Restaurants in Vancouver

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#41 hollysue

hollysue
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:50 PM

Went to the Restaurant at the Historic Reserve today since it was so close.

My overall rating is... meh.

Had a blackened salmon caesar salad ($11). The salmon was really good and flavorful, and I got a good-sized filet, especially for a salad. The croutons were really good too. I think they were a mix of sourdough and pumpernickel (or another really dark bread). But the dressing was so boring. Not very garlicky, not very anything.

And the service was pitiful too. Got seated in the bar, which was fine. The server came and took my order quickly, but that was the last word I heard from her. She silently brought my food and I never saw her again. No, not true. I did see her with other customers, but she never came back to my table. From what I saw, she was the same way with everyone. Someone else who finished about the same time I did happened to catch another person, who very quickly got our plates taken away and the checks settled.

So, just meh. I'll go again if I'm desperate, without a car or food at work, and too lazy to walk downtown! :)

#42 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the report, Hollysue. I've looked at the menu a couple times and just never been excited enough. It's already 15 minutes from my house, so if I want to go that far, I just go another 10 to Portland. (Or the eastside for me is no further.)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#43 pearlpear

pearlpear
  • Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Food writing, cooking and baking, outdoor activities, eating out

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:02 PM

Sadly, Vancouver does lack in choices. However, when I am not in the mood to drive to Portland and just want to stay close or eat in I have a few standbys.

Thai Little Home is my standby. I started going there about 8 years ago. They are great, cheap eats.

They, not Thai Little Home, recently opened a Thai place in Battle Ground called Golden Tusk Thai Cusine. (They are in a strip mall by Albertsons.) I use them for takeout mostly, because they are close to my home and the restaurant is always too cold with the AC.) The Duck Curry is good, along with the Tom Ka and Tom Yum. I also enjoy their Fresh Salad Rolls with their peanut sauce and sweet and sour sauce. Very good, although a bit addicting. Just good easy to eat food.

Also, the Barbeque stand in Dollars Corner, Smokin' Papas, is very good, though I think they had to shut down during the Fourth for a fireworks stand, a travisty, as they are very close to my home and very good. I talked to the owner who gets up at 3AM and drives down from North Battle Ground to get the fire going and the meat on. He is looking for a place to set up shop and have a lunch and dinner place. It is clearly his passion.

Roots is always good, especially for special occasions in their small dining room. Oh, and Happy Hour. They are a bit far for me though.

Beaches is a great place to go see and be seen in Vancouver? (If there is such a place?) It is hook-up central in the bar. I do love the vibe in there? I have found the Happy Hour to be great because the food is good for bar food and cheap. However, nothing too special in the restaurant. When I want to spend some money on my meal I don't waste my time there. I go south to portland and enjoy something worth gaining calories for.

I do need to find a good breakfast joint nearby? I have yet to find one that is truly tasty and not gut wretching (Fatty Patty's). Any suggestions?

#44 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

Maybe Gray's. Haven't tried breakfast there, but I bet it's decent. It's hard to screw up eggs, though Shari's proves that wrong 24 hours a day.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#45 pearlpear

pearlpear
  • Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Food writing, cooking and baking, outdoor activities, eating out

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:22 PM

You got that right! Where is Gray's? I tend to like the hole in the wall joints that attract locals and people who read the paper and drink coffee. Something so great about eating out in the morning. A gathering of people to start out the day right.... Thanks.

#46 Knobcreeky

Knobcreeky
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:46 PM

It is with great trepidation that I offer the following for weekend breakfasts- Billygan's in Salmon Creek.
I am batting about .500 regarding breakfast. Half the time it churns out the standard egg- potato- protein fare that is pretty good in both quality and quantity- the other half of the time leaves me asking if my memory is failing me and I actually had breakfast somewhere else and thought is was Billygan's.
It is certainly better than Fatty Patty's, Fat Dave's and the rest of the greasy spoons along Hwy 99 but not anything to get excited about. I think it only does breakfast on the weekends.
I am not hugely fond of the lunch/dinner menu but find myself there on occasion because trying to get the SO and teenagers to agree where to go for dinner when I don't feel like cooking is a chore.

I wish someone with some skills would lease that closed down Denny's by the Safeway on 78th and give the hood a decent place to eat.
"Shop smart- shop S-mart"- Ash

#47 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:51 PM

The hole in the walls in Vancouver, in my experience, mostly deserve to be such. Actually, I've heard that the place across the street from the new Wal-Mart on 4th Plain about 2/3 of the way toward 164th/162nd from SR 503/500 called something like Chop House is decent. It's a small little place manned by one guy -- or at least it was when I was considering buying it. Not sure if he ever sold. But the last time I went by there a few months ago it was still surviving.

Gray's is the restaurant in the Hilton. So it's not a hole in the wall at all.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#48 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:52 PM

Man, Fat Dave's is even worse than Fatty Patty's. Fatty Patty's is mediocre stuff more about big portions. Fat Dave's crap is truly offensive. Offensive! They can't even please my Shari's coffee drinking friends. It's truly that bad.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#49 hollysue

hollysue
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

I like the breakfasts at Dulin's downtown. Killarney potatoes are great (their breakfast potatoes with black beans, cheddar, sour cream, salsa). The black forest ham & Tillamook cheddar omelet is good too (I liken it to a ham sandwich with eggs instead of bread). The scrambles are usually good as well. They are to me, at least!

Darn, now I'm hungry for breakfast. :)

#50 Johann-Sandra

Johann-Sandra
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:46 PM

Ran across this thread searching to see if anyone had any insight as to what happened to Bacchus? I went over there the other day in the middle of the day and it was closed, with no sign on the door, and still full of the usual tables, chairs, etc. inside. Checked their website - it's down. That place does great business on the weekends, and decent business the rest of the week - seems awfully strange that it would be closed down. If it's changing management again, seems like they'd put a sign up or something. Weird. Anyone know anything?

Since I never gave my 2 cents on this thread when it was active, I'll throw my hat in now.

Good Breakfast - The only breakfast I've had in Vancouver that keeps me coming back is at Sunrise Bagels in Downtown Vancouver. This is the only Sunrise that serves full breakfasts - not just bagel sandwiches. French toast, blueberry pancakes, pizza, the whole 9 yards. Everywhere else is Dennys in disguise. I used to go to Fatty Patty's all the time (the one on 5 corners is the only one I would go to, after trying the others) just because it was huge and something different - too greasy for me now, and I just don't need that much food. I used to eat at Fat Daves when I worked graveyard and was 18 years old. It's horrible, rat-poison, floating in grease, truck stop food - but at 3AM in Hazel Dell, there weren't many choices. Dulin's used to be excellent, has gone way down since the days in uptown village. Christine's on Evergreen used to be good a long time ago - that was a long time ago, not now.

Grays - We've only eaten lunch and had drinks there - better each time. For Vancouver, it's a pretty good bet, I think. At least for lunch. Can't speak to the dinner.

Hudson - Good for Vancouver, bad for everywhere else. Nice enough place, but all the entrees we've had seem to be like mush food - kind of like eating at the Flamingo Hilton in Las Vegas - easy-chew for the extensive senior crowd. Still like it for drinks when I'm in the area, though, which isn't often.

Reserve - Nice place for drinks, haven't eaten there for dinner. Like above, haven't felt excited enough about the menu to drive across town for yet - plan to try it soon, though.

Thai - Thai Little Home is still the best, though I do like Tigers Garden (I know it's technically Laotian). None compares to Thai Basil or Typhoon in Portland. Arawan started out good, has gone way downhill - same for Thai Place Cuisine. Bangkok Palace was never very good, no matter how many times they change owners.

Mexican - Agree about the downtown spots, very bad. Mexico Lindo in Cascade Park and Lindo Mexico in Garrison Square are probably the only two in town I can stomach - their specials are actually quite fresh and good.

Italian - Nope. Saw Little Italy's was in last year's Portland's Best Places - not sure why. High school kids scooping pasta out of huge vats. Yum. Pasta Cucina is worse.

Beaches - Good for happy hour, not good otherwise.

Vinotopia - Hit and miss - don't order in the movies - only in the wine bar. Still the best hangout in town, along with the bars at Bacchus and Beaches, and many times the food is quite good. Others...

Pizza - Typical NW Pizza fare, mostly. Blind Onion is probably my favorite - very flavorful. The place looks like a hole, and is in the ghetto. Next probably Pizzicato and Bortolami's in Hazel Dell. 360 is a nice place to have a glass of wine and pasta, but the pizza I think is tasteless. I keep going back, thinking it will be different, but not yet. I have hopes, though. I haven't tried Z Best Pizza, yet, to see if it's worth the name. Vancouver Pizza Company, Leonardos and Julianos are okay - the rest are not.

Other decent places in town include Roots, Applewood, Bacchus (if it's still existing), uh....

#51 Joisey

Joisey
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

There's going to be a new place opening up in Vancouver called Vesta, I think their target is the end of January. Pretty ambitious menu, totally for the foodie crowd.

#52 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:59 PM

I agree for the most part with your run-down Johann-Sandra. I would add a few caveats. A lot of these places do some things better than others....

I think Thai Place has a couple dishes they do very well. eg, they have a nam sod, eg, that's quite tasty. It's not a great version of the dish, but it's a hard dish to find in Portland and it's acceptable. Lotus Thai (formerly Bangkok) has gotten a little better, but really it's just mediocre Thai consistently across the menu. I do think their angel wings are better than most, though. And specials can be tasty. And they have really nice, attentive service. I haven't been to the Thai place on Chkalov since it changed hands. I liked it in its previous version. Arawan was always the best in the area until they let things slip and opened the sushi bar part.

I think Beaches makes some decent food. You have to figure it's competing with McMenamins and other pub grub places and chains like Applebees on both price and style. And at that, they beat the competition. And items like their wings, key lime pie, etc, are pretty good, though generally not worth the wait.

I like 360 better than Pizzicatto. I think they're a good comparison because they're a similar style. Neither is something to write home about, but better than most in town. Otherwise, agreed.

For Mexican, try some of the taquerias on 4th Plain between I-5 and Andresen. Colima and Don Paco are the best. For Mexican American, the little place at 4th Plain and 164th in the strip mall is better than many and has a more southwestern Mexican-American menu than Lindo. I still like Lindo better, though.

Vinotopia has gone through a number of staffing changes and menu changes. I think it's improving again. I agree, though, some of the dishes don't do well in the transition from kitchen to theater. I think they should just not have them go out to the theater. Those plastic plates let them get cold too easy. But other items, like wraps, do great. I know the consulting chef, and it sounds like they're going to improve the menu again with some larger entrees.

Don't forget some of the worst Vietnamese in PDX: Pho Ton. And then there's the place over by Andresen which doesn't serve very good Vietnamese, either. And Green Papaya in the GI Joe's strip mall, which is also blech.

Ran across this thread searching to see if anyone had any insight as to what happened to Bacchus?

Bacchus changed hands a while back. Perhaps the new owners couldn't make it work. I never liked it under the first owners. Got some really awful dishes at exorbitant prices. I meant to try it under the new owners, but just couldn't bring myself to TOFT.

There's going to be a new place opening up in Vancouver called Vesta, I think their target is the end of January. Pretty ambitious menu, totally for the foodie crowd.

I haven't seen them do anything with the place yet at all. So if January is their target, they better start scrubbing the Fuddruckers out of the location.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#53 ez

ez
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

Not sure if there is a newer thread or not...but figured I would add a few places I have found since moving up here.

Dok Koon on St Johns...great thai food.

Carols Corner is a breakfast joint further up on st johns and has HUGE portions. I really liked there CC special omelet with yummy ham, bacon, and cheese inside, the gut bomb of breakfasts :-) There hashbrowns are a cross between a standard hashbrown and a french fry.

Anyway, I am exploring more places and will post as I find them.

#54 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

any new recommendations?

also, has anyone tried Cisco's (the mexican restaurant)?

#55 wanchi

wanchi
  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:sweets, cooking, walking, playing tennis with my older son

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:38 PM

any new recommendations?

also, has anyone tried Cisco's (the mexican restaurant)?

Yes, I have. Nothings special.

#56 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

Pho Viet is still the best value on the east side. Although I was annoyed to learn this week that they've taken off the sugar cane shrimp and some other items (although not removed them from the menu).

There's an El Pollo Loco going in on 164th near the Gustav's. Originally there was also a sign there for On the Border. There are two buildings and I know that El Pollo Loco is being developed by a similar interest as On the Border, which would suggest that they might be developed side by side. As far as chains go, those are two of the better ones and they actually add something to the PDX food scene, since we can't seem to get decent chicken to stick around and the Tex-Mex offerings are pretty sad for the most part.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#57 firestorm

firestorm
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:The Grande Cuisine

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

they are closed now.
"....they must've been followin us for weeks, how else would they know that i got gas."

#58 Joisey

Joisey
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

they are closed now.

That's really a shame. Morris is a great guy and I was really pulling for him out there.

#59 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

there's this new place called Wingman over by the Firkin and the Frog over on 112th. Chickenwings.

When is El Pollo Loco/On The Border supposed to open?

I also hear there's a PF CHang's and some other stuff going in out on 192th (I think it was near the new Walmart, but can't remember for sure).

#60 wanchi

wanchi
  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:sweets, cooking, walking, playing tennis with my older son

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

I also hear there's a PF CHang's and some other stuff going in out on 192th (I think it was near the new Walmart, but can't remember for sure).

NO, PF Chang's!!! :lol: