewpub on Cedar Hills.  

There was a report in the O two weeks ago that CIty Council is rewriting the rules on food carts & pods, and we can expect that by next summer, we'll have our first cart pod.  This will be along the Canyon Rd area near Beaverton Town Square is my guess, based on the few locations they were looking at. 

Also there is a huge revitalization plan in the works for "downtown" Beaverton which will include an overhaul of Canyon Rd from 217 to Cedar Hills.  New office buildings, knock down & rebuilds of current storefronts, making the street pedestrian friendly, adding greenspace & enhancing water features and public art around Millikan and so on.  They're adding in a performing arts center too. 

I'm just thrilled they're doing it realistically, i.e. without the whole bs road diet thing Portland is obsessed with.

Renderings of what Canyon Rd will look like are in here:

http://www.beaverton...plan.com/tiger/

Here's the rendering & vision for the Creekside district, around Beaverton in the Round and so on:

http://portlandtribu...istrict-project

The mayor managed to get Federal matching funds for some of this stuff. 

#3 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:36 AM

Here's the article on the Beaverton food cart pods, for anyone interested in the details.  They've ID'd 7 possible locations between Canyon & Farmington, all in the "downtown" core area. Which probably means from 217 to just past Cedar Hills Blvd. 

http://www.pamplinme...ll-to-beaverton

#4 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the info, jennifer. Very interesting.

Here's my take.

I love what I see happening in Beaverton in terms of the non-American mom & pops that have taken root there, and I'd love to see an expansion and development of *that* rather than see Beaverton just copy Portland's template.

In other words, what I'd want to encourage is for Beaverton to become Portland's equivalent of LA's San Gabriel Valley (an Asian community densely populated with a multitude of non-American mom & pop shops), which would expand Portland's culinary scene in so many more profound ways than simply copying the carts-and-hipster cooking that define so much of the rest of the city.  (Street carts are actually something that's very familiar to anyone who has ever been to an Asian night market-- it would be really exciting to see a legit night market scene develop in Beaverton.)

The seeds of this type of development have already begun to germinate.  Let's nurture and encourage that type of growth, and diversify Portland's culinary scene, rather than just making it bigger.

Your take?

Mr Taster

#5 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for all the info, jennifer. Very interesting.

Here's my take.

I love what I see happening in Beaverton in terms of the non-American mom & pops that have taken root there, and I'd love to see an expansion and development of *that* rather than see Beaverton just copy Portland's template.

In other words, what I'd want to encourage is for Beaverton to become Portland's equivalent of LA's San Gabriel Valley (a densely populated Asian community with a multitude of non-American mom & pop shops), which would expand Portland's culinary scene in so many more profound ways than simply copying the carts-and-hipster cooking that define so much of the rest of the city.  (Street carts are actually something that's very familiar to anyone who has ever been to an Asian night market-- it would be really exciting to see a legit night market scene develop in Beaverton.)

The seeds of this type of development have already begun to germinate.  Let's nurture and encourage that type of growth, and diversify Portland's culinary scene, rather than just making it bigger.

Your take?

Mr Taster

Seeds germinating in PDX

https://www.facebook...rictnightmarket

#6 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

How exactly do you plan on getting Asians to move to Beaverton en masse?

Kind of a big problem with your plan.

BTW, if you think Portland's scene is all hipster, then well.. I got think you're completely off base.

#7 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

Man, nervousxtian, you do seem to enjoy putting words in my mouth. My vision is long, because I've seen it happen before.

Asians are already there, in the way Asians were in Monterey Park, CA, in 1975. Meaning, there were some, but not so many. Fast forward 30 years of Chinese wealth growth and favourable property laws, and you have a bonafide Chinese suburb in the middle of a Mexican-American city.

Mr Taster

#8 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

I know what the San Gabriel Valley is, but doubtful that's going to take place in Beaverton.  

I mean we all have dreams.    

I'm not putting any words in your mouth, it's all right there in your post.

Also, get over your hipster thing, it's as much bullshit as your view on ethnic chefs.

#9 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:12 PM

What is my view on "ethnic chefs", exactly? I ask because I have never written about "ethnic" chefs here.

In fact, I do not write about "ethnic" anything, because the word "ethnic" has about as much meaning as "authentic". Portland culture is equally as "ethnic" as Samoan culture, just as each culture's cuisine is "authentic" to itself.

Understand me before you paraphrase me. That's all I ask.

Mr Taster

#10 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

Sorry, I'm not English so my grasp of the English language isn't that authentic.    If I was only from England, maybe I'd be able to type it more clearly.

#11 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

I know what the San Gabriel Valley is, but doubtful that's going to take place in Beaverton.  

Fact check:  Elementary school populations in the Bethany area of Beaverton range from 25% - 49% Asian. 

#12 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:05 AM

Bethany has about 20k people, Beaverton 90k.    Beaverton itself is still around 10% asian, with the county still well into single digits.    

San Gabriel Valley as a whole is over 2 million people...   Washington County as a whole is half a million.       There's quite enough that we see these mom-and-pop joints pop up, but to see the density of the SGV is probably not going to happen.

#13 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

#14 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

Bethany has about 20k people, Beaverton 90k.    Beaverton itself is still around 10% asian, with the county still well into single digits.    

San Gabriel Valley as a whole is over 2 million people...   Washington County as a whole is half a million.       There's quite enough that we see these mom-and-pop joints pop up, but to see the density of the SGV is probably not going to happen.

You're the first (and only) person to assert this discussion has to do with establishing a SGV scale density in Portland.

Mr Taster

#15 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

...but to see the density of the SGV is probably not going to happen.

Sheesh let's hope not!  I don't ever want to live someplace that congested ever again.

#16 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

...but to see the density of the SGV is probably not going to happen.

Sheesh let's hope not!  I don't ever want to live someplace that congested ever again.

I hear ya, sister

Mr Taster

#17 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

You're the first (and only) person to assert this discussion has to do with establishing a SGV scale density in Portland.

Mr Taster

I find this whole discussion facinating and frankly, rather pointless. The fact is that the area has an ever increasing number of choices and I don't think it's going to slow down anytime soon as the population grow and diversity increases.

I moved to the Portland area in 1969 and graduated from Sunset HS in 73. My graduating class had one black, one Japanese, one Native American and several hundred whites. The only ethnic food in the area was a Greek restaurant over by the Tire Factory on Murray Road. Since Intel came to the area and Reagan has his amnesty the population has diversifed exponentially. I don't think that's going to slow down. Not only is there much greater diversity in the area, I think people are much more likely to try and enjoy the foods of other cultures and regions. I expect that there will only be many more choices in the future.

I don't think that if I dined out one meal everyday, that I could begin to try all of the places in the Metro area that I'd be willing to give a shot in my lifetime. It would take years to try the carts and taco trucks, let alone the brick and mortar options.

It's nice to see more activity on the board, but it would be nice if all of us were contributing more reviews of both new and old dining options.

#18 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

I moved to the Portland area in 1969 and graduated from Sunset HS in 73. My graduating class had one black, one Japanese, one Native American and several hundred whites. The only ethnic food in the area was a Greek restaurant over by the Tire Factory on Murray Road. Since Intel came to the area and Reagan has his amnesty the population has diversifed exponentially. I don't think that's going to slow down. 

That's exactly the observation I was making by comparing the Beaverton area to Monterey Park, and that's really exciting.  If that continues to develop as it has been, we're well on our way to getting a Beaverton branch of Din Tai Fung (I say that tongue-in-cheek, by the way, simply because among certain vocal Chowhounds in LA, their xiaolongbao are seen as being a little "soul-less", though I love them.).  All this talk of establishing LA-style Asian density by single-handedly carrying the population of Taiwan, China, Vietnam and S Korea to Beaverton on my back is rather far outside of anything I was communicating.

As for your point about pointlessness(!), I think the fact that people find the discussion interesting means that it has a point, in that it entertains and informs about the growth and evolution of this under-represented area of the Portland metro area.  If in 20 years the Beaverton region has developed into a bonafide Asian suburb along the lines of Milpitas or Bellevue, for example, we'll be the ones who recognized the zeitgeist while everyone else was obsessing over the same-old wood-fired veg and fried chicken :)

Mr Taster

#19 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

It's nice to see more activity on the board, but it would be nice if all of us were contributing more reviews of both new and old dining options.

Agreed, I'll try to remain more on topic.     I just need to not let the "Portland Hipster" thing bother me so much that I engage.

#20 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Great food.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

Levbarg, at the expense of being overly direct: I'm sure the discussion is interesting to some folks (though less so to me, to be honest).  However, it's off topic.  If you want to delve into this in more detail, how about creating a separate thread rather than continually bogging this one down?  Would be nice to keep this more or less focused on Beaverton, Hillsboro, and West Side Restaurants... sort of like the thread title.