Saveur

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joeleatspdx

joeleatspdx
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

Does anyone else hate the changes at Saveur magazine?  James Oselund resigned last fall and the new editor has made his stamp on the magazine.  It has lost its depth and beauty and is now just another trend magazine where the writers get paid by the star chef name drops.  It went from James Beard to Portlandia.  Thppppt.

-- bacon IS a food group.

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

I agree it's lost it's lustre.  I don't see myself renewing it at this point.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:30 PM

It might be nice when food isn't trendy anymore and we can go back to being food nerds with our niche products that actually have depth and substance.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

I always loved Saveur.

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:09 PM

This maked me so sad. The last non-niche magazine to do true food journalism.

#6 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:21 PM

It might be nice when food isn't trendy anymore and we can go back to being food nerds with our niche products that actually have depth and substance.

I remember making the case to my mom circa 1995 why she should be getting the block of parmesan instead of the green can, and she still thought her college son was being too fancy. My stepdad mocked me for it. Used it as an excuse why I didnt deserve their benevolence, because I wasted money. Seriously. Today, she's always got a block on hand. Yet another small bit of evidence of the mainstreaming of food culture.

I, too, miss the early days but at the same time I think we're in a better position now because of it. Bear in mind that it's this way because we all of us helped to make it this way. Its like being in on the indie rock band before they hit it big, and who end up influencing music for all time. I don't think society will be going back to the bad old days of food anytime soon, and we should be glad for that. Overall.

Mr Taster