• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#21 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

The amateurs/hobbyists, like Adam, usually end up doing a better job than the pros in Portland, frankly.  We need a return of the blogs, but it ain't going to happen.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#22 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, the good food blogs seemed to have faded away for the most part.    Even this board has slowed considerably from a few years back.. I mean it makes sense.. but still sucks.

#23 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:55 AM

FF (Facebook Forever)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#24 Emile

Emile
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

Shoutout for Ben Waterhouse, who I thought did a nice job at the WW and also doing good work currently with his cheap eats column in the O.  He recently reviewed Alle Amin. a tiny Somali place in Montavilla that's now on my list to try.

#25 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

Adam, a member here (and pizza expert/afficionado), did a thing on macarons in the O a year or two ago:

http://www.oregonliv...ons_the_to.html

Places mentioned: Nuvrei, Maurice, Two Tarts, Pearl, Farina, Papa Haydn, Ken's Artisan, Pix

To that I can add:

Hungry Heart (a new bakery and coffee joint off of SE Stark on SE 80th - yes, finally a choice other than Red & Black...they also make croissant and bialys. The bialys are not really all that great if you think of them as bialys...but if you think of them as oniony rolls they aren't too bad ;o)

The Sugar Cube
Lovejoy Bakers
Moonstruck Chocolate
Frice
St. Honoré

I wasn't trying that hard...and I didn't include out of Portland proper or gluten-free bakeries...

Yeah...lots of macarons...no, don't know why.  Just thought I would confirm your observation as fact-based reality.  ;o)

Now I know who to blame-- it was Adam who started this macaroon craze!

#26 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

I see three causes of the craze:

1) it's a blank canvas for wacky flavors (gosh knows we love silly combos in our ice cream)

2) low per unit cost so you can try a couple

3) gluten free crowd has limited dessert options

#27 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:42 PM

They're everywhere, and I personally don't understand the fascination.  I don't care for them at all, but figure I'm the only person in Portland who thinks this.  

#28 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

They're everywhere, and I personally don't understand the fascination.  I don't care for them at all, but figure I'm the only person in Portland who thinks this.  

No, actually you're not; we're in accord on this. It's not that I dislike them, I just never understood them. If you said , "Let's go out and get some chocolate chip cookies, I'd be like "Yeah!" If you said, "Hey, let's go out and find some macaroons," I'd be like, "Err. . Why?"

#29 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

I agree, they taste like airy diabetes.

#30 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

I love a good macaroon.. so screw all y'all.

#31 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:27 PM

I agree, they taste like airy diabetes.

This.  Pure sugar bombs.  Not my thing, I don't get it.

#32 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

OMG...I have so missed this here!  

Macarons taste like airy diabetes?!  HA! That's gold, right there!

I love you guys, let's bring this old site back to life.  There's plenty to talk about...and no one is talking other than the professional media and the PDX PR Machine...people that are paid to talk.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#33 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:30 AM

Well, with all you macaroon haters not sure I want to be part of this site anymore.

..and I didn't even know this was some kind of craze.

Not like I'm gonna seek them out.. not a big sweet fan as is.

Someone go get Ken and 'Nuki back and let's start a fight.. and it'll really be old times.

#34 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:03 AM

OMG...I have so missed this here!  

Macarons taste like airy diabetes?!  HA! That's gold, right there!

I love you guys, let's bring this old site back to life.  There's plenty to talk about...and no one is talking other than the professional media and the PDX PR Machine...people that are paid to talk.

Trying to do my part 😉

What's interesting is that I've had this discussion with fellow LA Chowhounds, about how CH was great when it was a small band of passionate, knowledgeable folks. But it began to fail as it became popular. We'd discussed starting a local board with curated membership to try and enhance the signal-to-noise radio. It seems like that's what you've got here. I know I had a pickle of a time trying to get through the front door... Maybe it would be a good idea to crack own the door a little wider? At least temporarily?

Mr Taster

#35 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:21 AM

That's not the issue.  Facebook is.  But even before Facebook, you really only had a couple people adding content.  A lot of that content was mine and I've gotten busy enough lately that I haven't been able to add content.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#36 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

Your blog when it was part of the forums, well sorta.. was freaking awesome Nick.    I mean, I'm glad you're doing your thing now.. and all that.. but I get all nostalgic about the old times too.

Of course my nostalgia isn't paying your mortgage..  :think:

Facebook is such a shitty alternative overall to something like PF.org though.. I know it's easier for people.. they are already there.. their audience is there I guess.. but still.. it's not like I'm really posting up reports all the time either these days.   I still go out, just not snapping any pics or keeping any notes.

#37 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:14 AM

I'm not snapping pics anymore either, but I do try and come back and post when I have a particularly good (or awful) experience.  Or if I go to a new place that doesn't have a lot written about it..

Go for it, everyone, all it takes is all of us coming back and posting...

#38 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

I guess the other thing is I haven't explored much of the new openings.. really hitting up places been there and done that most of the time.

#39 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:51 PM

I tried to upload pictures last week, but it said I had exceeded my limit.

There's actually a new wave of food bloggers out there, but I gather it's viewed as being "professional," with the hope of a book deal down the road. And they all go to the same "safe" places, with no real critique whatsoever. Without getting too personal, because they all seem like lovely people, I think these new bloggers are an extension of the professional media "hype."

It's not that I'm adverse to macaroons, it's just that I don't get the hype. The young lady at Farina Bakery makes what appear to be lovely macaroons. When I do revisit that French cookie, that's where I'll go. (I'll take pics.)

#40 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

You have to use a photo hosting site, you can't upload directly to the site. I usually use Flckr (yes, it still exists), but any should work.

There's some info here that should help, it's old, but I think it should still work: http://portlandfood....sting pictures