Photo

Portland Dive Bars - Where do you go for your Dive Bar Fix?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

I've been hitting a few eastside places lately that are a bit divey, but have decent to good food, average or better beer and spirits.

Holman's

15 SE 28th Ave
PortlandOR 97214

This place has a whiskey club and decent dive bar food and happy hour. They're more of a beer and a shot sort of place. They won't make you a decent Manhattan for instance, but they've got a fair selection of spirits and a few decent beers on tap. They do a pretty good dinner style breakfast (opt for the pepper bacon). On Saturday and Sunday they have a bloody mary bar. They have a wheel to spin to see if you get a free meal. Happy hour food is pretty basic and acceptable. Breakfast is available all day.

The place still has a coating of tar and nicotine from the days of smoking inside. There's also an outdoor patio.

Roscoe's

8105 SE Stark St
Portland, OR 97215

Phone number(503) 255-0049

11:00 AM to 2:30 AM Everyday

One of the best places near 82nd Ave to get a beer. They've got a live feed of the taplist on their webpage. They have monthly beer events. Decent selection of spirits. Better than average bar food. I like the gumbo and the oyster po' boy. You can also order sushi from the place next door. Daytime vibe is quite different than at night. It's pretty laid back in the evening. Lot's of food and beverage industry folks hang out here.

Katie O'Briens

2809 NE Sandy Blvd

(503) 234-8573

8:00 AM to 2:30 AM Everyday

This place does a pretty good cheap breakfast. Burgers are just OK. Good selection of beers and spirits. The service is friendly and efficient.

Sam's Hollywood Billiards

1845 NE 41st Ave
Portland OR 97212
503-282-8266

Hours Mon - Sat: 7am-1am Sun: 9am-1am

$2 Domestic/$2 Well/$2.50 Micros Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri - 4:00pm-7:00pm
Decent food, beer and spirits. OK basic cocktails. Nice pool tables 

There are a couple of others I'll add soon. Where are other folks on the forum going for your dive bar fix?

#2 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

Rose and Thistle is my dive of choice. great fish and chips, back patio, decent taps, darts. It's like a poor man's Horse Brass.

#3 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

Rose and Thistle

2314 NE Broadway
Portland, Oregon 97232
Monday - Thursday: 3 pm - 2:30 am
Friday - Sunday: Noon - 2:30 am

#4 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:18 AM

What I consider a dive is much more rough than what we've been mentioning so far, so under this liberal definition, i'll include Yen Ha. Stiff G+Ts, Bun Bo Hue, what's not to love?
  Yen Ha
www.yenhapdx.com
6820 Ne Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97213
(503) 287-3698
Open 11:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Tired of the posturing of velvet-roped vodka factories and gear-heavy hop snobs? Welcome to Yen Ha's bar which was opened in 1991. No one is unwelcome at our down-to-earth watering hole. With great drink specials, weekend Karaoke jams, and the friendliest waitresses in the city, Yen Ha serves up the quirky antidote to whitebelt attitude and holier-than-thou bartending.
Bar Specials

• All Day Food Specials
  • Daily Drink Specials
  • Karaoke: Friday & Saturday

#5 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

Reel - m - Inn is a bit divey. I've heard about Yur's, but haven't made it there yet. 

#6 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

What I consider a dive is much more rough than what we've been mentioning so far, so under this liberal definition, i'll include Yen Ha. Stiff G+Ts, Bun Bo Hue, what's not to love?
  Yen Ha
www.yenhapdx.com
6820 Ne Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97213
(503) 287-3698

Tired of the posturing of velvet-roped vodka factories and gear-heavy hop snobs? Welcome to Yen Ha's bar which was opened in 1991. No one is unwelcome at our down-to-earth watering hole. With great drink specials, weekend Karaoke jams, and the friendliest waitresses in the city, Yen Ha serves up the quirky antidote to whitebelt attitude and holier-than-thou bartending.
Bar Specials

• All Day Food Specials
  • Daily Drink Specials
  • Karaoke: Friday & Saturday

Yes, I think Yen Ha qualifies as a dive bar. Thanks for an outside the box suggestion. They also have one of the most extensive Vietnamese menus in town. I'm especially fond of their Goi Ga

#7 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

Reel - m - Inn is a bit divey. I've heard about Yur's, but haven't made it there yet. 

Reel - M - Inn certainly belongs on the list. They've got great fried chicken to boot.

As this O-Live Article notes, they weren't able to get as long of an extension of their lease as they had hoped, so my thinking is we had better enjoy the place while we can. 

Reel - M - Inn

2430 SE Division St
PortlandOR 97202

Hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00 am - 2:30 am     Sunday 10:00 am - 1:00 am

#8 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

I'm going to put a vote in for the Alibi. Their happy hour burgers and hot dogs hit the spot. Drinks are strong. Weird crowd. Karaoke. Betting machines. A broom closet for a restroom. Murals of naked mermaids. Blowfish lanterns, tikis and lots of bamboo. Plush red wrap-around leather booths. What more do you need?

Alibi

4024 N Interstate Ave, Portland, OR 97227

http://www.alibiportland.com/

#9 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

Can't skip over Brooklyn Park. Who doesn't love a dive with one of the best (and most affordable) whiskey lists in town:

Brooklyn Park Pub

3400 SE Milwaukie Ave

Portland, OR 97202

503-234-7772

#10 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:24 PM

http://www.yenhapdx.com/]Yen Ha[/url]
www.yenhapdx.comhttp://www.bing.com/...5928&where1=Yen Ha&ss=ypid.YN720x12471260]6820 Ne Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97213[/url]
(503) 287-3698

Bar Specials

• All Day Food Specials[/*]
  • Daily Drink Specials[/*]
  • Karaoke: Friday & Saturday[/*]

I'm with you. Under my definition, everything listed so far has been a trusty neighborhood bar. In that vein, I'll add The Pink Feather, Golden Dynesty, The Lion's Eye, The Eagle Eye, Gemini, and The Lodge Bar & Grill. And the Devil's Point for good, lusty measure.

Now if you want a dive, I can point you in that direction, too. I'll get you settled into something classic before the hipsters discover it.

#11 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

IMO, any good dive bar has to legitimately have one or two things going for it. My Father's Place has great pinball and board game night, for example. Cider Mill has fried chicken delivery from Fryer Tuck. Sky Jockey has drunk air travel workers and a surreal little game room.

Now if you want a dive, I can point you in that direction, too. I'll get you settled into something classic before the hipsters discover it.

Point away!

#12 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

Its not in Portland but my favorite dive bar is Mary Todd's Workers Bar & Grill in Astoria. Across the street from the bridge/Holiday Inn Express

They have good burgers & fries, cheap beer and on Fri & Sat evenings they serve a great inexpensive prime rib dinner. 

http://www.yelp.com/...d-grill-astoria

#13 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

Yes, the dive bar must have one or two things going for it, and often too, a unique food item with a cult following doesn't hurt. The peanut butter burger at the Brooklyn Park Pub, the fish and chips and fried chicken mentioned above. But I also feel the dive bar must have a critical flaw, a distinct aroma and enough grime that it attracts dust into follicles atop the memorabilia.

#14 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hola,

I've been spending some QT on the yellow line Max recently and noticed 2 things which might qualify here. 

The Alibi has a sign they put out for lunch offering a "$5 Hawaiian Plate Special". That sign isn't out later in the afternoon, so I think it's a lunch-only offering. Also haven't been by there on the weekend, so that may be a Mon-Fri offer only. Yo no se. Still, that's a cheap lunch. Not cheap enough to merit inclusion in the Willamette Week's 2015 Cheap Eats Guide, however, but I guess someone had to get bumped so they could include a $14 lobster roll. Vale. I like the Alibi though. Another karaoke dive must surely be "Chopsticks III- How Can Be Lounge" at 535 NE Columbia. That looks like a good one too.

Another promising, Divey-looking place that is said to have good fried chicken is George's Corner Tavern (Interstate and Killingsworth). I haven't been there, but one of these days I'll have to check it out. It looks like a good one. 

Also in that neighborhood is the Florida Room (on Killingswoth next to PCC Cascade). I think that fits the bill as a good dive bar. It's certainly a favorite of the PCC crowd. 

I'd much rather go to these kind of bars than something like Fat Heads in the Pearl. Probably worth getting to them sooner rather than later (before their leases are up for renewal and they get redeveloped). 

¡Buen Provecho !

¡Salud!

#15 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

I'm going to put a vote in for the Alibi. Their happy hour burgers and hot dogs hit the spot. Drinks are strong. Weird crowd. Karaoke. Betting machines. A broom closet for a restroom. Murals of naked mermaids. Blowfish lanterns, tikis and lots of bamboo. Plush red wrap-around leather booths. What more do you need?

Alibi

4024 N Interstate Ave, Portland, OR 97227

http://www.alibiportland.com/

Hola,

I've been spending some QT on the yellow line Max recently and noticed 2 things which might qualify here. 

The Alibi has a sign they put out for lunch offering a "$5 Hawaiian Plate Special". That sign isn't out later in the afternoon, so I think it's a lunch-only offering. Also haven't been by there on the weekend, so that may be a Mon-Fri offer only. Yo no se. Still, that's a cheap lunch. Not cheap enough to merit inclusion in the Willamette Week's 2015 Cheap Eats Guide, however, but I guess someone had to get bumped so they could include a $14 lobster roll. Vale. I like the Alibi though. Another karaoke dive must surely be "Chopsticks III- How Can Be Lounge" at 535 NE Columbia. That looks like a good one too.

Another promising, Divey-looking place that is said to have good fried chicken is George's Corner Tavern (Interstate and Killingsworth). I haven't been there, but one of these days I'll have to check it out. It looks like a good one. 

Also in that neighborhood is the Florida Room (on Killingswoth next to PCC Cascade). I think that fits the bill as a good dive bar. It's certainly a favorite of the PCC crowd. 

I'd much rather go to these kind of bars than something like Fat Heads in the Pearl. Probably worth getting to them sooner rather than later (before their leases are up for renewal and they get redeveloped). 

¡Buen Provecho !

¡Salud!

I like your reasoning a lot.

I also had to quote my former post as there are NO pictures of naked mermaids at the Alibi. The murals are of three not naked hula dancers. I'm truly sorry, I didn't want to mislead anyone. 

alibi.0.0.jpg