Photo

Professional whetstone sharpening in Portland?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:40 AM

Are there any professional, experienced knife sharpeners that use a whetstone wheel to sharpen?

Mr Taster

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

I'm confused. Do you want sharpening here or in LA? The last place in PDX that I remember using a wheel to sharpen was George & Son downtown and they've been gone for years.

Here's an article from the Oregonian with some links to sharpening services in the metro area.

Here's a reference to Edgemaster from Pollo Elastico.

Shun/Kershaw Factory Sharpening

There's also a new knife shop on SE Belmont called Portland Knife House that offers sharpening. According to EaterPDX, it has local chef's drooling. If you check them out, please let us know if it made you drool. ;)

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:06 PM

Portland Knife House will do it either by hand or by wheel.  You can choose.  I had several knives sharpened there and they did a very good job.  Generally, I think they suggest doing the Japanese knives by hand and the German/French knives by machine.  There are cheaper places around, but they do a good job and you have the option of the hand sharpening.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:34 PM

Portland Knife House closed 5/8 - 5/18 FYI

#5 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

How is that place pricing wise?   I don't mind paying over internet pricing a bit, but I don't like paying considerably over either.

I'm not in that hood too often to make the stop on a whim.

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

Their knives are actually quite reasonable for the quality.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

A guy recently contacted me about knife sharpening. It looks like he has quite a few local restaurants for accounts. I'm not sure if he uses whetstones or not.

Sato Sharpening

Facebook:   https://www.facebook...land.or?fref=ts

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/satosharpening

#8 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

I'm confused. Do you want sharpening here or in LA?

Whoops, sorry.  Typo.  Corrected in original post.

Thanks for the pointers, guys.

Mr Taster

#9 Mist

Mist
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

There is a knife sharpener at the Gresham Farmer's Market. Ron's Custom Sharpening. 

#10 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

Sherwood Saturday Market has a sharpener with a whetstone.

#11 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:36 AM

Kitchen Kaboodle is offering knife sharpening for the holiday season ~ From their website.

Woody Bailey is Portland's zen master of cutlery. He teaches at the Oregon Culinary Institute and sharpens knives for many of Portland's finest chefs. Woody was trained by Master Knifesmith Bob Kramer, the creator of the nation's most coveted culinary knives and the originator of the 7-step Kramer method of sharpening.

When Woody puts a new Zen Blades edge your knife, it's no ordinary knife sharpening. Instead, it's a better-than-new re-creation of your knife's ideal edge. a restoration of its original geometry. We've put Woody and his skills to the test on our own dull knives, and man-oh-man, our knives have been transformed!

Woody offers his sharpening service exclusively at Kaboodle. We guarantee you'll love your Zen Blades edge or your money back. And the price is quite reasonable, just $6 ea. for knives under 6", $8 for knives 6" or longer.

Over the next month, Woody will be at each of our stores, offering his service with the added bonus ofnext-day turnaround. Bring in your knives by 3:00 pm, and get them back by the end of the next day. Here's the schedule:

• Saturday, October 31st, NE Portland store

• Saturday, November 7th, Orenco Station store

• Saturday, November 14th, NW Portland store

• Saturday, November 21st, SW Portland store