• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

I actually have to admit a mea culpa to Levbarg on the chashu.

I think you chased him off already.

It's quite possible.  I assumed either he would run away or become a really good contributor.  He chose the former.  

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#82 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

It's quite possible.  I assumed either he would run away or become a really good contributor.  He chose the former.  

Actually, you're both wrong. Mr. Taster was away on vacation. I'm sure he will be back very soon to share and help bring some much needed life back into this forum.

#83 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

I kind of prefer it quiet. Less work for me.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#84 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

Actually, you're both wrong. Mr. Taster was away on vacation. I'm sure he will be back very soon to share and help bring some much needed life back into this forum.
Yup. We were in Vancouver (and Richmond) and the Canadian Rockies for a few weeks and came back yesterday. Had some great Chinese food there- not fancy, not reinterpreted or reinvented- just right. Great stuff.

I'd go into detail, but I'm sure I'd be lambasted for it. Anyone who's interested can pm me and I'd be happy to share my experiences.

Mr Taster

#85 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

you should definitely post the names of the restaurants and top dishes in the Restaurants Elsewhere forum.

#86 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

you should definitely post the names of the restaurants and top dishes in the Restaurants Elsewhere forum.

Like I said, pm me if you want to know.

Mr Taster

#87 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

I kind of prefer it quiet. Less work for me.

ExtraMSG, don't be so eager to go into retirement, you're too young for that. Hey, here's a picture of levbarg (Mr Taster) sharing some of his ice cream w/ me at What's the Scoop!

19115972363_4973388054_b.jpg

#88 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

Heads up to a conversation on Chowhound about the dreaded "soft poached" ramen egg.  Apparently it's a thing in Virginia Beach and Minneapolis, too.

http://www.chowhound...-cooked-1031511

Mr Taster

#89 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

FYI, this place is now called "Kizuki Ramen". They apparently want to expand into Hawaii (just got back from Honolulu, there's a fair amount of busy Japanese chains there so smart move on their part) and "Kukai" means poop in Hawaiian.

As for the ramen, I've been here a few times (shoyu and shio each time) and it's by far the best ramen I've had in Portland since I moved here 14 years ago. I always upgrade to the pork belly for $1.50, and add an egg.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#90 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

Since they opened their Capitol Hill location, it's becoming quite popular up here in Seattle as well. Similar wait times and such. Ramen aficionados are quite taken by their noodles.

#91 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Tofu aficionados like me are taken by their agedashi tofu.

#92 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

FYI, this place is now called "Kizuki Ramen". They apparently want to expand into Hawaii (just got back from Honolulu, there's a fair amount of busy Japanese chains there so smart move on their part) and "Kukai" means poop in Hawaiian.

As for the ramen, I've been here a few times (shoyu and shio each time) and it's by far the best ramen I've had in Portland since I moved here 14 years ago. I always upgrade to the pork belly for $1.50, and add an egg.

I think they're really inconsistent.  I've had noodles cooked to soggy and even upgraded pork belly that sucks, whereas their normal pork is pretty piss poor.  I stick with this assessment: 

I get why some will see this as "finally real ramen" in Portland, but I don't think it's an improvement over existing places in any meaningful way except choices.  It's worth visiting if you love ramen, though do so at off hours.  Our wait was 45 minutes on a weeknight for two.

I understand it has a nostalgic quality for certain types of ramen places, but I just the quality is inconsistent at best.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#93 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

I like it too, but I am no expert. My husband is, though, and this is his favorite bowl (shoyu) in town as well. He always orders a "side" of broth.

Our wait is usually 45-1 hr.

#94 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

I do like the thin-noodle shoyu a lot. Definitely one of the best bowls in town (as well as up in Seattle). Shio is good too. I've been less enthused with the other broths and some of the thicker noodle types have been overcooked in my experience.

#95 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

Locally, I prefer the ramen at Yuzu overall. I also like a food cart in SE called UmaiPDX. I found the appetizers at Kukai to be uneven.