Restaurants in Vancouver

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#161 ppilot

ppilot
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:31 PM

Just found a new pastry shop off of 164th in fishers landing.

Baron's Patisserie - 16500 Southeast 15th Street #140, Vancouver, WA 98683

Seems to have a good selection of the usual french pastry fare. I confirmed they do have Kouign-amann and will be stopping by tomorrow morning to check it out

Some general facebook pictures on their website

#162 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:17 AM

thank you!  I'll check it out.

#163 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

I'll check it out in the next few days. Thanks, ppilot.

Update:

I'm so happy with my selection today and that this patisserie is available on this side of the river.

For my first visit, I selected 2 kouign amann, vanilla cheesecake, peach croustade, and a cup of coffee made with Heart Roaster beans.

As you saw from the links provided by ppilot , Baron Kim, the owner, has a very artistic and elegant hand in decorating his pastries.

The kouign amann and croustade had the crispy, delicate layers in the exterior, soft buttery interior with the thinnest vanilla cream layer and finished with a thin, sugary crust. I carefully re-heated the second k.a. the following day and it was still very good.

The vanilla cheesecake was silky smooth with little blueberries hidden within, and the crust was fresh with a nice crispness.

Every pastry was balanced in flavor and not overly sweet, perfect for my palate.

As you enter, all the selections are carefully displayed under glass.  A nice collection of approx. 15?? different items: variety of croissants (also bacon and cheese), eclairs, k.a, cheesecakes, tartlettes, etc. when I visited in the morning for best selection. The prices were not listed, but my total cost was very reasonable.

The beauty of this establishment is that they make small batches and keep their product fresh and that taste really comes through. For now, it's standing room only, there are no tables or chairs. Baron Kim and his lady, who greeted me as I walked in, were very pleasant and friendly and seemed to be on a first name basis with the customers who entered after me. 

Looking forward to tasting more of their menu.

#164 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

I've been there about 10 times in the last 3 weeks.  I can't compare it to other patisserie's because I don't frequent them, but they blow away anything anywhere near my daily commute.

The pastries are gorgeous, and Baron and Brie(?) are friendly and approachable.  

Baron says that their  Kouign-amann are a little different than traditional.  I wouldn't know because they are the only I've had.  They are delicious.

#165 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:22 AM

I've been there about 10 times in the last 3 weeks.  I can't compare it to other patisserie's because I don't frequent them, but they blow away anything anywhere near my daily commute.

The pastries are gorgeous, and Baron and Brie(?) are friendly and approachable.  

Baron says that their  Kouign-amann are a little different than traditional.  I wouldn't know because they are the only I've had.  They are delicious.

The other k.a's I've tried were from Roman Candle, Little T, and St. Honore and they are all slightly different in style. To me, his k.a is a little lighter in weight/density and not as heavy in the intense caramel sugar layer, but still delish and leaves room for me to try other pastries.  As long as Baron's interpretation of pastries entice you to his shop 10x in the last 3 weeks, he's definitely doing right by you. Any favorites for you so far?

#166 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

I went today. Turns out we've used them for catering before and they can make mini versions of everything. For their full size items prices are cheaper than Pantera and, obviously, significantly better. I paid $31 for a dozen assorted items. I enjoyed bites of 8 different things this time with the chocolate mouse (yes mouse not mousse) and the ham and cheddar croissant standing out. They serve Heart roasters but do not sell their beans.

Baron used to work at Seize the Bagel and the owner there really pushed him to open his own place. Baron's aunt is a French baker in NYC.

#167 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:25 AM

Visited a second time yesterday. It was before 10 am, around the same time as my first visit and the pastry case selection was half the amount compared to the first visit. She said they had a busy morning. I tried the mini Paris-brest made with hazelnut cream and a mini chocolate eclair. Very good. Also selected a cinnamon croissant which was very different in texture than what I'm used to, light exterior layers, but more bread-like with less layers within, although the flavor was perfect and mild.

I sampled warm brownie-like cakes just out of the oven, really lovely texture and flavor.

No kouign amann today, so if that's my goal, it's better that I call to confirm when that will be available.

#168 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

Any favorites for you so far?

The ham and cheddar croissant is my favorite thing in the morning, when I am looking for something savory.   I get that whenever they have them (last time she saved me one unsolicited because they went fast).  They more often have ham and Swiss.

With coffee, or as a treat I like the Kouign-amann or a raspberry croissant.

Today they had madeleines. Baron said if they are popular he may begin making them regularly for Saturdays.

#169 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:35 AM

Thanks to pwillen1 and ppilot, I made my rounds to Pho Vi Van for pho and Baron's Patisserie for dessert. I did try the ham and cheese croissant and they are indeed very good.

In fact, Baron's is my go-to for gifts, this holiday season, as I select an assortment of these jewel box treats for my hair stylist, my neighbor, etc. Their eyes really light up when they see some of the beautifully decorated tarts and they taste as good as they look. They had a beautiful Croquembouche (cream puff tower with hard caramel) waiting in the back for some lucky recipient.

The Columbian newspaper did a review of Baron's earlier this month, but I heard about him here first.

And while I'm at it, thanks to Nick Zukin for continuing to support this site and all the many contributors who provide so much information.

#170 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

We were at a friend's house in Camas last Sunday night and they picked up pastries from Svitoch Bakery in Vancouver. The pastries reminded me a lot of Tanya's European Deli/Bakery in Beaverton (next to TJ Maxx off Canyon Rd).  I'm told that Svitoch has a huge wall of macarons too. 

Here's the Yelp feed for pics:  http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/svitoch-vancouver 

Svitoch

4804 NE Thurston Way

Vancouver, WA 98662

9am - 10pm Mon - Sat

noon - 9pm Sun

#171 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

Hola,

Svitoch is very cool. It's yet another Russian market in Vancouver, with all the products and brands that entails, but it's also a full bakery. They have a case with hot food to go as well. I haven't tried any of the hot, ready foods, but it's a decent sized collection and it looks good. They are particularly well stocked with pastries/sweets (and candies) but that's not my thing.

If you time it right (or get lucky) the breads are still warm on the shelves. I'm particularly enamored of a rustic brown bread they sell for $4 for a big loaf. It's a nice place. It's located on the perimeter of the Vancouver mall, which can be a drag with traffic sometimes, but it's worth a stop if you're in the area (and worth planning a trip around peak traffic too).

Buen provecho

#172 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

Hola,

Svitoch is very cool. It's yet another Russian market in Vancouver, with all the products and brands that entails, but it's also a full bakery. They have a case with hot food to go as well. I haven't tried any of the hot, ready foods, but it's a decent sized collection and it looks good. They are particularly well stocked with pastries/sweets (and candies) but that's not my thing.

If you time it right (or get lucky) the breads are still warm on the shelves. I'm particularly enamored of a rustic brown bread they sell for $4 for a big loaf. It's a nice place. It's located on the perimeter of the Vancouver mall, which can be a drag with traffic sometimes, but it's worth a stop if you're in the area (and worth planning a trip around peak traffic too).

Buen provecho

My friends had pastries for a party from this bakery.  If you're familiar with Tanya's European Deli off Canyon Rd & 114th, the pastries at Svitoch are very similar. Here is their facebook page with photos of pastries and grocery:  https://www.facebook.com/Svitoch-European-Bakery-1434219643473821/ 

20151220_164242.jpg

#173 ppilot

ppilot
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:55 PM

Joy Teriyaki just opened up another location on 192nd

(509 SE 192nd Ave, Ste 104 Vancouver, WA 98683).  

Nothing mind blowing but their teriyaki is decent (just don't stray too off the mainstays as the consistency isn't great) so it's a good cheap take out option.

Baron's is a good as always with Baron trying to come up with fun new pastry options.
8zZZRN5m.jpg

They are insanely busy these days as people are sometimes arriving 30 minutes before the shop opens to pick up items and they are basically sold out of their daily pastries by 3pm. It's to the point where they need another body, but they aren't sure what's the best way of finding one.

Anybody have any suggestions?