Portland Food Tastes [Split from Ome Calli]

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#141 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

Three comments:

1) In the family of one of my friends growing up they always made nachos using Doritos.  The meat was seasoned with Lawry's taco seasoning.  And the cheese was Velveeta.  

2) There is a This American Life, iirc, that focuses on Mexicans who grew up in the states and then are sent back to live in Mexico who work as telemarketers and the like in Mexico City.  Almost uniformly they miss Taco Bell.

3) I took some time off of college to run a small weekly newspaper for my dad.  Because he paid me less than minimum wage, I lived with him.  One time I made him teriyaki chicken from scratch.  His only comment was that it was "exotic".  He did not say it ironically. 

This makes me so very sad. 

#142 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

Would Pok Pok have done as well or as quickly if it weren't for those wings to draw people in first, then seduce them with the real Thai cuisine?

And those wings are a Vietnamese recipe!

#143 Joedo6

Joedo6
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

Three comments:

1) In the family of one of my friends growing up they always made nachos using Doritos.  The meat was seasoned with Lawry's taco seasoning.  And the cheese was Velveeta.  

2) There is a This American Life, iirc, that focuses on Mexicans who grew up in the states and then are sent back to live in Mexico who work as telemarketers and the like in Mexico City.  Almost uniformly they miss Taco Bell.

3) I took some time off of college to run a small weekly newspaper for my dad.  Because he paid me less than minimum wage, I lived with him.  One time I made him teriyaki chicken from scratch.  His only comment was that it was "exotic".  He did not say it ironically. 

Why?

#144 vj

vj
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

Three comments:

(etc)

Why?

It just does. I base my flimsy idea of authenticity on travel. I may not have been to SE Asia, but dammit, I've been to pacific Mexico. While I recognize everyone adapts their recipes to their own tastes and the foodstuffs they have available, I am always saddened when I see a substitution like this. Chilaquiles is made of leftovers - stale tortillas that are fried, and leftover salsa/sauce. That's my standard.

I've never had chilaquiles in someone's home in Mexico, but I hope to some day. And if they make it with Doritos, I will not complain. But in restaurants? I will complain. And I will be sad.

I don't go to Mexico to see some candy-ass Americanized version of it - I want to experience Méxicanismo. I do realize that tourism Disneylands everything.  But still...

#145 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

I'm curious, why did you share that your secretary is Russian? How is is that relevant to this conversation?

She's an immigrant, though she's been her for decades.    She hasn't been much out of her comfort zone food-wise despite being here for decades.   

It's also interesting as there's so little cross-over from traditional Russian cooking to Mexican cuisine.     She grew up in a vacuum food-wise.   Yet Taco-bell wasn't scary to eat, but a real taco?    It was. 

Just interesting is all.